Example question

• SaynotoKlaus
      SaynotoKlaus
      Bronze
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1566/3/

Example 19 in this article says that it is not wise to call his bet on the turn , and instead you should just go all in .
      But i think the best idea here is to just call the bet . I have a full house , chances that he will improve his hand with the river card and beat mine are very low.
      If he has a straight or flush draw , i will probably scare him by going all in and he will fold.
      By calling i give him a chance to complete his monster hand , and then he will bet all his stack for sure.
      I know that the article was written by pros but , i just don't think that playing hands like that one aggressively is profitable.
  • 4 replies
    • SaynotoKlaus
      SaynotoKlaus
      Bronze
      Same thing in example 21. From my experience , when you bet really aggressive people tend to fold , rather than call my huge bet.
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      Yeah, I would also smooth call in the 21 example and reevaluate on the river if the board pairs. Because when you take this straightforward line any smart opponent will fold anything but the set here. And even set of Deuces or Sevens might fly into the muck if opponent is really cautious.

But in the 19 example I like shoving more as our hand is really vulnerable. Against TT or JT we're dead, not to mention JJ. And against any JX we are in serious danger. And personally I don't see any hands that our opponent would value bet here strong but fold to a shove.
      Another thing is that if our opponent has a draw here, he will only pay us on the river if he hits. And if we shove, he will likely call with any draw.
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      If he does have TT or JT or w/e it doesn't really matter since we're not folding this no matter what. And imo calling or jaming there is both corret and completly opponent dependat.

Against a somewhat agressive opponent its pretty dumb to raise since his folding everything but a J which your stacking on the river anyway. And if his somewhat competent he won't call there with a strait draw on a paired board where he has at best 20% equity. And if he has a J he only has like 15% equity with his 7 outs to suck out on you, and 3 of which are pretty obvious and you can fold so basically 4 outs that he can hit that will stack you.

But if his a fish then the jam is fine since his probably going to stack off with KQ which he folds if he doesn't hit. And his also more likely to have a J since fishes play so face up that he now has trips and has to bet.

The nutflush is also pretty easy call. Your only losing value against lower flushes incase the board pairs on the river, and by raising your losing value against AX type of hands that are a big part of his range that fold to a shove but probably call your river bet. And you can still make a good decision on the river in the case of paired board.
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MatejM47
      If he does have TT or JT or w/e it doesn't really matter since we're not folding this no matter what. And imo calling or jaming there is both corret and completly opponent dependat.

Against a somewhat agressive opponent its pretty dumb to raise since his folding everything but a J which your stacking on the river anyway. And if his somewhat competent he won't call there with a strait draw on a paired board where he has at best 20% equity. And if he has a J he only has like 15% equity with his 7 outs to suck out on you, and 3 of which are pretty obvious and you can fold so basically 4 outs that he can hit that will stack you.
      I wouldn't actually expect from villain to donk out pretty big and fold to a raise with str8/flush draw when not only he misses but the board also pairs. Ofc this would be possible depending on an opponent but imho that would be extremely lame play by him (as would be calling a shove ofc :f_biggrin: ). I mean what could he expect for us to have when we donk out on the flop into 3 opponents?? Really bad spot for him to try to bluff us out imho.

EDIT: But yeah, calling actually makes sense here. If the river comes J or T - we might save ourselves some money, if other card - jam it. It's probably even better option IF its unlikely for a villain to have a draw here.