[NL2-NL10] Interesting hands from 12/26 SSS Adv. Coaching

• xarry2
      xarry2
      Bronze
      Hand 1:

Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)      
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $90
      CO:
      $456.50
      BB:
      $134.10

2/4 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J:heart: , J:diamond:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $16.00, 2 folds, CO calls $16.00, 2 folds, BB calls $12.00.

Flop: ($50.00) Q:diamond: , 3:diamond: , 9:heart: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $35, CO raises to $440.50 (All-In), BB folds, Hero raises to $74.00 (All-In).

Turn: ($564.50) T:club:
      River: ($564.50) A:spade:

Final Pot: $564.50

I'm interested in your opinion about this hand.
      How would you play it?

I will post my own analysis soon.

Hand 2:

Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)         
      keine.

1/2 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T:club: , K:heart: . CO posts a blind of $2.00.
      4 folds, Hero raises to $10.00, 4 folds.

Final Pot: $15.00

I always try to observe the tables - even if I'm 12 tabeling or more.
      You should always take an eye on posters e.g.
      Thats why I made a loose steal from MP3 here. The poster adds additional dead money into the pot. So my steal needs less success to be profitable.
      Of course one should take an eye on th BU and the Blinds. If they are quite loose or thinking players I get tighter of course.
      If I'm sitting on the Button and the CO or MP poster checks first in to me I also like to make many steals. You can do this with a very loose range since if someone calls you you will always have postion postflop.
      Of course I also consider my opponents (poster and blinds) and adapt my range accordingly.
  • 6 replies
    • Utahmar
      Utahmar
      Bronze
      First hand i think CO loose enough to put on any specific hand preflop. After the flop with af of 0.5 he might have a Qx, like QT, QJ, QK, or any pocket pair upto TT, even A9 is possible.
      I might fold it, but its a 50 - 50 for me. Sometime i catch hands like 88 to do this, other times they have Qx up to AQ.
      If you are behind you are drawing to like 4 outs, jacks, BD flush+str8. Thinking on it, im leaning to A9.
      While writing im moving to the push side. You could be ahead more times than not.

I dont think anything i could add to second hand. I missing this move from my arsenal, although im playing only NL25, action is quite tight ( Full Tilt ), hard to see people with 23 or 36 VPIP.
      Usually table average is 13-22 VPIP. So might be useful to try this.
    • frzl
      frzl
      Bronze
      mh i think i would directly push the flop in hand nr. 1. our stack is small enough and our fold equity increases when we push with our whole stack.
      i don´t see much sence in betting small and calling a big reraise.
      but i´m looking forward to your explanation :)
    • Utahmar
      Utahmar
      Bronze
      Good point, i forgot that option. Push first in is the best.
    • xarry2
      xarry2
      Bronze
      thanks for the suggestions.
      well, playing c/f is definitely too weak.
      so we basically got b/f, b/c, direct push and a delayed cbet.

imo we have to make a bet. too many draws out and only one overcard.
      i chose b/c. afterwards, i think, that I don't have the odds to call the reraise. i need around 20% euqity. since my player seems to be not very aggressive (i.e. playing draws so aggressive) I haven't got 20% equity.
      very close indeed.

so this speaks for b/f.

the direct push option is also interesting but very close, too. if I give myself 25 equity, when beeing called (possible since they can call draws oder even worse pairs) I need around 35% overall FE. 60% each opponent then.
      I think this is a bit too much. and the 25% equity are optimistic. I could often have only 20 against a tighter calling range.

the delayed cbet is not suitable here, since there are many draws possible.
      on a rainbow flop I would rahter try the delayed cbet (but I still don't like it very much)

so let's try to make a conclusion:

with this stack I personally prefer the b/f line.
      with a smaller stack like around 65 and less I would definitely make a direct push.
      another possibility is that we adapt our line to our opponents.
      If we have loose or aggressive opponents, I would rather choose the direct push, even with the 74$ stack.
      against passive and tight opponents I prefer the b/f line.

I hope the explanation is clear somehow.
      But you still can make further suggestions.
    • frzl
      frzl
      Bronze
      mh nice thoughts... i didn´t see that you had some stats in hand nr. 1
      how would you play against an unknown player ?
      i thought a bit about the hand and now i´m pretty sure that i would push it at my limits against an unknown opponent because i will often get raised by a 9, flush or straightdraw... dunno how most people play these kind of hands at nl400 though ^^
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      i would push it at my limits against an unknown opponent because i will often get raised by a 9, flush or straightdraw...

this means that you are mainly up against loose-agressive opponents, in this case, push is an obvious choice, of course... as it actually was suggested by xarry

On NL 200-400 it is an easy push for me against unknown, which might be not an optimal play, but I have a hard time folding in these spots. bet/call against uknown seems weak, so I prefer direct push.

I guess you prefer to have very few/no unknown players at your table, when you are playing at some limit as a regular. so later you can make an optimal decision in this spot, but while grinding, standard push is fine, imo.