Time to Grind (Hu SNG)

• Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Time to Grind

Welcome to my third blog. Some of you may know me already and some may not. So here's a small introduction.

Introduction

I'm an 18 year old student living in Holland. I'm currently studying game programming. I started playing poker about 2,5 years ago. Have been playing about 16 months with real cash. I've never deposited to any poker site so far with my own money because i like to keep poker and real money seperated. I basically started with playing sng's. after almost thousand sng's i still had not managed to win any money. i had won over $250 in freerolls however. I've played about any type of sitngo there is. Multitable (18,27,45,90,180), singletable, DoN, Headsup, Knockout. But i did not find any succes anywhere. You can read my sng journey mostly in my old blog which is actualy seperated in two parts.My first blog (sng)

My second blog (cash) was a very short one. And i never really finished it. Basicaly my goal was to just exploit players with sick agression and completely outplaying them. I think i succeeded in that fairly good and i still believe it's a very profitable style. Even though very high variance and you need a very good knowledge about the game to make it work. I was onetabling and always playing A game. It ended with an epic NL25 session and a 2308 BB pot. For the people interested in how my experimental cash game blog ended i will put it in these spoiler tags below including graph.

I already wrote a post about the epic session so i will just quote that here below. It's even sicker if you consider my bankroll was just $250 at the beginning of that session.

Originally posted by Hahaownedlolz
      I don't like to complain about bad beats and when i do i usualy post them in a blog and don't bother people with it :D But the session i just played was sick beyond words. At the table there was 1 very loose agressive and very spewy guy who would suddenly shove preflop as much as 6 hands in a row every once in a while. Usualy for no apparant reason and his hand range seemed to be "I'm feeling lucky with this hand". For example shoving 600BB preflop with J6 offsuit with no action before that. I will call him "Mark".
      Some pics of that session below. And some info about the session below that.

The graph. 1tabling NL25 SH. a bit more then 2 hours played.

I was running quite badly from the start. and was already down 84 BB at hand 25 running 204 BB under EV. I tried to play as many hands as i could with Mark and called his all ins very lightly.

in hands 25-50 i started running into alot of coolers and setups. i had lost 746 BB over 7 Buyins. Running almost 3BI under ev And i have to admit i was steaming worse then Phil Helmuth in the wsop 2009 main event at this point.

hand 50 I just snapcalled on tilt with Q3 after Mark went all in and a LAG player called. To be fair Q3 doesn't do that bad against Mark's range. Somehow i won the hand up against AJ and J8 (Mark). Losing all in after all in when crushing the other player and then being rewarded for the worst play i made this year was pretty funny to me. I called Mark's preflop all ins another 3 times in the next 7 hands winning every one of them(I did have good hands however). The biggest pot i won was 1030 BB

During hand 92 is really where it was getting quite rediculous. I made the screenshot above a few hands before that.
      I was actualy pretty scared to play with Mark because he doubled up a few times from $60 to $300 in the last 20 hands or so. Sitting with a 12BI stacked however i don't really want to call any all in without QQ+ preflop against him. Preflop was a bit dissapointing.. he checks i cbet a bit weak. If i see it now i should have cbet more especially cause of very draw heavy board. I just don't know what to do at this point. His range is pretty much anything he could have Jx, Qx, 2 pair, trips and a ton of draws. Yet i didn't snapcall, i didn't want to make the call cause it was so much money. But i knew i simply couldn't fold since the chance i was beat here was very small.

$577 pot = 2308 big blinds = 23 Buyins

$0.10/$0.25 Ante $0.05 No Limit Holdem
      PokerStars
      6 Players
      Stacks:
      Mark ($289.44)
      UTG+1 ($74.93)
      CO ($64.10)
      Hero ($339.31)
      SB ($172.81)
      BB ($173.13)

Pre-Flop: ($0.65, 6 players) Hero is BTN A:heart: A:diamond:
      Mark raises to $2.75, 2 folds, Hero raises to $7.75, 2 folds, Mark calls $5

Flop: J:diamond: Q:heart: 4:heart: ($16.15, 2 players)
      Mark checks, Hero bets $9, Mark goes all-in $281.64, Hero calls $272.64

Turn: 9:club: ($579.43, 2 players, 1 all-in)

River: 9:diamond: ($579.43, 2 players, 1 all-in)

Final Pot: $579.43
      Hero shows two pair, Aces and Nines
      A:heart: A:diamond:
      Mark shows three of a kind, Nines
      9:spade: 10:diamond:

Mark wins $577.43 (net +$287.99)

Hero lost $289.44

Summary:
      127 hands of NL25 singletabling.
      Biggest pot won: 515 BB
      Biggest pot lost: 2308 BB
      profit: -$191 = -764 BB = more then 7 Buyins lost
      bb/100: -601
      expected value profit: $123 = almost 5 Buyins
      12 buyins under EV = running 10BB under EV every hand that session.
      Biggest swings: 1200 BB
      Pots played over 100BB: 25
      Pots played over 200BB: 13
      Pots played over 500BB: 7

So the next time your down 10 Buyins in thousands of hands. Visit this thread and think "It could be worse, I could be this guy :D ". with a big smile on your face.

