A question about weakness...

• Helipacter
      Helipacter
      Bronze
      Hi all,

Here's my question: when you consider folding, how important do you consider your appearance at the table?

In the space of three orbits at a .5/.10 micro table yesterday, I was dealt JJ twice, both times I had position. Both of these hands follow a particularly tough day, where I'd not been going to SD often, and I had folded a few turns with missed hands. I finished the session about 15BB down.

With the first JJ hand the flop is KA6 rainbow; three limpers have called my Pre-flop raise. As PFA nobody raises until it comes to me, then one guy in EP reraises me, and another MP reraises him (I'm on the micros, so this type of lunacy is pretty standard). I decide to let this hand go here as it's clear to me that they've been slow playing A or Kx.

The second J :club: J :spade: is on a 4 :heart: Q :club: 5 :diamond: flop. I reraise pre-flop from MP. Both blinds limp, everyone else folds.

The turn is 7 :diamond: SB & BB check to me & I bet for protection, they both come along.

The river is 8 :diamond: and suddenly both blinds come into the hand with major aggro, SB bets, BB reraises ... what to do here??

If this hand were to stand alone it's a clear fold. But because I'm already seen as weak at the table, it's hard not to pull a "I've just got to see I'm beat" call and pay the guy off.

So my question for the pros here is, should table appearance play a big part in the decision here, or should I just fold it and not care about showing weakness?

Cheers

(PS - I've not put these hands in the Hand Eval, as it's more to do with appearance than playing individual hands, so I thought I'd put it here).
  • 5 replies
    • One12ver
      One12ver
      Bronze
      So my question for the pros here

Do you mean "Doyle Brunson" pro´s or people that play FL full time? :f_biggrin:
      As a FL player hopefully you don´t mind me answering here.

You should always leave your ego at the door when you come to play poker. You should never base your decisions at these limits on what people will think of you. Play good solid poker and make the best +ev choices. The only way to make yourself look good is to walk away having played a solid game.

Also if you say: " I'm on the micros, so this type of lunacy is pretty standard" then what makes you think they will be paying attention or care about your image?
    • cataah
      cataah
      Bronze
      Originally posted by One12ver

Also if you say: " I'm on the micros, so this type of lunacy is pretty standard" then what makes you think they will be paying attention or care about your image?
      yep. At 0.05/0.1 you don't need to focus on table image. other players don't even know what is that

about the hands:
      1st hand is pretty ok.

2nd hannd: u have to call 2BB in a 10,5BBpot. it's a fold because you are pretty behind and 1:5 is not big enough. not only flushes and straights beat you, but any 2pair or even Qx. It's a fold and that does not affect your image at all.
    • Helipacter
      Helipacter
      Bronze
      Cheers guys.

Whilst the majority of the time you're playing against zombies, I've noticed that there are always one or two who pay attention. I always take notes, so I assume that the better players do too. (I realise that there aren't many at that level, but it's good to still be aware of it.)

The idiots who put themselves in a tricky spot by playing 83o from EP and then try to bet/raise their way out of it don't worry me so much.

Can either of you tell me if there is a huge difference between $0.05/$0.10 & $0.10/$0.20? My BR is ~$50 and I'm thinking of moving up when it hits $65 (300BB BR rule), though if it is a huge difference, I think I'll wait for ~500BB.
    • Dawnfall26
      Dawnfall26
      Black
      Hi!

The only difference is that on 0,1/0,2 there are less totally retarded people but in general its the same. If you think your game is good enough you can go on ,1/,2 with just 50$ since BB wise you have enough for these very soft stakes and if you fall go down when you hit 30$. Sure if you dont want to rush there is nothing wrong by waiting till 60$ or 70$
    • Helipacter
      Helipacter
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dawnfall26
      If you think your game is good enough you can go on ,1/,2
      You see my hands in the eval forum, you know I've got a way to go! :s_biggrin:

Anyway, I'm currently running at 30BB/100, so I'm happy to continue to let these bags of crazy donate to my BR until I move up. Yesterday, I saw a player limp all the way through a hand with KAs! You gotta love the micros!