Got my bonus, time to learn the game!

• Gazamataz
      Gazamataz
      Bronze
      Having busted my bankroll on PStars, due to weak play and poor BRM, I scoured the web for any poker bonuses and found this site. I passed the quiz and HAD to chose William Hill as I'd never played there before.

I've just received my $50 starting capital, what's unique is that I can only play micro-stacks, which for me atm is great - teach me a lesson for blowing almost $500 away! I did build it upto that level from $5 in around a week on PS, but I quickly lost it on DON (50-100). Silly BRM I admit...

So I'm starting my adventure on a new site, about to start playing a few games. I'll try to update my progress here.

Cheers
  • 2 replies
    • Gazamataz
      Gazamataz
      Bronze
      wow! Is that the time? Since my first post, I have only played 6 games - down to the fact that there is very little traffic on WH during the night. 6games down - 4 cashes (not bad) but at $1 stakes it will take awhile to 1.) make a decent profit and 2.) clear the rake requirements of $50.

So far-

ITM = 66.67%
      ROI = 52.78%
      Winnings = $3.80 (woo hoo!)

It is frustrating having to stick to these limits but it's very important to my game. I've been playing poker for a few years now, admittedly I've probably lost quite a bit of money but I don't see this as lost money. I've paid for an education in poker, money isn't really important, it's the thrill of the game i love but the money aspect keeps you concentrated. I've had a few good results in tourneys but the one I will always remember - my very, very first real money game of poker (a freeroll on PKR) i placed 3/655 and won just over a dollar. I was so happy.

I stuck to freerolls, meaning I got up at 4am and played through till the late afternoon, then work/study. I soon deposited and lost some money but I loved it, I was playing real poker, not just freeerolls with all the donks out there. We all know that you play differently when theres real money on the line.

I've read a few poker books and watched live poker on tv. I have a good game but my problem is I can't seem to quit when things are bad. Playing poker whilst tired/grumpy is seriously bad for my game and I have a tendency to rush the action and get beat, badly.

I've never used any form of BRM an example of this was my recent time at Pokerstars.I won $160 on a $5 tourney(biggest tourney cash I think) so I hit the double or nothing SNG's and in a few days my roll was up at $500ish. trouble is I decided to go for the $100 DONs (suicide). My roll went up then down, down, up, down down then I tilted on a cash game to threw the rest away. I felt almost ashamed that I had all that money but blew it cause I was a big shot.

So now I need to find the balance i.e bankroll management. so not only can I enjoy the game again but also afford too! So yes my first session in my strict BRM ended up being profitable, I know $3.80 isn't worth shouting about but it is pleasing to think that it would be very hard to go bust, so I can always get my poker fix!

Now, time for a little sleep and then hit the tables later, think I'll try to multi-table for once maybe 3-4 at a time, stick to y game and hope to report more profits!
    • Gazamataz
      Gazamataz
      Bronze
      Having read a few articles (which I think are great considering they are free!!) I've decided to go back to the start and iron out the many mistakes I make at the tables.

I started playing a few cash games at 0.02$NL and I lost quite a bit in terms of BB's. So this is why I went to the articles. I'll try post a graph soon.

Having changed my approach, especially regarding starting hands, there was a slight improvement but I've only played 950 hands, I understand I'll need to play many, many more before I can truly evaluate my game.

I hate having to fold hands like AQ, AJ etc, to a small raise only to see that I would've won the hand! I suppose many feel like that. But I always think that if I were to enter into the hand, I wouldn't hit! I know this is rubbish as the deck is set at the start of the hand but it makes me feel better. This kind of discipline can only strengthen my game.

I start my job again next week so poker will have to take a back seat as I will be away form the house all week, I'll still play at the weekends. Unfortunately, I'll probably lose my starting capital as I won't be able to reach the rake by the required time, which is a shame but once I'm working I'll be able to make a small deposit and stick to the BRM and work on crushing the lower limits. I'd love for one day to quit my job and use poker as an income but I've got a long, long way to go before I can do that!