My total cash game graph over a total of 5 months.

To make it clear The highest red line is my nonshowdown winnings. the one just below that is my expected value. I feel like it's rather unimportant considering my playing style. As you can see.. there's alot more value to be gained before showdown as one may think. With a bit more knowledge and a bit more balance i feel i could absolutely crush NL25. Especially considering i did tilt during a session which ended up costing me about 2 buyins as i spewed it all away.

To give you a general idea of how sick my agression was i will post one of my favourite bluffs below.

I did not play the cards but the player in this hand (and in general thats how i played ofcourse). One would think you should do this vs a loose agressive player. But that isn't actualy true. He was a TAG that could laydown hands and tilting. He was starting to adjust to my agression and getting frustrated and i picked up on that. Quite simply put there isn't a hand in his range he would reraise preflop with that would hit this board and he either had and overpair or air. Considering how loose agressive i was there isn't a board that isn't realistcally in my range. He was aware of that.. hence the "clown hit"(clown hit the board again/gets lucky again). Beside that i know he simply can not call an all in with anything less then top pair here.

$0.10/$0.25 No Limit Holdem
      PokerStars
      3 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

Stacks:
      Hero ($34.25)
      SB ($29.28)
      BB ($26.87)

Pre-Flop: ($0.35, 3 players) Hero is BTN 4:heart: 2:heart:
      Hero raises to $0.75, SB raises to $2.50, BB folds, Hero calls $1.75

Flop: 8:club: 3:spade: 7:heart: ($5.25, 2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $3, SB raises to $8.10, Hero goes all-in $31.75, SB folds, SB says "Clown hit"

Final Pot: $45.10
      Hero shows high card Eight
      4:heart: 2:heart:

Hero wins $44.10 (net +$9.85)

SB lost $10.60

Heads up sng

As you could read i started poker with heads up sng's. However it wasn't until almost a year later i actualy gave them a good try. I was struggling to make a profit.. in fact i was running at -10% ROI at the $5-$6 sng's the first 60 i played. I thought i could beat them easy. but i had no confidence and it was extremely demotivating to not see a profit. Since i had never had a solid winrate over a decent sample in anything but $0,25 sngs did not help reassure me i could beat them. I continued with playing sng's. And about a year ago now a good friend of mine Ionut who's also a member of this forum said he was beating hu sng's and i gave it another try. in 2010 i played around 200 headsup sng total my roi was still negative and i simply couldn't find the motivation or confidence to play alot because i kept losing. During that time i also made my cash game blog. overall 2010 was a year of very little poker.

Over the last few months i wanted to play poker seriously again. Put in more volume then i ever have and take the game alot more serious then before. I got alot of advice from Ionut and several members of a husng group. But more importantly i started thinking deeper about the game myself and asking alot more Why i bet/fold/check etc when i played. While i was unsuccesful in cash games i learned an incredible amount in those 1k hands because i was playing very focused and paying attention to every detail in how my opponents played. After the epic cash game session i decided i was going back to hu sng's. I decided to not make a blog till i had shown a profit over about a 100 of them.

I decided to just start at $10 headsup sng's with about $80 in my pokerstars account. I simply did not want to play anything lower then that. I started out with my very agressive style i had learned in cash games. I ran hot for the first few sng's and thought i was crushing my opposition extremely bad. I started to run pretty bad. And i was facing alot more players who had callingstation tendencies. My agressive style vs those types of players is almost like donating chips. It was very hard for me to play these types of players cause it forced me to play the complete opposite as how i wanted to play.
      The last 40 or so i started playing the "no blind increase" hu sng to exploit the players even more. I really like them so far and i think it's the best type of sng for my playing style. Ironically these types of sng seem to attract the tight/passive callingstation type players but that didn't stop me from playing them

The result of my first 100 headsup sng's below. Personally i felt i ran extremely bad in the regular heads up sng. And i feel like the EV line really isn't important at all especially in sng's. You can run very bad and it won't show in the ev line and vice versa. But i decided to include it anyway.
      Why HEM all in ev line is flawed
      I played a hand today that shows exactly why the HEM EV line is very flawed.
      preflop: i have 86% to win and 14% to lose
      flop: i have 85% to win.
      turn: 23% chance to win.

Now cause i put the money in behind almost 4 to 1 i'm $14 above EV in that hand ($11 buyin). Which obviously does not make sense. I'm crushing him preflop. i hit a good flop and get extremly unlucky on the turn. i usually reraise more then only to 630 but it wouldn't have mattered anyway. i would absolutely never fold this turn vs this player and he made a terrible call on the flop. i mean even if he hits his 6 or 7 it's very likely he's beat. Replay a hand like this a 100 times i expect to be ahead probably 99 times. Players would do this with Ax hands, two pair and lower sets at these stakes. So in reality i should only be about $2-3 over EV. but instead it shows im above EV more then a whole buying while i didn't get lucky at all.

