Downswing

• Watto77
      Watto77
      Bronze
      I am just wanting to know if in a downswing you should take an extended break from poker or still play regularly and nut it out.

I built my BR up from $50 to $230 moving from NL$10 to NL$25. Poker Tracker had me +$60 for NL$25 and I am now - $15 (300bb). I am not playing any differently but my big hands are getting sucked out on, running into bigger hands, folded to with ridiculous regularity. Or I rebuy up to 25 bb more than once yet only leave with 25bb.
      I am wanting to fold or JJ to reraises because everytime (and I mean like the past 15 times) not only does and A hit but A and K or A and Q. Its sick
      This is an example of the stuff that has been going on a hell of a lot.

Trelogavros = $47.05
      Bigloaderman = $15
      Hero = $4.65

Poker Stars
      No Limit Holdem Ring game
      Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
      9 players
      Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is Button with A A
      4 folds, MP3 raises to $0.75, CO calls, Hero raises all-in $4.65, 2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Flop: K 2 8 ($14.3, 2 players + 1 all-in - Main pot: $14.3)
      MP3 bets $1.5, CO raises all-in $10.35, MP3 calls.

Turn: Q ($35, 1 player + 2 all-in - Main pot: $14.3, Sidepot 1: $20.7)

River: J ($35, 1 player + 2 all-in - Main pot: $14.3, Sidepot 1: $20.7)

Results:
      Final pot: $35

Trelogavros shows KQ for a pair of Queens
      Bigloader wins with 3 of a kind Queens hitting the case Queens.

I cannot believe this shit

Help?
  • 8 replies
    • Utahmar
      Utahmar
      Bronze
      Play on, this happens to most of us on daily basis.
    • Nunki
      Nunki
      Bronze
      Nice hand. You got your stack in the middle in a 3 way pot when you were about an 80% favourite. EV approx. $6.5. As long as you are consistently getting your money in good then you will ALWAYS prosper if you play enough hands.

Also be glad that this hand didn't happen when you were some hours into an MTT.
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      Cheer up dude. It's called a downswing, and it won't be the last one you experience if you keep playing poker. They come, they go.

As pointed out, you won money with this play, even though you lost the pot. Just don't lose the plot, so to speak. Take a break if it feels right, slow down your play a bit, even drop back a level if you think you are losing too much of your bankroll. A downswing means that you hit a lot of the less likely hands all in the same period, so if this is happening, you can ride it out at a lower level maybe.
    • Watto77
      Watto77
      Bronze
      Thanks guys
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      Just don't forget : downswings are good !
      It means that the worst players around also have upswings, and don't give up on poker that easily and fritter more money away ... to us.
    • Utahmar
      Utahmar
      Bronze
      And you can see, the guy, that sucked out on you 2 times in consecutive hands when you had TPTK or preflop AA vs 64s. Than he's giving your money to other sharks with not in downswing. So he's just redistributing :D
    • Watto77
      Watto77
      Bronze
      Never thought of it like that.

Just needed some positive reinforcement

Cheers
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Watto7!

Just accept suckouts as part of the game and you will laugh about them in the future. Don't forget: You WANT these calls because in the long run you will make money from them.

Happy New Year!
      Puschkin81