• abundance211
      $.10-$.10 No Limit HE (Real)
      Seat 0: mas2245 ($10.75 in chips)
      Seat 1: VANINI22 ($7.25 in chips)
      Seat 2: eralberto ($2.70 in chips)
      Seat 3: amazonka777 ($9.45 in chips)
      Seat 4: feneck1974 ($23.90 in chips)
      Seat 5: 9voodoo9 ($10.35 in chips)
      Seat 6: banban93 ($2.55 in chips) (on the button)
      Seat 7: SKardel2 ($19.80 in chips)
      Seat 8: abundance211 ($2.40 in chips)
      Seat 9: bilou-77 ($11.35 in chips)

*** Blind Bet Round *** :
      SKardel2 : Post Blind ($.05)
      abundance211 : Post Blind ($.10)

Dealt to abundance211: 10:spade:
      Dealt to abundance211: A :diamond:

*** Pre-Flop *** :
      bilou-77 : Fold
      mas2245 : Call ($.10)
      VANINI22 : Fold
      eralberto : Fold
      amazonka777 : Fold
      feneck1974 : Call ($.10)
      9voodoo9 : Call ($.10)
      banban93 : Call ($.10)
      SKardel2 : Call ($.05)
      abundance211 : Check

*** Flop *** : 9 :spade: 7 :spade: A :heart: (pot $0.60, 5 players)
      SKardel2 : Check
      abundance211 : Check
      mas2245 : Check
      feneck1974 : Check
      9voodoo9 : Bet ($.40)
      banban93 : Fold
      SKardel2 : Call ($.40)
      abundance211 : Fold
      mas2245 : Fold
      feneck1974 : Fold

My questions:

1. since I had a free play from BB should I make the initial continuation bet of 2/3 the pot, with top pair? I think my kicker was decent.

2. And then - how much to bet? And if there would be raise on my bet - what then should I do? I have no read on the opponents.

3. In this hand I checked. 1 player bet what I think was a continuation bet and 1 other player called. Should I call, raise or fold as I did?
  • 4 replies
    • Berliner1982
      First, their is no such thing as a continuation bet if their was no one who had the initative in the betting round before. ;)

The bet here could come from a weaker Ace or any other made hand. The caller could also hold a made hand or a draw, like Flush- or Straightdraw. You have Top Pair with a decent kicker here, so you have a decision to make. Its either push or fold here. Calling isn´t an option, since you don´t want to allow drawing hands to draw cheaply.

There is a good chance that you´re ahead here, unless somebody has Two Pair or a set here, since a better Ace as Top Pair is unlikely, since AJ+ most likely would have raised preflop. So if you think that you´re ahead here, go all-in and put pressure on the drawing hands and weaker Aces. But with action in front of you and 2 more players behind you to act, a fold is good as well. :)

I think in general the fold is the best option here. Against 2 or 3 opponents on the other hand I would have pushed most of the times.
    • xylere
      Totally agree with Berliner - against 4+ fold, against 3 or less - push
    • abundance211
      Many thanks to both of you, Berliner1982 and xylere :)

I am really learning a lot through your answers and it is a great tool to improve my game.

Good luck at the tables
    • abundance211
      To Berliner1982,

Originally posted by Berliner1982
      First, their is no such thing as a continuation bet if their was no one who had the initative in the betting round before. ;)
      Well, you made me look for the definition of "continuation bet". And here is what I found:

"In the large majority of cases where you are a pre-flop aggressor, you will not have a hand on the flop that justifies playing on. It's the same for your opponents. This often leads to a situation where nobody has a made hand or a strong draw on the flop. The one who bluffs first will win in these cases. On the other hand, some opponents will already be shaken by your display of power pre-flop and will fold against another bet from you. Such a bet that is a „logical" extension of the pre-flop action and intends to win the pot directly is called a continuation bet." (from the teaser of an article for Silver rank)

Thank you once again and Happy New Year ;)