No Limit Holdem Tournament
      PokerStars
      2 Players
      $10.50+$0.50

Stacks:
      Hero (1,305)
      BB (1,695)

Blinds: 15/30

Pre-Flop: (45, 2 players) Hero is SB 8:spade: 8:heart:
      Hero raises to 60, BB calls 30

Flop: A:club: 4:heart: 8:diamond: (120, 2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets 75, BB calls 75

Turn: 5:spade: (270, 2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets 165, BB raises to 330, Hero raises to 630, BB goes all-in 1,560, Hero goes all-in 540

River: A:heart: (3,000, 2 players, 2 all-in)

Final Pot: 3,000
      Hero shows a full house, Eights full of Aces
      8:spade: 8:heart:
      BB shows a straight, Four to Eight
      6:heart: 7:diamond:

Hero wins 2,610 (net +1,305)

BB collects 390 (net -1,305)

I however feel like this graph does not truly represent my winrate. I ran extremely bad in the regular headsup running at -0.1% roi. And while i often multitabled the NBI i'm currently running at 27% ROI. what's even more funny is the more tables i played simultaniously the higher my ROI has been. I do not really plan to go back to regular hu sng unless i get very little action at the NBI. I've also improved alot during this period and my style has also changed alot so all in all it's not that accurate. (I learned to shift gears alot better and adjust to weak/tight callingstation type players).

Lifetime SNG graph

the parts where it goes up are mostly 12 tabling $0,25 45man tournies with about 100% roi. the rest is pretty much trying out different types of sng's and failing horribly at them. And the last few hundred are heads up sng.

• 78 replies
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Goals

Short term goals (1 month):
      - Grind about $120 next 3 days and play Sunday Million 5M guaranteed.
      - Continue playing $10 HU till i reach about $500 and then move up to 20s.
      - Get a subscription to husng.com

medium/long term goals(2-3 monts):
      - Notice tilt earlier and more importantly become more resistant to it
      - beat $20s with 10% roi
      - always keep improving
      - keep asking myself why i do something while playing. (Why i'm betting this flop. Why i'm raising him. Why i should fold here. basicaly the reasons why you make the plays you do)

(also yes i know it's incredibly stupid to play SM upcomming sunday. i actualy don't even have money for 1Buyin at this moment. However it's something i really want to do so i hope i can achieve the necessary bankroll to play it($320+). And then i'll see how it goes.)
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Running disgustingly sick today.
      Rant below
      Vs one guy.. i was ahead 2k to 1k.. it goes all in preflop TT vs A5. he wins.. he disconnects.. and gets back 400 to 2,6k.. wins 2 more all ins in a row.. i miss every single draw and board and he keeps reraising and betting against me almost every hand.. 2BI under ev in just that game and that doesn't even count for the fact that i missed every fucking draw and board.

One of the more interesting hands in the session was this one. It was vs a callingstation who'd minbet when he was drawing. so trying to see the next card cheap. I reraise him on flop ofcourse hoping he folds it.. again on turn.. and decide to shove on river.. there couldn't be a more perfect card. i played it like a set . i don't see how a good player can call anything but 5x and 9x here. even calling 5x is a mistake imo. There was offcourse two problems.. 1 he hit his king on the turn.. 2 he's a callingstation that can't fold hands. So overall i like my bluff. But i shouldn't have done it against a callingstation.. i didn't know he was that bad. but oh well. as for why potsize and not like 2/3 potsize bet.. At $10's all the fish just overbet pot when they hit the nuts.. i've seen it like a 100 times already.. so this looks so much like i got 9x that i'd never get called by a good reg. but i'm happy.. this is the type of agression i want to get back into my game.. and he would have folded if he hadn't hit hit K or J which is 75% of the time. Almost all my reads were right so far so i just have to be more careful what type of player i do it against.
      this hand is also a perfect example of how you can beat yourself by thinking more then one level above you opponent.. i automatically assume everyone at these stakes atleast thinks lvl2.. but this is guy obviously a lvl 1 thinker.

Stacks:
      Hero (1,050)
      BB (1,950)

Pre-Flop: (45, 2 players) Hero is SB Q:spade: 7:diamond:
      Hero raises to 60, BB calls 30

Flop: 5:spade: 5:heart: 9:heart: (120, 2 players)
      BB bets 30, Hero raises to 90, BB calls 60

Turn: K:spade: (300, 2 players)
      BB bets 30, Hero raises to 180, BB calls 150

River: 9:diamond: (660, 2 players)
      BB bets 30, Hero goes all-in 720, BB calls 690

Final Pot: 2,100
      BB shows two pair, Kings and Nines
      J:heart: K:heart:
      Hero shows two pair, Nines and Fives
      Q:spade: 7:diamond:

BB wins 2,100 (net +1,050)

Hero lost 1,050

after that i played 4 matches with one super loose agressive guy. losing every all in first 2.. then the third this happens.. flop came i was like.. ofcourse he flops the straight again.. :f_mad:

Stacks:
      Hero (2,100)
      BB (900)

Pre-Flop: (45, 2 players) Hero is SB K:spade: A:club:
      Hero raises to 60, BB raises to 90, Hero goes all-in 2,100, BB goes all-in 810

Flop: 8:spade: 6:heart: 10:spade: (3,000, 2 players, 2 all-in)

Turn: J:diamond: (3,000, 2 players, 2 all-in)

River: Q:diamond: (3,000, 2 players, 2 all-in)

BB shows a straight, Eight to Queen
      9:diamond: 7:club:
      Hero shows a straight, Ten to Ace
      K:spade: A:club:

Hero wins 3,000 (net +900)

BB lost 900

he rematched ofcourse cause he just got unlucky ;) I make sick hero call next sng. I wont really mention why i knew he was bluffing there. But yeah i realised i'm ahead very often in this spot against this guy cause he'd very often shove all in on flops 10x the potsize and bluffed alot.

