[NL2-NL10] NL 25 AKs vs 3-bet

• Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)       
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $29.09
      Hero:
      $23.83

0.10/0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A:club: , K:club:
      Hero raises to $1.00, 6 folds, SB raises to $3.00, BB folds, Hero calls $2.00.

Flop: ($6.25) 7:diamond: , K:diamond: , Q:club: (2 players)
      SB bets $5, Hero calls $5.00.

Turn: ($16.25) 7:club: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $15.83 (All-In), SB calls $15.83.

River: ($47.91) 7:heart:

Final Pot: $47.91

Playing oop I would bet/fold my AK. Here SB made 3-bet, so I have position. Problem playing AK, is that SB 3-bet range is probably QQ+, AK. Maybe some players also 3-bet with JJ, but solid players usually call when there has been raise from UTG.
      On the flop I only tie with AK. Turn brings me flush draw, but also pairs the board. Fold equity is 0 and I would call his river push anyway, so I might push myself. I think that i would play AK bet/fold from UTG, even if 3-bet comes from blinds. Tend to loose too much these tptk situations.
  • 8 replies
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      I think it's not awful, but still quite bad.
      You have TPTK on a reraised pot preflop, which isn't bad, but there's more to it.

There were 3 lines you could follow here :
      - Raise instead of call the flop, but that's pot committing anyway.
      - The play you made
      - Checkbehind on the turn and hope he doesn't push on the river.

You might have gone for the third option if you think you're up against a [QQ+, AK] range. A push in this situation is a little weird as you could only draw out against AA and AK and you state that you believe you have 0 % fold equity. You got 9 outs to improve a hand to a flush, that now beats half of his range instead of splitting with one... that's not too great, is it.
      But he gave you a free card, which comes in handy ...
      Just ask yourself this : why would you risk 2/3 of your stack more if you think you're behind and you know you won't get a better hand to fold ?

If a K hits, you can assume to have the nuts (a 7 or KK is unlikely)
      If a flush card hits, you can call a small bet, but nothing more (see below)
      If nothing hits, including this 7 which didn't really improve your hand against the range you gave him, you could still hope he checks to induce a bluff or makes a bet smaller than an all in that you could possibly call if you think you got the odds (this is up to you). So, use a free card when you get the chance and think you're behind but can improve.

Also, pay more attention to his betting patterns ...
      Before the flop you give him a [QQ+, AK] range ... it's already strange that you continue like you have, thinking you're up against that range. Secondly, he bets big on the flop as if he's got something to protect, yet he doesn't bet anymore on the turn as if he's going into slowplay mode. So basically, you're donking away money with TPTK with nut flush draw to a made full house.

Maybe some players will disagree with me on this one, but I just can't help but think you donked off a stack to a rather obvious QQ hand and you knew it while you were doing it.
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      By the way : Don't give too much away about the hand outcome, it might skew analyses made by other members ...
      We know you lost now ...

It wouldn't change my analysis this time though, being up against a draw or AQ was unlikely anyway.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Thanks to nice analyze. I know i played it wrong, that´s why I posted it:) This was the biggest mistake while playing NL 25. Like to avoid these kind of situations on fullring tables just folding pre-flop:)
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kaitz20
      Like to avoid these kind of situations on fullring tables just folding pre-flop:)
      I have to agree. If I know I'm against a tight player who reraised my EP raise, I'd rather fold my AK than get myself into a complex situation.

As for the rest of the hand, I think Sonic said it all. :)

Originally posted by SonicXT
      If a K hits, you can assume to have the nuts (a 7 or KK is unlikely)
      Just a small correction here. If a K falls on the river, a 7 won't beat him, and it's impossible for his opponent to be holding KK... given that there are two on the board, and one in hero's hands. :D
      So the only hand that would beat him is 77 (unlikely).
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      Yea, I thought about this just 20 minutes ago ... "ey, wait a minute" :D
      Didn't make a difference though, luckily :)

Pff... I don't wanna make hand evaluations this long again though :D
    • Timor83
      Timor83
      Bronze
      You're already committing yourself when you call the bet on the flop, because you'll have about 16$ left in a 16$ pot. So it's either fold or push on the flop. If you're absolutely certain about is range (QQ+,AK), it's a fold, because you're only tieing with AK and losing to all the rest. But on the lower limit's, I'd probably call.
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      If you fold on that flop, you might just as well fold preflop.
      On NL25, the 3-betting range is pretty tight btw ... probably a whole lot tighter than most higher limits. People really don't like to put money in without seeing at least some community cards.
    • Thorsten77
      Thorsten77
      Black
      I think the hand is ugly, as SB raises a UTG raiser. IF he's a reasonable tight player, I'd fold as he knows my range and also knows that he's OOP, but the 3-bets... As played, you have to go broke with TPTK in a RR flop. However, I'd just call the flop, check the turn and call a river bet - if he has a hand like JJ/AQ, you just scare him and maybe (not too likely, but it happens) you get value from weaker hands.