Hero ($25)
      CO ($46.61)
      BTN ($26.27)

Dealt to Hero J:club: Q:club:

fold, BTN raises to $0.75, fold, Hero calls $0.50

FLOP ($1.60) 8:heart: 2:club: 4:club:

Hero bets $1.25, BTN raises to $3.25, Hero calls $2

TURN ($8.10) 8:heart: 2:club: 4:club: T:diamond:

Hero checks, BTN bets $4.50, Hero raises to $21 (AI)

Villain is 23/19/1.8 (119 hands)
      plays only 1 table...

It's 3way preflop so I see my hands as a small monster preflop. I call and go from the flop.

Nice flop for me. I play my draw aggressively, he raises small and I think I have the implieds to call.

The T is very nice card for me. It also gives me a gutshot, this is where I decide I'm gonna check/raise all in. In my mind, he holds many marginal hands (which he bets for free showdown) with which he cannot call an all in.

My range here is polarized, I also do this with monsters. Lead/call the raise and check/shove the Turn.

In the scenario in which villain finds a hand to call I can always suck out with my monster draw.

-----------------------

In another line of thought, what's my range for lead/call the flop?

Overpairs I probably 3bet to the small raise. 89s could be in my range on the flop. Also I can imagine myself playing sets this way, but to such a small raise maybe I would me more inclined to 3bet so draws wouldn't take a free card and if villain has an overpair to get it in on the flop without the risk of action being killed by a scarecard on the Turn.
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Gabinr1,

Preflop: What about 3betting preflop against him? What's his fold to 3bet? How often does he give up postflop? And of course what's his steal %?

As played
      Flop: Somewhat the donk here is fine for the reason that he anyways has a lot of stealing range in his hand. And playing draws sometimes more aggressively should be fine. And when he decides to raise us then our implied odds should be pretty good, the raise ain't that big either.
      Turn: Although I don't really like the Check/Shove here unless I have a good reason to do that. I am not that often expecting him to fold his overpairs here or maybe even stronger hand while being rather vs unknown since only 119 hands. What's his WTS/W$SD? I might even just take the implied odds, we need like $5,40 on river to make it profitable and even if we donk there and he seems rather bad player I expect him to pay us at least this amount with his overpair which he would go broke right on turn.

Although the Check/Shove is reasonable while you know the opponent and know that he is capable of folding there his overpairs, I still don't like to do it vs unknown. When he Calls there we will most of the time be behind, maybe even far behind.

And as well I wouldn't base on his bet sizing on turn since he as well made a pretty small raise on flop, it could just indicate to that he doesn't really know what are odds and is rather just a bad player which can't fold his overpair there.

Best regards.
    • Gabinr1
      Gabinr1
      Bronze
      Villain called and showed 7 8

I agree with everything you said veriz. As played, check/calling the turn seems a way better option. Also thinking about my range, I realized that as the hand played out I don't have many strong hands in my range on the turn and if my opponent is somehow decent he might see it.

His WTS was around 39. But does the WTS matter on a such small samplesize?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      His WTS was around 39. But does the WTS matter on a such small samplesize?

Definitely it does matter for example if I am not really sure either he is a bad player or not but when he has like big WTS and as well W$SD very small then it proofs even more to me that he is a bad player.

From such opponents I usually take a note that they are raising with TP some kind of weak and as well betting the turn 1/2 pot, which next time I will know that it could indicate to a weak hand. And of course that we can't make him lay down his TP type of hands.