Stacks:
      Hero (2,100)
      BB (900)

Pre-Flop: (45, 2 players) Hero is SB 7:club: Q:club:
      Hero raises to 60, BB raises to 90, Hero calls 30

Flop: 7:heart: J:spade: 4:spade: (180, 2 players)
      BB goes all-in 810, Hero calls 810

Turn: 10:heart: (1,800, 2 players, 1 all-in)

River: 9:spade: (1,800, 2 players, 1 all-in)

Final Pot: 1,800
      Hero shows a pair of Sevens
      7:club: Q:club:
      BB shows high card Ace
      K:spade: A:club:

Hero wins 1,800 (net +900)

BB lost 900

Exept from that.. i'm getting pretty frustrated with running bad. I hope it's going to be over soon. What's even more frustrating is i'm getting bluffed alot. And i know they're bluffing but they just won't give up their hands. The disgusting thing is.. it's almost always when i don't have it. This ofcourse might sound like i don't remember when it do have it. But i think it's pretty rediculous how they manage to do it when i don't have it extremely often. I know it's not like i'm betting different pot sizes.. or playing the hands differently. It's in situations where i'd play the nuts exactly the same and they bluff me out of pot. Maybe i'm just not being patient enough.. But these players are so incredibly terrible.. and just keep getting lucky.
    • taavi1337
      taavi1337
      Bronze
      Lol that bluff with Q7 is just horrible imo, especially if you know that he's a fishy calling station. Funny blog though, especially all the whining and angst. I hope to see more :f_love:
    • Huseens
      Huseens
      Bronze
      You sound like Phill Hellmuth.
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by taavi1337
      Lol that bluff with Q7 is just horrible imo, especially if you know that he's a fishy calling station. Funny blog though, especially all the whining and angst. I hope to see more :f_love:

I personally like it. Just shouldn't have tried it against this type of player. If you call Kx here you should also call Ax on the river imo. I'd play 5x and 9x the same way so if you can't fold your top pair/high card after i play a hand that strong that's easy money for me tbh :D

@Huseens care to explain? If there's something i don't like is people saying things without any arguements. Especially something that's insulting. I'm all for a discussion about strategy and hands i post. But just gtfo or don't be idiot basically.

--------------------------

Haven't been playing much last few days. Running pretty damn bad and i'm just a bit stressed lately so i tilt very fast. Might play some hu sng again tomorrow and try to sat the SM. Didn't manage to grind enough $ for it so ohwell. Hope i get lucky :D
    • Huseens
      Huseens
      Bronze
      Why is calling you Phil Hellmuth insulting?

Exept from that.. i'm getting pretty frustrated with running bad. I hope it's going to be over soon. What's even more frustrating is i'm getting bluffed alot. And i know they're bluffing but they just won't give up their hands. The disgusting thing is.. it's almost always when i don't have it. This ofcourse might sound like i don't remember when it do have it. But i think it's pretty rediculous how they manage to do it when i don't have it extremely often. I know it's not like i'm betting different pot sizes.. or playing the hands differently. It's in situations where i'd play the nuts exactly the same and they bluff me out of pot. Maybe i'm just not being patient enough.. But these players are so incredibly terrible.. and just keep getting lucky.

It just sounds like Phil Hellmuth. :D
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Huseens
      Why is calling you Phil Hellmuth insulting?

It just sounds like Phil Hellmuth. :D
      Players are really bad though.. this is vs a reg at these stakes. (he got mad when i sat him twice at same time). After i was 3betting him loose this is what happened. good start of the day. will be trying to put in good volume today.

PokerStars
      2 Players
      $10.50+$0.50

Stacks:
      SB (1,290)
      Hero (1,710)

Pre-Flop: (45, 2 players) Hero is BB 9:spade: 9:club:
      SB raises to 60, Hero raises to 180, SB calls 120

Flop: 4:club: 2:spade: 2:club: (360, 2 players)
      Hero bets 225, SB raises to 650, Hero goes all-in 1,530, SB goes all-in 460

Turn: 5:diamond: (3,000, 2 players, 2 all-in)

River: 3:heart: (3,000, 2 players, 2 all-in)
      Hero says "nice call"

SB shows a straight, Deuce to Six
      6:diamond: 4:diamond:
      Hero shows two pair, Nines and Deuces
      9:spade: 9:club:

SB wins 2,580 (net +1,290)

Hero collects 420 (net -1,290)
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      So i managed to sat my way to a SM ticket. Nearly won 2 tickets when i won first round of a shootout. (100 players max then winner from each (10man)table play eachother again). Top 4 of the table got tickets to SM, i finished 6th.

