weird freeroll

• sindeon
      sindeon
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

I just want to share with you quite strange experience I had today while playing in 5k Snowball freeroll on PartyPoker. :)

Things were going like this:

I was sitting at the table and a few hands later I realized that 8 of 10 players folds instantly every hand. There was only one player acting like real human and for like 5 blind levels we were basically playing heads-up (other guys at the table were still folding against any bets; not a single bet from them except posting SB and BB). Then I knocked that one guy out of the tourney and kept rising against the others with any hand I got (stealing ALL blinds) - still not a single bet or raise from other players. So I started to be a little paranoid ;) ...nobody even responded to my messages in chat. After few blind levels I almost knocked them all out only stealing their blinds and made nice stack. At this point I was moved to another table...with all players acting like humans and real game started. ;)

So, what do you say? :) My only explanation is that those "all-the-time-folding" guys were registrated, but didn´t take part in tourney. But if this is true, I don´t understand why system didn´t knock them out immediately, because game lost it´s sense when I was taking their chips without fighting for them.

But maybe it´s common, I´m only rookie in MTT and I´ve never seen it in cash game I usually play. :D

I´m insterested in your opinion...

Cheers,
      Ondra
  • 7 replies
    • joecar
      joecar
      Silver
      Originally posted by sindeon
      Hi guys,

I just want to share with you quite strange experience I had today while playing in 5k Snowball freeroll on PartyPoker. :)

Things were going like this:

I was sitting at the table and a few hands later I realized that 8 of 10 players folds instantly every hand. There was only one player acting like real human and for like 5 blind levels we were basically playing heads-up (other guys at the table were still folding against any bets; not a single bet from them except posting SB and BB). Then I knocked that one guy out of the tourney and kept rising against the others with any hand I got (stealing ALL blinds) - still not a single bet or raise from other players. So I started to be a little paranoid ;) ...nobody even responded to my messages in chat. After few blind levels I almost knocked them all out only stealing their blinds and made nice stack. At this point I was moved to another table...with all players acting like humans and real game started. ;)

So, what do you say? :) My only explanation is that those "all-the-time-folding" guys were registrated, but didn´t take part in tourney. But if this is true, I don´t understand why system didn´t knock them out immediately, because game lost it´s sense when I was taking their chips without fighting for them.

But maybe it´s common, I´m only rookie in MTT and I´ve never seen it in cash game I usually play. :D

I´m insterested in your opinion...

Cheers,
      Ondra
    • kolacar
      kolacar
      Bronze
      Dream table!!!
    • Zhusy
      Zhusy
      Bronze
      Since it is a freeroll many people register beforehand and forget about it. I know many times to reister on a freeroll, forget it and turn off my poker software or go from the PC. No big deal and nothing new actually... it happens that you get on the table such people, and no they won't kick anybody or "remove" cause in tournaments you get your stack, if you sit on it or not you will lose it cause of the blinds. You can sit out on any tournament (even live) but your stack remains on the table and is eaten.

Cash game on the other hand is a cash game and when you sit out your money sits out with you. Thats one of the big differences between tournyes and cash.

You pay for the ticket, that money goes into the prizepool and your chips get on the table and have to stay on it. Unlike cash.

You were just pretty lucky to get 8 AFK (away from keyboard) people.
    • breena
      breena
      Bronze
      Yeah Ive had this happen loads especially on Everest as they seem to just auto register anyone that has made any rake into these freerolls and they just randomly pop up whilst your playing.

I usually just close the table down like most people cause there are busy with other games so its like a tourney full of autofolding zombies.

Yeah just min raise every hand everyone folds, sometimes you can get 2 - 3 tables full of zombies to chip up from before anyone even fights back. Can be a bit boring though
    • Pokerbeyky
      Pokerbeyky
      Silver
      I usually hope in the early stages of free rolls to get just one of those tables where the most players just sit out. Often enough you can agree with the one or two other players to share the blinds from the "sit outs". This way you can build up your chip stack quite nicely without risk (boring but effective) and you usually make a friend (when you chat to the other active player), which in later stages can be useful.

Be aware that most poker sites "eliminate" short stacks in later stages, just watch it. A voluntary all-Inn pre flop of a short stack results 99,9% in elimination (if called by a bigger stack) no matter if you have 72o or AA, you will loose, just observe the magical flops, turns and rivers to turn your opponents crap had into the nuts ...
    • nativehero2007
      nativehero2007
      Bronze
      Yes.. alot of people sign up for freerolls and never play them... i know on party..... lets say the canadian 50 seat frenzy... at 23:55 .... 5- 600 players are registered ..... there might only be 3- 400 people actually playing ... some people sit out till blinds are 100/200 than start to play.... so anyways thats my 2 cents
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      By the way, even though you probably know, Pokerbeyky is either trolling, or just an idiot. Poker sites don't eliminate short stacks like that. Believe me, I've lost enough all-ins against short stacks to know :P (I've also won my share, so I'm not saying it's rigged the other way)