How to get to the final table?

• pavels4444
      pavels4444
      Bronze
      Hi everybody,

I'll shortly speak about my poker past (first paragraph - u can skip it :) ) and then I'll tell you whats the problem.

Ive played online poker since summer 2010, no too long, but long enough to understand the game pretty well (in my opinion)
      I started with only 10 dollars (at that time, i had no idea about online play whatsoever :D ) I started playing NL2, went well but lost almost everything eventually. When I had 0,11$ I signed for my first sit and go tournament 0,10$ 360 players at pokerstars. Finished 2nd and then started playing turbo sit and goes first at 1 dollar limits then 3. Eventually I got kind of sick of it because turbos are all in donkfests and when i was getting unlucky almost all the time, i decided to switch to regular tourneys. While I was playing sng, i only played MTT's for couple times. I found them exciting but didnt have much time to play them) Since 2011 I decided to play basically just MTT's. If I didnt have time for those, i played heads up sng's (wanting to learn)

Currenly, I have a profit of only about 250$ (thanks to sit and goes)

Now I play MTT's 2-3x a week (since Im a student I have no more time for it, parties or studing are important too)
      I usually play about 6-8 tourneys in one evening at limits 1-5 dollars (used to play also 10$ daily 40 grand but then i heard of the thing called bankroll management :D )

According to pokerprolabs.com I played the total of 208 tourney with profit of -33$
      of course MTT's are only profitable when you reach final table from time to time.
      Thats my problem. I finished among the last 1% of the field many times (at least 10x out of 208 I played)
      As I recall, I recently finished:
      17/5300 5$ tourney
      29 and 33rd / 3000 3$ tourney
      Even higher finishes in 1 dollar tournements with again over 4000 players ...

I just cant seem to make the final table. I dont get nervous or anything but it seems like nothing is going my way when about 50 and less people are remaining. What should i do?

200 tourney is not a very big number, is it? Maybe it just needs time. But it is just flustrating when u finish this high and see the difference in pay outs ...

while writing this, im currently 15th in chips (2$ tourney 109 players remaining, 3700 started) hope i can make it this time :D
  • 17 replies
    • amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze
      Is probably just variance.
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Like he sad the variance in MTT's is pretty big and a sample of 200 games is pretty much nothing. A lot of very good players have 500 or 1000 games breakeven runs in those big field tournaments considering how large the payout jumps are.

I don't really have much experience in MTT's since i only play them on sundays, but i know last year i think i went like 3 or 4 months of not even cashing anything, let alone final tabling a MTT, but then in 1 day i managed to donk my way into 3 final tables. Now im hoping i can somehow lucksuck my way into the sunday million this weekend :)
    • pavels4444
      pavels4444
      Bronze
      hmm once again, finished 12th / 3700 coin flips at the end didnt go my way ...
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MatejM47
      Like he sad the variance in MTT's is pretty big and a sample of 200 games is pretty much nothing. A lot of very good players have 500 or 1000 games breakeven runs in those big field tournaments considering how large the payout jumps are.

I don't really have much experience in MTT's since i only play them on sundays, but i know last year i think i went like 3 or 4 months of not even cashing anything, let alone final tabling a MTT, but then in 1 day i managed to donk my way into 3 final tables. Now im hoping i can somehow lucksuck my way into the sunday million this weekend :)
      this pretty much. but even in normal sng's there's huge variance in 1k games.. in tournaments it's even worse.. So you really have to put in insane volume to really beat the variance.. or ofcourse crushing them really bad also reduces variance significantly.

Also hoping to play SM this sunday, but it's not gonna happen unless i luckbox the $11 sat :f_p:
    • OZSA
      OZSA
      Bronze
      I believe I played at least 200 MTTs (maybe more I never counted as winnings or losses) and I never made to final table, not even close, my best was final 3table loosing flop set vs runner runner..that was my best run, beside that.. not much..so it can be variance easily, lets say ur like top5 in chips and u get it in sb vs bb with qq vs aj and u loose, next time u do this with kk and a random a5 beats u..there u go, from even chipleader to busto.
    • shehanshah
      shehanshah
      Bronze
      Open loose and be aggressive pre-plop during the late stages, since most of the players are inexperienced at those buy-ins and are worried about the money jumps. They will put u on a big hand and u can easily steal the blinds or even the flop with a contibet. If you get 3 or 4bet, just fold.

Sometimes i even open with 6/10 suited from early and middle positions and easily get some chips. Dont play for big pots, play for small pots but many.But this is just my opinion, lets hear from a coach or sumfin.
    • JazBenz
      JazBenz
      Bronze
      hm I think it helps to decide early on that you wanna build a big stack... as in... your goal is to be chip leader, which of course can be very risky, cuz youll get knocked out if you get unlucky

however in smaller buy-in tournaments, I'm more likely to shove AK preflop than in one that is (to me) a bigger buy-in. My attiude then is, all or nothing. Often a lot of donks get lucky and get a huge stack early on, the really stupid donks then donk off the big stack and lose it all before the bubble lol (witnessed that today with someone) - the more skilled players will know how to play with a big stack and not donk it off.