In sunday million. Got KK, opponent flops Aces. few hands later i get AA opponent flops top pair turns top two pair.. down to 2k chips after that.. I shove AJ preflop after pfr and a call with 12BB. i get called and don't get lucky vs JJ. Pretty dissapointed but ohwell. Extremely bad week overall but hopefully i'll run a bit better next week. Not much i could have done really played the kings perfectly. Could have folded to minraise on river in the AA hand but i'm still not too sure vs random player if it's right or not. Too many donks in the tournament to really give someone that much credit. but i had 3 to 1 odds to call so i don't think it was bad.
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Haven't played all week but i'll try to get some sessions in this weekend. been very busy in real life with school and other stuff :D To sum it up.
      I took back a hand i should have folded and got punished for playing it :f_p: . Hopefully i'll run a bit better. so far about 60 hu sng breakeven :f_mad:
    • martizzo
      martizzo
      Bronze
      Very interesting blog, I also play 5$ Deepstack head up at FTP.
      Will be following definately :)
    • wuttehhell
      wuttehhell
      Bronze
      I don't rlly like the Q7 hand either.. don't dislike it, but don't love it either because even if he's drawing to a flush with like 28 and he hits an 8 on the river, it's enough for a calling station to call you, so even if the flush doesn't complete, you still don't know if your good.

however if you really care to win that pot I'd rather c/c flop and turn and make a bigish bet or raise on the river.

very nice read on him though.

will be following.

ps.
      deep stackz suck :P
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by wuttehhell

ps.
      deep stackz suck :P
      hehe. I like the play but i was going with my reads a bit too much. And forgetting no matter how great your read is.. if he can't fold hands there's no point in trying to outbluff him :D Was just really stupid to do it against him. I don't really play deepstack sng. it's no blind increase and you start with 50bb so it really isn't that deep. I like them alot but i get very little action. I almost feel like a highstakes reg when is it there 5 mins waiting for action :D But occasionaly i'm playing some regs who are still quite bad. But my ROI does drop significantly then if i'd play only fish. (i don't bumhunt but i'm not going to sit a player i know is good).

Some news.. Some problems with my Pokerstars account. Basicaly i will be having to make a new account after i send an ID. Don't really want to put more details here. But i basicaly did it to myself to avoid any future problems and then they lock my account and accuse me of something they have no proof of. Luckily i can keep the money + I get to make a new account with a better name, a better pic (I'm thinking either a very attractive women :f_love: or a trolling picture to tilt people :f_biggrin: ) and possibly also get tracked by pokerstrategy now. So actualy it's extremely good for me :D

I've been thinking a bit recently. and i'm planning to watch alot of vids on hu sng. And read 1 or 2 books on tournament poker. perhaps watching a few vids too. And basicaly playing some small donkaments next to hu sng. I'm really liking tournaments and always have.. they are just very time consuming. So hopefully everything will be fixed before sunday storm this sunday and i'll be playing in it. Also i'll probably start playing half NBI and half regular sng's since the action is just so little. But i think my lategame is quite bad so i want to improve it first. So for now i'm not able to play any poker :f_p: .
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      So i finally got it all sorted out with pokerstars. I made a new account which will quite possibly will be tracked to pokerstrategy.com. I'm not sure of that yet but i sent a ticket to support so i'm keeping my fingers crossed :f_thumbsup: . I've decided to NOT say the new name.. And i intend to keep it a secret.
      I'm currently waiting for the money to be transferred to my moneybookers account. And someone has lent me $11 to play in the sundaystorm.. which is a bit lame.. cause i could have gotten a free ticket if i had deposited in time.. but unfortunately there is no time for that.

So all in all this is what i got out of it:

Pros

- New and better pokerstars name. (it was equal to this pokerstrategy name which i now hate. it just seems immature)
      - Fresh clean start with my pokerstars account.
      - Deposit bonus (i actualy still had it on old account since i never deposited).
      - And possibly can get my account tracked to pokerstrategy.

Cons
      - 1 week no poker :f_frown:

Sunday Storm update: Busted out of Sunday Storm first 20 minutes. Almost all to one complete retard who can't fold hands. Barely had me outkicked twice in spots he should never even have called my raises. Last hand i check/reraise his bluff all in with A10 high.. he calls and shows AJ. I don't ask to run like god but come on.. Really disgusting hands.. Also got AA.. flop comes 9JK 3 spades.. i bet a lil over 3/4th pot.. get a call.. turn comes 7 of spades and i hold none.. check/check turn.. had to fold river to a small valuebet begging me to call. Perhaps i need to change my tournament strategy to a more passive/tight way. But don't feel like i made any major mistakes.

