Swings in mss?

• Heffron89
      Damn Im down almost 10 buy ins in 1400 hands I just started on stars... I've reviewed all hands with a friend and there is not alot of bad plays/tilt here... I dont think a 40bi BR is enough for this

(sorry had to write off some :P )
  • 2 replies
    • OONOShortstack
      when I started to play I had very bad bankroll management I dident know it at a time because everyone was talking about this "rule" of 10-20 buy ins.

I strongly believe that if you do want to be successful in this game you should at at least have 100 buy ins.

Just think about it losing 10% of you bankroll that is a lot that would be just 4 buy ins.

the first time I heard someone talk about the 100 buy in rule I was thinking that is crazy thats way to nitty.

But if you think about it going broke is the worst thing you can do.

So what is exactly happening when you go broke? your growth has ended
      all the money is gone.

So you have to start over again why dont people think about this time when they thinking they are going to get rich fast.

What would have happend if I continued with the 10-20 buy in rule and never listened to the guys talking about 100 buy in rule I would have probably gone broke and maybe never becomed the professional player that I am today. :P

looking at this http://www.moneychimp.com/calculator/compound_interest_calculator.htm

can help you understand what I mean better if you dont already understand.
    • kazediel
      I think that bankroll management is not as easy as they say. It depends on lots of factors:

On the one hand, it should depend on the limit you're gonna play in, playing limits like NL600 with less than 150 buy-ins is complete suicide, and 150 BI is already an aggresive management. However, waiting to have 60 buy-ins before moving from NL10 to NL25 would be simply stupid.

Because it depends on what game you're gonna need to play, your expected bb/100 and if you have no problem in moving down on limits if it is needed

On the other hand, there are external factors also: If you're gonna live playing poker, your bankroll has to be waaaaaaay higher, 200k downswings exist, and if you're gonna live from this, if you don't have plenty of bankroll to cover up, you're not eating. Also, moving down on a limit may be a tragedy (Specially if you're RBpro)

Summing it up:

The more LAG you are, the more tight you need to be with your bankroll

The less your expected edge, the more the buy-ins you'll need

Be ready to descend limits if needed unless you have lots of buy-ins

Mind other factors: "Do I need the money?" "If I busted, do I mind starting over from NL5?"