• 8 replies
    • Tens69
      Tens69
      Bronze
      if i know that ill be awesome :D
    • belthazorrrr
      belthazorrrr
      Bronze
      you can use holdem manager to find any leaks but i dont know what leaks we are searching for
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      So far, Hold'em Manager doesn't tell you how much ICM equity you gain or lose in most situations. It only tells you how many chips you gain or lose, which is not nearly as helpful for finding leaks.

One principle is that you should be gaining both chips and equity in all phases of the game. So, you can filter by blind levels or the number of players, and make sure that you are gaining chips whenever your sample is large enough. Another is that when you voluntarily accept a gamble, you should be gaining chips. For example, you can look at your blind defenses in early levels, and compare the chips you lose from defending with nonpremium hands against the cost of posting the blind.

In early levels, there is not a huge difference between gaining chips and gaining ICM equity. According to the ICM, you are not risk-averse in small pots, and even if you get all-in, your risk aversion is much lower than in typical situations close to the bubble. So, for early levels, you should try to see whether you are gaining a good amount of chips from each position. If you are not making a significant profit from the CO and BTN, then you either have some leaks or you are missing some profitable opportunities.
    • evertonroar
      evertonroar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pzhon
      So far, Hold'em Manager doesn't tell you how much ICM equity you gain or lose in most situations. It only tells you how many chips you gain or lose, which is not nearly as helpful for finding leaks.

One principle is that you should be gaining both chips and equity in all phases of the game. So, you can filter by blind levels or the number of players, and make sure that you are gaining chips whenever your sample is large enough. Another is that when you voluntarily accept a gamble, you should be gaining chips. For example, you can look at your blind defenses in early levels, and compare the chips you lose from defending with nonpremium hands against the cost of posting the blind.

In early levels, there is not a huge difference between gaining chips and gaining ICM equity. According to the ICM, you are not risk-averse in small pots, and even if you get all-in, your risk aversion is much lower than in typical situations close to the bubble. So, for early levels, you should try to see whether you are gaining a good amount of chips from each position. If you are not making a significant profit from the CO and BTN, then you either have some leaks or you are missing some profitable opportunities.
      Hi. when you say "gaining a good amount of chips from each position" do you include the SB and BB in this? i just ran my stats for the month of March and am making a good return from every position except the blinds. Getting really creemed in the BB (-43bb/100). I thought this might be standard (you know due to folding a lot of hand oop) but my VPIP is a bit higher in these position (much higher in SB). could i be playing to many hands in th blinds?

cheers
    • belthazorrrr
      belthazorrrr
      Bronze
      my stats for each pos:

1)sb=-4.5/100
      2)bb=-21.37/100
      3)early=5.54/100
      4)middle=21.15/100
      5)co=26.74/100
      6)bu=36.88/100
    • santostr
      santostr
      Bronze
      Losing from the blinds is standart. You are paying the blinds with a random hand.
      Other stats are nice. Better results from better positions.

Other filter to use is blind level. You should be gaining chips at all blind levels over a big sample (be carefull with super high blinds with small samples, no info there).
    • santostr
      santostr
      Bronze
      I just to add this:

In the beggining you should realy focus on push/fold phase. Train with ICM Trainer, get real hands and adjust opponents ranges on SnG or Holdem Resources, get used to Nash Ranges.

Stats can help you, but it's harder to get info and the gain is smaller IMO.
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Originally posted by evertonroar
      Hi. when you say "gaining a good amount of chips from each position" do you include the SB and BB in this? i just ran my stats for the month of March and am making a good return from every position except the blinds. Getting really creemed in the BB (-43bb/100). I thought this might be standard (you know due to folding a lot of hand oop) but my VPIP is a bit higher in these position (much higher in SB). could i be playing to many hands in th blinds?
      First, I should have said that you should win after posting the blinds. It is normal to lose money in the blinds (although not from the small blind heads-up), but you should be recovering a large fraction of the blinds you post, perhaps 60% or more. It depends on the situation.

It does sound like you might be playing too many hands from the blinds. Try drilling down to situations such as when someone raises on your big blind and you do not have a top 10% hand. You should not lose more than the blinds, but if you routinely defend with hands which are too weak, then you may be doing worse than giving up the blinds.

It could also be that you are not recognizing when players are attacking your blinds with a wide range. If your opponents are observant, and you defend too infrequently or poorly, then they will attack your blinds very often, which means that you will get fewer walks. Playing back at aggressive opponents can be both directly profitable and it can decrease their future aggression.

An unusually high VPIP from the small blind is not necessarily bad. It could come from overlimping, and if you play well postflop you can overlimp with more hands than others find comfortable. A high VPIP could also come from open-raising from the small blind, which can be quite profitable. In fact, many people routinely raise only a tight range from the small blind even when their opponents only defend against a small blind 3 bb raise 30% of the time. This 30% defense rate means that until the big blind catches on, you can profitably raise to 3 bb with ATC because you make an immediate profit.