Anyway, your mind frame has to be set on final table right from the start of the tournament, nothing else matters. You mustnt care about making the money (if your bankroll allows the loss) - it's all or nothing.

Out of my last 21 MTTs Ive reached 3 final tables. But I was disappointed anyway cuz I am yet to win one lol - I guess my main point is: mental mind frame/attidude while playing. Set it on final table but detach from the outcome and dont worry about making the money.
    • pavels4444
      pavels4444
      Bronze
      Thanks guys for the replies. I guess I just have to give it a time and some success will come. I feel like MTT's suit me well. I cash pretty often, get far often, hopefully will make the final tables often as well :D

Personally, I have been doing better at 6-Max tourneys. I like the blind stealing, agressive play wins at those tables. Since I started playing non - turbo tourneys, I feel like there is much more space for my game...

Many of you probably wonder ... well 1-5 dollars, its donkament anyway. I feel, that the play towards the end is not much different from higher limits. When I saw Sunday Million final table last week, I was like what the hell was that?
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Well thats because sunday million is super fishy since there are so many people that get in form sats. Probably around 2/3s gets in from sats or just deposit 200$ once a month to play it since pokerstars does a great marketing job with it. Compared to other MTTs at similar buy-in the million is by far the softest.
    • kiromanAAKK
      kiromanAAKK
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pavels4444

... 200 tourney is not a very big number, is it? Maybe it just needs time. ...
      this ;)
    • pavels4444
      pavels4444
      Bronze
      well, I dont have this problem any longer :f_biggrin:

At first I was referring to the tourney with thousands of people on PS ... well I never made it there since I stopped playing there (with a little profit not from MTT's)

I started focusing mainly on FTP Rush tourneys. Sng MTT's 1 dollar have around 500 people, I had over 200% ROI I think, won 2 times, second as well and some other final tables ... got second in 4 dollar rush after i moved up as well ... So my bankroll was nicely boosted (dont know how to spell the last word :D )

Today, I played my second 2 dollar rebuy rush 16,5 K guarantee and came 4th/2500 for 1421dollar :) ) by far the biggest cash so far, the one I wanted so much even though I havent played that many MTT's
      Although my main game lately is HU and I'm running well too, this really made my day (I was supposed to study for my exam whole evening :D )
      1st place was 4K which hurts when looking at it but im pretty happy with myself today. I feel Rush tournaments suit me well. The END, im going to sleep finally

I havent read it after myself, im so tired I gotta go to bed, obviously happy, maybe not worth the post but I feel better telling it here than at my fb page lol, bye
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Hi Pavels4444

congratz on your win!! Well done and keep them coming. Make sure you put it in $ One Million ($1,000,000) in a Year Challenge (2010/2011)! - Tournament Winnings thread

Good luck at the table

Thazar
    • FRODOFEET77
      FRODOFEET77
      Bronze
      I have over 4000 games played on stars and it has taken me about 500 to FT an event and i have just done 3 of them for $3.3k in 3 days (little brag) all the 3's hey, no wins but 3 top 5 finishes so it will come just stick at it and try to improve ur game a little each time u sit down to play, well done and gl at the tables. :D
    • pavels4444
      pavels4444
      Bronze
      Originally posted by FRODOFEET77
      I have over 4000 games played on stars and it has taken me about 500 to FT an event and i have just done 3 of them for $3.3k in 3 days (little brag) all the 3's hey, no wins but 3 top 5 finishes so it will come just stick at it and try to improve ur game a little each time u sit down to play, well done and gl at the tables. :D
      I also havent used HUD or any software before ... I think that helps as well ...
      And on Stars I meant those 2000 players+ MTT's. I have made FT in 180 mans of course but not in the huge ones...

3 in 3 days for 3,3K :D nice
    • FRODOFEET77
      FRODOFEET77
      Bronze
      ty i have never used any form of HUD (HM or PT) i need to but just havent got around to it yet
    • mancikaa
      mancikaa
      Bronze
      I think its very important that u find the tournament which suits you the best at all. You can chase the one big win, but i personally belive more in smaller cashes. i used to play a certain turbo mtt, which is 3-6 dollar buy in, usually with max 550 ppl, first place pays around 500 dollar. Its easy to be itm in these for me because the structure fits my style, and its done in 2 hours.

So, what i want to say, i for example found a tournament type where i cash several times, i dont rly stress myself to play always others.

And i also think that rush tournaments are also good for build roll.
    • randomdonk
      randomdonk
      Bronze
      playing good