Progressing through uNL.

• gsergiul
      gsergiul
      Bronze
      Hello everyone!
      I'm 20 yo and I live in Romania, I started playing poker online on 27 NOV 2010 when I got my starting capital from pokerstrategy which of course I blew away in a weeks span.
      In January this year I decided to give it another shot, I borrowed 15$ from a friend on FTP and started grinding BLT satellites & the 10c rebuy tournament daily.
      After two weeks or so of being constantly breakeven I managed to get 2nd place on the 10c tournament and after playing some more MTTS I decided to switch to cash games. Like any fish who respects himself I played out of my BR and got down to 80$ at which point I realized it's time to change something or I'm gonna go broke, so now I'm playing 2NL SH and got my BR growing extremely slow.

This blog will serve as a place to keep track of my evolution and hopefully get some insight from other players who started from way down and worked themselves up.

My main goals are to play at least 1k hands daily and to get a decent BR for nl5 (>30 BI) this month.

My current BR is 106$ and here's a graph since I started using HEM.

Thanks for reading everyone and good luck at the tables. :)
  • 8 replies
    • gsergiul
      gsergiul
      Bronze
      First 1k hands, my horrible run continues. A what should be breakeven session ended with me 4bi under.
      Had my kings run intro aces and my aces cracked by kings in a 3 way AI pot. I think I'm gonna call it a day. Hope you guys are having a better day than me. :D

• gsergiul
      gsergiul
      Bronze
      Yesterday I didn't get to post here as I wasn't sure if it's smart to continue playing cash games seeing the way it goes. I grinded some BLT satellites and I got my bankroll 116.52$ after converting T$. Grinding BLT satellites seems to be far more profitable at the moment as after my calculations I have to win only 2 out of 5 to be slightly profitable and they pay top 3 out 9 which is not hard to get at all seeing how many fishes are there.

Gonna post again here again at the end of the day, I'm gonna leave you with a song I enjoy blasting when I had a bad day. :f_biggrin:

GET SILLY!
    • gsergiul
      gsergiul
      Bronze
      I took a small break and hopefully gonna keep this more up to date even though nobody is following it :)
      Recently I switched to FR and started playing more tables, but it seems no matter how hard I try it ends up bad, when I'm not going down because ev variance, I'm going down because of situational bad luck, KK vs AA, set vs higher set , overpair vs trips but I know one day it will end and can't wait the day that happens I'm just going to keep moving forward and put in more volume (1k+ hands/day).

Here's a graph of my current standing.
    • FSOPFounder
      FSOPFounder
      Bronze
      NL2 can be quite strange. I have noticed on Full Tilt that there will be at least 3 regs or so at each FR table. Most hands will got to showdown and someone will be holding a significant hand. I have noticed that the table VPIP usually hovers around 10...at least from my experience. Meaning that everybody is playing tight, like they should, but it is very difficult to play these tables without the patience of a sloth.

If you are lucky enough to find a table with a couple of fish, it is profitable, as long as the other regs allow you to isolate and you do the same for them. But, in my experience this has been the exception, rather than the rule. Not sure if it is because of Black Friday...and all the American fish are gone or what.

I too had luck at the single table SnG's...but lost money at the Cash Games. SnG's have higher variance, but it is definitely a different brand of poker. My suggestion is to play the SnG's predominantly and only put 3BI's in a the CG's/day, until you see an improvement in your success.

This way you will only risk $6/day at the CG, which you should be able to handle. Once you lose the $6...no more CG for the day.

Also, change your graph to show Big Blinds and not $. At the NL2 tables, it was better for me to think of things in BB's and not $'s. Actually it is better to just think of your decisions made and not results, but that is difficult for me to do, so I find myself wanting to see my progress. However, never track your progress while you are playing. Just know if you have went through 3BI's or not and check your progress only after the session is over.

With the tournies...stay strickly to BRM...which it sounds like you are doing. Keep doing it!

Sorry for such a long post on your blog...I just see a lot of what I posted in my blog and wanted to throw my 2 cents in to hopefully keep you from doing the same thing that I did.

Good luck going forward!
    • gsergiul
      gsergiul
      Bronze
      Well FSOP I've read a bit in your blog and I can tell you that playing 1 table of FR will drive you insane, there is no way you can get enough volume in to see any reliable results (while still maintaining your sanity that is). In my experience playing more tables also gets you used to swings easier, because you can lose 2 stacks this minute and win 3 the next one, which also provides you with more rakeback, more experience, less boredom AND you also don't over analyze moves at this level which I found was a big deal for me, nowadays I RARELY bluff, cbet far less and with top pair top kicker I BET BET BET and usually fold them to raises ( NO YOU'RE NOT BEING EXPLOITABLE @ THIS LEVEL FOR DOING THAT :P ) also try to call 3 bets much tighter and fold pp's to 3bets more :)

EDIT: changed the graph from $ to big bets :)
    • gsergiul
      gsergiul
      Bronze
      Today was kind of a breakeven day but that's cool, at least at this pace I'm getting in a lot of spots and in time I will surely break the limit, it can't be that hard, the thing is nowadays I'm playing very mechanized and I'm trying to find the kind of play that is profitable against the average player, by the way the games are far tighter than I could have thought. :) And yes I know people don't advocate playing a lot of tables but trying to rationalize your opponents moves at this level will most of the time drive you nuts.
      Here goes my current standing.

And here's a nice song I like to listen while playing.
    • gsergiul
      gsergiul
      Bronze
      Small note here.
      I noticed in FR one of my losing hands is AQ, even though it might be just variance I'd like some tips as I've started changing my opinion about this hands strength in full ring.
      What do you like to do preflop against a semi decent TAG reg (slightly on the nittier side as most 2nl FR people are), let's make 3 scenarios
      1) Early position raise you are on the BU , call/3bet?
      They will often cbet and you'll end up folding without a piece of the flop, so best case scenario you make 1 street of value from his cbet or you're getting value towned when they continue betting most of the time.
      2)Early position raise, you are in the blinds, raise/call/fold ?
      Your hand is basically in his bottom range for pfr from UTG, I usually 3 bet and end up folding somewhere along the way, do you think folding is a decent option? Because calling is kinda bad as you are playing OOP and when you do hit it will be hard to extract value.
      3)You raise from BU/CO and get 3bet from the blinds fold/call?
      Here I sometimes call sometimes fold for kinda the same reason as 1
    • gsergiul
      gsergiul
      Bronze
      After playing a SEMI decent ammount of hands just to test the waters I noticed it's harder to hunt the fish on FR and that I'm a breakeven player there and decided to go back to 6max where I was more confident in my play. In FR I was always afraid of monsters under the bed because of how tight most people play.

FULL RING
      VS
      6MAX