This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

The theory of poker and NLH theory and practice

• 6 replies
    • Philipvw
      Philipvw
      Bronze
      You can start with NL Theory and Practice without problems. Great book!
    • snowylee
      snowylee
      Bronze
      Yeah ok, perhaps I will do that then. If I remember correctly I believe you said in another post that your take on "Theory of poker" was more for limit play right?
    • Philipvw
      Philipvw
      Bronze
      Theory of poker is more about general theories and concepts of poker you need to think about when making a desicion. In the book these concepts are illustrated with five-card draw, seven-card stud, hold 'em, draw lowball, and razz or seven-card lowball. So it's definatly not a NLHE book. However it can give you a better insight in poker in general (and NLHE), but it isn't a book with silver bullets easy to implement in NLHE.
    • arjun2001
      arjun2001
      Bronze
      I have the same 2 books, didn't know similar thread was around here.

I have read the first 2 chapters of theory of poker, then I started reading NL theory and practise, and it was much more exciting.

So I will be reading NL theory first, then I will learn some stud and then read theory of poker.
    • shloogy
      shloogy
      Bronze
      just remember these:

Some of them are mine...

1.Top pair - marginal hand (especially in multi pot)

2.Calling the river is MARGINAL

3.U are only going to be called by a better hand (river play)

4.The gap concept : U need a better hand to call with , than to raise.

hmm...this is basically what could make u a winner
    • Philipvw
      Philipvw
      Bronze
      Originally posted by shloogy
      2.Calling the river is MARGINAL
      I've read about 20 books, and a ton of articles. I have never read a oneliner that is as close to the truth and as valueable as this. Please admin; But this in big letters with a box around it, so that everyone can read it.