The tournament went bad from the start. Will post just this one hand. I pick up AJ. first hand of the tournament.. decide to just limp it. You could argue that's terrible. But i figured there might be some retards that shove first hand of tournament causing me to lose chips for no reason. And my plan was to just get a good feel of the table and play very tight in the beginning.(obviously not how it went).
      Flop: Standard check/call. No reason to reraise here. Not many draws.. there aren't any worse hands that are going to call Axx flops like these. I am a bit worried cause he bets nearly potsize which made me think he also had Ax
      Turn: I decide to continue to slowplay.. pick up 2 pair so now i'm in very good shape. There is a spade draw out there.. but it's very unlikely either of them has one. Either way. if the person is bluffing then he'd probably give up on river anyway so there's no value in just calling. There are now quite a few straight and flush draws out there so i decide to reraise.
      River: I'm still quite happy about my hand. I don't think there's anything worse calling me now exept maybe some terrible player with Ax or lower 2 pair(both unlikely). And if i bet i give them a great oppurtinity to shove all in on me if they did suck out. Obviously pretty bad river card. it completes some straight draws.. like 3-7 or 78 but it's so unlikely he has those hands. He bets quite small so i decide to call and see the bad news.

PokerStars
      9 Players
      $10+$1

Stacks:
      UTG (3,000)
      hahaownedlolz (UTG+1) (3,000)
      MP1 (3,000)
      MP2 (3,000)
      MP3 (3,000)
      CO (3,000)
      BTN (3,000)
      SB (3,000)
      BB (3,000)

Blinds: 10/20

Pre-Flop: (30, 9 players) hahaownedlolz is UTG+1 J:diamond: A:spade:
      1 fold, hahaownedlolz calls 20, 1 fold, MP2 raises to 40, 3 folds, SB calls 30, 1 fold, hahaownedlolz calls 20

Flop: 5:heart: A:diamond: 4:spade: (140, 3 players)
      SB checks, hahaownedlolz checks, MP2 bets 120, SB calls 120, hahaownedlolz calls 120

Turn: J:spade: (500, 3 players)
      SB checks, hahaownedlolz checks, MP2 bets 220, SB folds, hahaownedlolz raises to 600, MP2 calls 380

River: 6:spade: (1,700, 2 players)
      hahaownedlolz checks, MP2 bets 680, hahaownedlolz calls 680

Final Pot: 3,060
      hahaownedlolz shows
      J:diamond: A:spade:
      MP2 shows a flush, King high
      K:spade: Q:spade:

MP2 wins 3,060 (net +1,620)

SB lost 160
      hahaownedlolz lost 1,440

(for some reason weaktight shows my old username even though it wasn't in the handhistory.)

I could have reraised turn bigger and probably should have also considering he already bet quite little on the turn. He still had bad odds to call and i was a 3 to 1 favorite. Going to put some more thought into what the optimal reraise sizes are in certain spots since i've never really thought that much about it.

I know it's quite rediculous to complain about 1 tournament.. i just get my hopes up when playing such big tournaments. And just to run absolutely terrible for the second time just sucks badly :f_frown: Hopefully stars transfers my money quickly so i can play some hu sng again.
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Got some great news. my pokerstars account got tracked :D I've also received the funds from pokerstars and deposited it again. I really want to play. But i haven't slept all day so i really don't think that's a good idea :f_p: So just a small update. Hopefully i will be able to do some grinding this week.

Making hero calls alot used to lose me alot of chips. Since then i stopped hero calling completly. But recently i've made some great hero calls so i'm keeping my eyes open for the right spots. I had a few hands but i can only seem to find this one. It's quite hard for me to explain my reads.. I'm not sure why.. I'd really like to explain in great detail why i thought this guy had air here. But it's just how he played and the dynamics of the game.. He never showed a reraise bluff in the entire match but it just felt like a bluff.

There is some thought put behind it though. since you hit the flop 1/3 times it means 2/3 when i cbet i will have air and it's likely people would also fold bottom/medium pairs to an all in reraise. I assumed my opponent knew this. Since i cbet nearly every single time i 3bet oop this is great way to take chips from your opponent since you'll win the pot a large percentage of the time. Since it's unlikely he can make the call with Ax hands for example. And else it's likely you still have some outs since you should have a good hand cause you called the 3bet preflop. That aside. there is no reason to reraise flop with Qx hands so only 8x, 3x, low pocket pairs and air are realistically in his range. So i made the call and saw the good news :s_cool:

PokerStars
      2 Players
      $10.50+$0.50

Stacks:
      SB (945)
      hahaownedlolz (BB) (2,055)

Pre-Flop: (45, 2 players) hahaownedlolz is BB A:club: 9:heart:
      SB raises to 60, hahaownedlolz raises to 165, SB calls 105

Flop: Q:diamond: 8:heart: 3:spade: (330, 2 players)
      hahaownedlolz bets 210, SB goes all-in 780, hahaownedlolz calls 570

Turn: 10:diamond: (1,890, 2 players, 1 all-in)

River: 8:club: (1,890, 2 players, 1 all-in)
      SB says "opps"

Final Pot: 1,890
      SB shows two pair, Tens and Eights
      K:heart: 10:spade:
      hahaownedlolz shows a pair of Eights
      A:club: 9:heart:

SB wins 1,890 (net +945)

hahaownedlolz lost 945
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      hey i just moved to stars if u wana have a match 2-4tabbing these im happy to :) or even the $5 if u want :)
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fusionpk
      hey i just moved to stars if u wana have a match 2-4tabbing these im happy to :) or even the $5 if u want :)

