[NL2-NL10] NL10 6max Rush, Set of Q vs likely flush

• Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      Villain looks really solid: 20/18/3.1 during 558 hands.

Full Tilt Poker $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 1213840
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

Hero (CO): $13.22
      BTN: $10.00
      SB: $10.49
      BB: $24.54
      UTG: $10.40
      MP: $10.77

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is CO with Q:heart: Q:club:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, BTN calls $0.30, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.75) Q:spade: 5:diamond: 2:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.50, BTN calls $0.50

Turn: ($1.75) T:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.75, BTN raises to $3.50, Hero calls $1.75

River: ($8.75) K:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $5.70 all in, Hero calls $5.70

Played it bad completely, guilty for that. Shove on the turn or fold?
  • 5 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Bliausmas,

As you played this way Bet/Fold on turn is kinda close, sometimes even like Check/Call for the reason that we will never know where we stand and as well might might be drawing for the flush. Since what else would raise us there? Only sets and not even sure that he is capable of doing that so often, that's also why I like going for pot control and Check/Call it and get it in on river if we hit. Otherwise the river is crying fold I guess, only few combos which we beat is like 55 and 22. And of course his line rather seems like he was drawing on flop. Often times they raise it right on flop with their sets.

Best regards.
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      The reason I bet the turn was that I was 100% sure that I'm gonna get a bet from him if I check, and for some reason I didn't want that. But yes, check/call is way way better here, now I clearly see that.
      And the interesting thing about this hand is that this solid player had.. complete air - :spade: 9 :spade: 7... I know I'm probably getting paranoid about getting exploited :D But these are exactly those type of situations that leaves me confused - from time to time I face play like that from really solid looking, good aggro regulars, and I always think - what are they even doing here? Do I look like a superweak TAG that folds everything except the nuts? I want to believe I'm not. And lets look at this situation again - I was preflop aggressor, double barreled flop and turn - well this should look really strong as I might have anything - top pair, two pair, set, even the flush that he is trying to represent. But no - the villain just thought "this idiot is folding anything except the nut flush here". Well that's definitely strange.... :f_eek:
      Anyway, sorry for this tl;dr post, as answering to those "philosophic questions" isn't probably included in your job description :D but just wanted to share some thoughts...
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Do I look like a superweak TAG that folds everything except the nuts?

Maybe, that's also a factor which you should mention sometimes how you playing. It could easily be that you just seem to others that you mostly play with nuts.

And of course with just those stats there is not much to do. While we have only AF what's postflop stats, and according to that we can't say what to do and either make sure that he is capable of bluffing on turn or not. Therefore next time as well include WTS/W$SD, AF on turn for example, and Raise CBets.

Of course if he is some kind of aggressive opponent and seems that he is even able to bluff there on river, then your line is fine as well, I might even just get it in on turn.
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      OK, I'll keep that in mind. Well to be honest these days I've been playing pretty much the same (including the same ranges) over different opponents - that's of course -EV. But I guess I needed to put some discipline into my play, and next time I'm definitely gonna play according to my opponents. Maybe it's even good that I struggle with NL10 now - when I'll be able to crush it, it should be way easier on NL25.
      And the WTS/W$SD stats of this opponent are 23/64, which is pretty impressive and it's probably unlikely from him to see a bluff like this. And raise flop cbet is 25, with raise turn cbet being 100 just because of this one hand.

Anyways, thank you for you time, your answers always helps a lot! :)
    • dallievas
      dallievas
      Bronze
      Bet/Fold on turn is kinda close

small thing I noted.You cant b/f on turn with given pot odds,because you're getting 4:1 and odds set to fh is 3.8:1,so must call turn and fold river.
      :f_confused: