Group therapy section: How to overcome surges of animal-like rage (not the usual tilt) during play

• fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      It's one thing to feel frustrated, being on tilt etc, but what to do when you get so mad that you seriously want to shout, break something, bite somebody etc? It usually lasts only for few seconds, but it's very intensive. In fact so intensive that thinking about EV, variance, Poker Mindset and other fun concepts doesn't really help at all.

I usually try to loosen my arms, let them hang, maybe close my eyes and think of nothing. Maybe try to enjoy the pain. However sometimes I fail. I tend to slam the table, often hurting my arm. I also feel an irresistible urge to crunch my computer and all the little opponents in it to a small chunk of plastic. Fortunately my computer is still intact, but I'm not sure for how long.

Afterwards I feel ashamed for this animal-like rage.

What do you do to overcome it? Share!
  • 11 replies
    • beastmode
      beastmode
      Bronze
      go outside smoke/walk then come back
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      1. find a mirror
      2. do the most retarded dance you can come up with
      3. go back to step 1
    • Zhusy
      Zhusy
      Bronze
      Find something very hard in your place, like the wall? And hit with your head on it 3 times, repeat if necessary.
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze

For a small tilt, I guess a stress ball could do it.

For bigger tilt, take break, watch movies, take a walk, fap, etc.

Make sure to not build the tilt feeling stop while you can.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      relentless masturbation
    • dallievas
      dallievas
      Bronze
      Hi,
      hit with your head on it 3 times, repeat if necessary

relentless masturbation

not so bad piece of advice.
      But OK,take it more seriously,because psychical skills have the same importance in poker as so called technical.
      What do your "surges of animal-like rage" mean ?
      Suppose you have house and it has sewage tank with blocked sewage pipe and your sewage is accumulating until one day tank is full and you have nice leakage in your house.How you repair it? Unblock sewage pipe first and release all shit then keep it always free.Same thing happens with human being.All negative (negative emotions,frustration,anger,bad minds etc) is accumulating into you and one day you have leakage,smaller or bigger it doesn't matter.You have to release it (negative things).The idea is simple.Release you anger during special exercises.Masturbation and hitting head against wall can be extreme examples.I recommend some other:1) go somewhere(forest,your room) scream, swear, berate,punch,kick,beat - release anger 2)boxing,kicking is OK,do it on boxing bag then on laptop.3)other sport activities but better like soccer,basketball,boxing,tennis and etc. 4)be sport fan where you can scream,berate and etc.5)rock music concert,singing and dancing (not nicely) is OK too).6) talk with someone about how you feel,whine.With someone you can trust and who will not criticizes you or with professional.
      If you remember show 2m2 ,they had room outside where they were smashing watermelons with baseball bat.The same idea.
      You can try all these things,but do some of them constantly,do not let overfill "your tank".Do it shortly before session.
      If you still have that problem during session (maybe you very emotional person) then stop first,let your anger out-scream,berate even punch some special thing (pillow),then calm down ,do minute of deep breathing, ask yourself how you fell, can you continue and then decide if you can carry on your A game or you need a break.Self awareness is very important.
      Hope it helps a bit bit.
      :f_confused:
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      I think pokerstrategy will release some strategy articles on masturbating soon... (I've heard ihufa is producing some videos on that subject as well)
      seems to be the only thing you guys recommend and discuss in these forums...
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      Debate creationists. Preferably on YouTube, that's where the dumbest ones can be found. This will make any poker-related frustration you might have seem ridiculous.

If you just need to calm yourself quickly, sit or lie down and close your eyes. Slowly breathe in through your nose, hold it for a few seconds and gently breathe out. The slower you breathe the faster you calm down. Works like a charm for me.

If you feel like you've tried everything and nothing seems to help, there's always weed.
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hlynkinn
      I think pokerstrategy will release some strategy articles on masturbating soon... (I've heard ihufa is producing some videos on that subject as well)
      seems to be the only thing you guys recommend and discuss in these forums...
      dude wtf , I don't know if it's the funniest or the creepiest thing I've read but it had to be quoted
    • dallievas
      dallievas
      Bronze
      If you just need to calm yourself quickly, sit or lie down and close your eyes. Slowly breathe in through your nose, hold it for a few seconds and gently breathe out. The slower you breathe the faster you calm down. Works like a charm for me.

This is simple solution for simple anger,but this does not affect main reason of "surges of animal-like rage".Small problem,I'm bit angry,I'll calm down soon and after another intense situation or another you get over tilt threshold and have big problem.Try to understand,accept that you have problem and cut the root of it,semi measures are temporally imho.
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      Originally posted by dallievas

This is simple solution for simple anger,but this does not affect main reason of "surges of animal-like rage".Small problem,I'm bit angry,I'll calm down soon and after another intense situation or another you get over tilt threshold and have big problem.Try to understand,accept that you have problem and cut the root of it,semi measures are temporally imho.
      Well, it depends on your approach towards flipping the f$#@ out. If you assume you're a stressful person with a short fuse, you'll already subconsciously expect yourself to go into rage mode whenever you get frustrated. This assumption is a necessary premise to finding a "root" solution for your anger problem, but I reject it. I just presume I might get mad at some uncertain time in the future for some reason, and if I do it's best to just bring myself back to the normal and rational me. The easiest way to do this (again, for me) is the breathing thing.

What you suggested in an earlier post, pertaining to aggression outlets, well... I couldn't disagree more. The whole "just let it all out" thing already implies that you're filled with anger like it's a substance with volume or mass. Anger is just another emotion that you can choose to ignore if you gather enough willpower. Releasing your rage and going apes#!% on a boxing bag every time you need to vent may temporarily make you feel better, but it only reinforces the habit of getting aggressive when frustrated, and that's exactly what we're trying to avoid. It's like picking up smoking to relieve stress: nicotine doesn't solve anything, it just makes you feel less lousy until you need your next fix.

Now, if the aforementioned surges of animalistic rage are so intense they're uncontrollable, I would sincerely recommend visiting a psychiatrist as the problem may be pathological.