Wouldn't mind doing some matches for fun (or to improve eachother). but not 4tabling. I've done fun matches against much better players and don't mind doing it. But it's not to gain money so i have no reason to multitable. Most i play in any case would be 2. I wanna play a week or so again when my br is hopefully a bit bigger we can do some matches. A nasty downswing at this time could really end up costing me a big chuck of my bankroll.
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      im happy to 2 tab and play lower like the $5 or even $2 if u want, just for fun and to improve game vs reggy plrs.
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      sure. Not today though.. only slept like 2 hours today during class :f_mad: Might be able to play tomorrow but i don't think i will have time since i will be going to cinema with a friend. So just add me here on pokerstrategy and i'll let you know ;)
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Finally played some poker today.. i'm like shocked.. Just crazy the session i just played.. I've made such sick reads and i'm just surprised. It feels like i'm rising above myself. The first session was probably one of the most crazy players i've ever played against. Only played 3 games this session and won all 3. I might play some more but i truly can't believe how good my reads have been.

This was by far the worst play i made this session. I'll put it in spoilers cause it's just that terrible. and not very interesting.

It was the third hand in the sng. I hate these minraises preflop. then he just kept betting weak on flop/turn. I figured i'd try to bluff him out of the pot on the turn if a good card came. A 3 is one of the worst cards that could have came.. and an 8 didn't help either. It's just not likely i'm going to call flop/turn with 8x hand then reraise with it on river. The only hand which might be possible would have been J8 but that was a bit unlikely since that's what he had. River call was just bad and spewy.. i really had no reason to assume he was doing it with air. He also bet 3x the size he did previous which makes it even worse. For some reason i called. I blame it on the poker break tbh :f_p: . It did wake me up and made me realise i shouldn't just assume players play like that.

Stacks:
      hahaownedlolz (SB) (1,530)
      BB (1,470)

Pre-Flop: (45, 2 players) hahaownedlolz is SB A:diamond: 6:heart:
      hahaownedlolz raises to 60, BB raises to 90, hahaownedlolz calls 30

Flop: 3:club: 2:diamond: J:spade: (180, 2 players)
      BB bets 60, hahaownedlolz calls 60

Turn: 3:spade: (300, 2 players)
      BB bets 60, hahaownedlolz calls 60

River: 8:heart: (420, 2 players)
      BB bets 180, hahaownedlolz calls 180

Final Pot: 780
      hahaownedlolz shows
      A:diamond: 6:heart:
      BB shows two pair, Jacks and Eights
      J:heart: 8:club:

BB wins 780 (net +390)

hahaownedlolz lost 390

The match actualy wasn't as interesting as i thought but this is a pretty funny hand. the first 10 hands or so i wasn't sure if he was a genius or a donkey (same guy as spoiler). But i quickly realised he was a huge maniac (very agressive but he'd bet little vs potsize and callingstation tendencies). Now my plan here was just to get some chips if i hit my flush. So on the river i wasn't sure what to do. The range i put him on was Jx, 10x and even a larger part complete air(includes busted draws). My pair of sixes just felt good here.

Stacks:
      hahaownedlolz (SB) (1,545)
      BB (1,455)

Pre-Flop: (45, 2 players) hahaownedlolz is SB 6:diamond: 3:diamond:
      hahaownedlolz raises to 60, BB raises to 90, hahaownedlolz calls 30

Flop: J:club: A:diamond: 10:diamond: (180, 2 players)
      BB bets 90, hahaownedlolz calls 90

Turn: 6:club: (360, 2 players)
      BB bets 90, hahaownedlolz calls 90

River: 5:club: (540, 2 players)
      BB bets 120, hahaownedlolz calls 120

Final Pot: 780
      hahaownedlolz shows a pair of Sixes
      6:diamond: 3:diamond:
      BB shows a pair of Fours
      4:heart: 4:spade:

hahaownedlolz wins 780 (net +390)

BB lost 390

This was actualy first hand of sng. standard raise.. he minraises.. i just 3bet not really for any specific or good reason. he 4bet me and now i wasn't really happy.. i obviously can't fold but this did worry me. He donkbet shoves.. and i'm like what? :f_o: Luckily i made 2nd pair top kicker so i actualy wasn't too worried i was beat.. shoving like this just looks so incredibly weak to me i didn't have to think long to make the call. (people just don't do this with top pair or better hands). I realise this looks pretty spewy but w/e :f_love:

Stacks:
      hahaownedlolz (SB) (1,500)
      BB (1,500)

Pre-Flop: (45, 2 players) hahaownedlolz is SB 9:spade: A:diamond:
      hahaownedlolz raises to 60, BB raises to 90, hahaownedlolz raises to 270, BB raises to 450, hahaownedlolz calls 180

Flop: 7:heart: K:diamond: 9:club: (900, 2 players)
      BB goes all-in 1,050, hahaownedlolz goes all-in 1,050

Turn: 3:diamond: (3,000, 2 players, 2 all-in)

River: 7:diamond: (3,000, 2 players, 2 all-in)

hahaownedlolz shows two pair, Nines and Sevens
      9:spade: A:diamond:
      BB shows a pair of Sevens
      2:heart: 4:diamond:

hahaownedlolz wins 3,000 (net +1,500)

BB lost 1,500

This was the third sng. I was completly crushing him. Again i tried to represent the flushdraw here. How this guy could make that call on the river.. i really don't know.. perhaps i should have reraised the turn but bluffing an A looks so incredibly weak tbh. Then the 3 comes.. again.. one of the worst cards for me to bluff on.. i should have just given it up at this point.. but i just didn't want to give up on the hand. he shows exactly what i thought he had. any J,Q,K or club on the river and i don't think he could have made the call.

