SnG Motivation - Between Levels

• Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      Hey All,

I've been in a weird spot the past couple of months.

I'm a hobby player and for the past 2 years have been playing 9-man SnG's. I was steadily beating the $2 games and built my bankroll up pretty good. So exactly 1 year ago yesterday, I started playing the $5 games and have discovered that I am a consistent break-even to losing player at that level. So about 2 months ago I moved back down to the $2 games and am again beating them consistently.

Here's where it gets weird... I can't seem to make the adjustment to the $5 games, but find the $2 games too easy/dull/routine. I've basically given up playing because of this...

I'm not sure what to do... I've been thinking about switching games or maybe trying out a different variant all together but I feel so defeated by SnG's that trying to learn a new game seems daunting...

Anyone else go through something similar? Any advice?
  • 4 replies
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      I have a lot of fun just trying to improve my game... Just review your hands.. watch videos and see if you can't increase your ROI on the $2's before taking a shot at the $5's again..

You could also try different variants... 6 player sng's , 18 player, 45 player... or whatever... although that will most likely slow down your progress of hopefully reaching the $5's soon :) but sounds like you mainly play for fun so yea maybe you should take a shot at different variants that don't differ to much from the 9 man's :)

Good luck
    • Jax87xAK47x
      Jax87xAK47x
      Bronze
      maybe different speeds (turbo/regular) confuses you? ... however I didn't have any problems between 2's and 6's (both turbo), but I have a feeling that I wouldn't do any good on regular speed SNGs. Again maybe you had just bad luck it happens. Try find some leaks at your game and than improve it.

Hope this helps... :D
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Beating any level is an accomplishment, and it sounds like you have established that you are a winner at the $2 level, which means you are playing so much better than the table average that you make back the rake and a significant profit. A winning penny-ante player is closer to going pro than a losing high stakes player (although going pro is not the goal for most players). Many players refuse to acknowledge if they are not beating a game, but you have recognized that you are having problems at the $5 level. So, you should feel proud of your accomplishments, not discouraged.

If you fully understand the $2 games, you should be able to use that understanding to beat the $5 level. So, while you are playing $2 SNGs, you can be preparing yourself for the next level.

You will encounter more aggression as you move up, and some better players. You should pay more attention to dealing with aggressive players and regulars. You can't simply stay out of their way since there are going to be more of them.

Switching games can help you to break out of a rut. Sometimes you will acquire new skills. Sometimes you may learn that what you were doing should only work in a particular context, and you might have been trying to apply it out of context.
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      Thanks guys - all good comments.

Hlynkinn - Like you, I also get a lot of enjoyment out of improving my game and learning different approaches and concepts. I just feel like I'm at the point where I've hit a learning-wall, I'm 80% there but no matter how many more hands I review, videos I watch or articles I re-read, it just seems beyond my ability to improve... it's quite a sick feeling because I'm not a dumb guy...

Jax87xAK47x - I always play regular games, no turbos... at $2 level I 6-table, and at $5 level I 4-table... maybe I should play a mix???

pzhon - Thanks for the kind words. I would never say that I fully understand a level though, I'm just saying that I understand enough to play the $2 games profitably. Actually, I owe a lot of my understanding to some of your ground-breaking videos, so thank you.

I think I'm going to try to play a bit more this weekend than I have been the past few months and reflect on my game... I'll let you guys know how it goes.