[NL2-NL10] nl2 set vs flush

• Jim4rdo
      Jim4rdo
      Bronze
      Hi :)

Wondering whether or not you would have called this. I didn't snap call, took a while thinking trying to decide if it was good. But I decided for the odds I was getting it was worth it.

I see my flop betting size was a bit weird, should have been more, especially to protect.

Villians stats: 47/26/3.4

Is this in general the kind of call I should be avoiding? Give him credit for the re-raise on turn and big bet on river? It's just the final river bet looked a bit weird, esp considering he didn't go all in which was surely his goal if he had hit the flush. Trying to fix all these leaks, and i'm wondering if i'm calling a bit too loose.

Thanks as always

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      MP2:
      $2.05
      MP3:
      $2.08
      CO:
      $2.05
      BU:
      $2.38
      SB:
      $2.01
      BB (Hero):
      $3.28

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3, 3.
      MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $0.07, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.05.

Flop: ($0.15) A, 5, 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.08, MP3 calls $0.08.

Turn: ($0.31) Q (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.22, MP3 raises to $0.50, Hero calls $0.28.

River: ($1.31) 9 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $1.20, Hero calls $1.20.

Final Pot: $3.71.
      Results follow:

Hero shows three of a kind, threes(3 3).
      MP3 shows high card ace(7 8).

Hero wins with three of a kind, threes(3 3).
  • 5 replies
    • Adapter1337
      Adapter1337
      Bronze
      Hello!

Preflop:
      Correct

Flop:
      Why you donkbet here?
      He seems to be fishy.
      He have a lot of Ax (also A2/A4 with gutter), flushdraws, even 46, so what happens here is, you donkbet, he call all this hands often, you get only one bet in, in bad board. If you check, then i think 80%+ times he cbet with all this hands, then you raise big and im pretty much sure, he never folding hands like this. So you lose one big raise here. Problem is, if he have some weak Ax, he just call you here, and if turn is spade, he never raise you again, you dont get money in, but its your goal. I think donkbet here against one opponent ist best play (its def. +ev play, but more +ev is check-raise).
      IF you donkbet, then why so small? Make it 0.12, he is fish, he isnt high thinking player, that well he donkbet here, donkbets are usually weak, i raise it up any2.

Turn:
      As played flop, is turn well played, you def have odds to call + you have very often best hand, but you cant but one raise more, so well played. bet size is also fine.

River:
      Its bit hard, but he is so fishy, he can overplay some 2pair.
      Im not sure what is best play, in NL2 i problably call here vs such a fish, but i exept to lose often.

Its for silver:
      How to play small pocket pairs and sets
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1591/1/

It may help you.
    • kevvu
      kevvu
      Bronze
      Hey,
      Pre-flop looks good to call against so aggro player. Against TAGs u should most likely fold small PPs OOP.
      Post-flop i don´t like your flop donk at all, especially sizing (make it at least 2/3 of pot). Villain will c-bet a lot of these Ace xx board. So we should go for ch/raise. As played i think Turn bet and call for oods and outs is good. But, when he bets river again, it gets close. But against this aggressive player it should still be +EV call.
    • Jim4rdo
      Jim4rdo
      Bronze
      Thanks to you both :)

I know the bet sizing for flop was wrong, that it should have had been at least 2/3 of the pot, not sure why I did that.

But surely I don't want to check just in case he checks? That way I'm giving away a free card with a flush draw on table? I need to protect my hand, no?

P.s Accidently pressed the button saying need evaluation again, sorry.
    • Adapter1337
      Adapter1337
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jim4rdo
      But surely I don't want to check just in case he checks? That way I'm giving away a free card with a flush draw on table? I need to protect my hand, no?
      More often they bet with flushdraw than check back, and in that way you get usually raise also, they dont fold, so its huge +ev.
      Indeed sometimes they check back, but money if they dont, is sooo huge, that i belive check is best play here.
      If he check back and flush hits, you can just call.
    • kevvu
      kevvu
      Bronze
      Its so weird that it updates so slowly, overposted again.