Stacks:
      hahaownedlolz (SB) (2,055)
      BB (945)

Pre-Flop: (45, 2 players) hahaownedlolz is SB 2:club: 2:heart:
      hahaownedlolz raises to 60, BB calls 30

Flop: 10:club: 3:club: 4:club: (120, 2 players)

Turn: A:heart: (360, 2 players)
      BB bets 150, hahaownedlolz calls 150

River: 3:diamond: (660, 2 players)
      BB checks, hahaownedlolz bets 390, BB calls 390

Final Pot: 1,440
      hahaownedlolz shows two pair, Threes and Deuces
      2:club: 2:heart:
      BB shows two pair, Tens and Threes
      10:heart: J:spade:

BB wins 1,440 (net +720)

hahaownedlolz lost 720

Not sure what my obsession with representing a made flush was this session but here i try it again and it works :D Also i actualy had a pretty good flushdraw myself on the turn and a pair.. but i would have done this with any hand.

Stacks:
      hahaownedlolz (SB) (1,065)
      BB (1,935)

Pre-Flop: (45, 2 players) hahaownedlolz is SB Q:spade: 3:heart:
      hahaownedlolz raises to 60, BB calls 30

Flop: 7:diamond: 8:spade: 3:spade: (120, 2 players)

Turn: 4:spade: (360, 2 players)
      BB checks, hahaownedlolz bets 210, BB folds

Final Pot: 570

hahaownedlolz wins 570 (net +180)

BB lost 180

Now this hand is a true beauty. I knew he had 8x or 10x here. He always potbetted with weak/made hands trying to get opponent to fold. I had already shown i could check/call and bet river with absolutely nothing. i was going to give up the hand on the turn unless at 5 or 9 came. i don't have the right odds to call on the flop or turn. But i knew he was going to stack me off and not give me credit for the straight if i did make it. especially if the 4 would come. (implied odds)

This i actually even funnier if you knew what my pokerstars name was but i don't want to tell it :D

Stacks:
      SB (1,695)
      Hero (BB) (1,305)

Pre-Flop: (45, 2 players) Hero is BB 6:spade: 7:club:
      SB calls 15, Hero checks

Flop: 8:spade: A:heart: 10:club: (60, 2 players)
      Hero checks, SB bets 60, Hero calls 60

Turn: 5:diamond: (180, 2 players)
      Hero checks, SB bets 120, Hero calls 120

River: 9:club: (420, 2 players)
      Hero checks, SB bets 210, Hero goes all-in 1,095, SB calls 885

Final Pot: 2,610
      Hero shows a straight, Six to Ten
      6:spade: 7:club:
      SB shows two pair, Tens and Fives
      10:heart: 5:spade:

Hero wins 2,610 (net +1,305)

SB lost 1,305

This was last hand of that sng. I thought pretty long actualy. The thing is. He's never going to minraise preflop with an Ax hand with such a small stack he shove it all in instead. Considering that it's unlikely he hit the 5 or 6 and even then i have some outs. And im still flipping vs flush/straight. The only thing i was really thinking about was: Does he have King high?. This was definetly a very real possibility. I tried to get an answer out of him in the chat but he did not bite :f_p: so i made the call.

Stacks:
      Hero (SB) (2,715)
      BB (285)

Pre-Flop: (45, 2 players) Hero is SB 4:club: Q:diamond:
      Hero raises to 60, BB raises to 90, Hero calls 30

Flop: A:club: 6:diamond: 5:club: (180, 2 players)
      BB goes all-in 195, Hero says "i beat 10 high", Hero calls 195

Turn: 4:heart: (570, 2 players, 1 all-in)

River: 9:club: (570, 2 players, 1 all-in)

Final Pot: 570
      Hero shows a pair of Fours - Ace+Queen kicker
      4:club: Q:diamond:
      BB shows a pair of Fours
      4:diamond: 7:diamond:

Hero wins 570 (net +285)

BB lost 285

Overall i'm really happy with how i played this session. Did make some terrible plays but also some really great hero calls.. What i got reminded/learned of was the following:
      - Don't just assume someone plays a certain way at the start of a sng. Just wait to watch how he plays and then adjust.
      - Pick better spots to bluff.. I really made some terrible bluffs. I've got to put more thought in what player i want to do it agaainst and in what spots i want to do it in. And more importantly.. know when to give up a bluff. I really hate to fold the hand after i already put chips in with a bluff cause it feels like i just threw the chips away. But should really keep in mind that i have to give it up just to minimise losses and not keep on bluffing. This session both times i tried a big bluff the turn/river cards were just absolutely terrible to still continue the bluff with. and i didn't give the hands up which ended up costing me a ton of chips.