variance 6max vs 9max

• Leito99
      Leito99
      Bronze
      i know 6max has higher variance than 9max but how much higher is it?
      i want to know to see what brm i should use for 9max vs 6max in superturbos..

if i had a guess....about 1.5 times higher?
  • 2 replies
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      There is almost no difference between the mathematical variances. A 70-30 structure has a slightly higher mathematical variance than 50-30-20, while a 65-35 structure has a slightly lower mathematical variance.

However, most poker players mean the downswings you will see, not the mathematical variance. Downswings depend on both the mathematical variance and you win rate. If your win rate is cut in half, you will have downswings which are twice as large, and break-even stretches which last 4 times as long. Unfortunately, I can't say how your win rate changes if you play 6-max or 9-max SNGs. That depends on your skills.
    • Leito99
      Leito99
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pzhon
      There is almost no difference between the mathematical variances. A 70-30 structure has a slightly higher mathematical variance than 50-30-20, while a 65-35 structure has a slightly lower mathematical variance.

However, most poker players mean the downswings you will see, not the mathematical variance. Downswings depend on both the mathematical variance and you win rate. If your win rate is cut in half, you will have downswings which are twice as large, and break-even stretches which last 4 times as long. Unfortunately, I can't say how your win rate changes if you play 6-max or 9-max SNGs. That depends on your skills.
      alright
      nice answer
      thank you :)