Went from $34 to $178 - what next?

• Vinyard799
      Vinyard799
      Bronze
      Hello folks!

I went from $34 to $178 in less than a week. I ended up at 11th place in a MTT with about 5700 players and received $49. It was kinda depressing to lose so close to the final table but what can I do. After that I ha about $84 in my account and I was happy and I played Sit n Go's and small MTT but haven't won anything big. I'm doing pretty good on the cash tables and I'm up to $178 right now so that's almost 600% ROI and I'm really satisfied. But seriously... I'm stuck right now. I have no idea what to do. I don't want to risk my money on cash tables so I've been playing a few $1.1 and although I made it to the cash prizes I'm not making a huge profit.
      Since PokerStars removed the Double or Nothing SnG's I have no clue what to do. I have noticed that I'm playing bad at turbo tournaments so that's not an option. I've been thinking about the $4.4 180 man SnG on PokerStars where the blinds increase every 15 minutes but I don't think my bankroll will allow this. I'm a very cautious player and I want to make it to $1000 before the summer.
      Please help me out folks. What should I play?
  • 22 replies
    • datsmahname
      datsmahname
      Global
      Learn about BR management... that'll tell you whats next.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Originally posted by datsmahname
      Learn about BR management... that'll tell you whats next.
      Did you even read his post? He has been following BRM as far as I can tell, and doesn't want to play $4.40 180 mans because of BRM.

I'd suggest you play whatever you have fun playing that your BR allows. If you like the STT then play the $5 or whatever your BR allows. If you like cash games start playing on NL5. If you like MTTs stick to the $1 ones due to the high variance.

Good luck.
    • Vinyard799
      Vinyard799
      Bronze
      @datsmahname: Yeah I know about BRM but the things is that I find it extremely boring to 4-table the 2 cent tables, 5 cent tables or whatever.

@Wriggers: I've been thinking about $5.5 heads up SnG and it might be my next move. I might combine HU SnG games with a few $1.1 tourneys.

Thanks.
    • pavels4444
      pavels4444
      Bronze
      Hey

It depends what kind of games you want to play

MTT's : I would disagree that you have to stick just to the $1 ones. Those are pretty easy to beat. I think $2 and $3 are fine as well
      I didnt really follow BR management but managed to work my way up playing those tourneys. Unfortunately just step by step ... I have been close to the final table so many times (I play also on Stars, fields of thousands of players). With my $300 bankroll, i play $1-5 MTT's

SNG's : $4,40 - you can try these but I find them harder to beat than $1-5 MTT's. Too bad stars dont have $2,20 non turbo 180players tourneys. With your bankroll, I woulnt play larger than $3 SnG. Also I woulnt recommend turbos. Everybody sooner or later realizes how much luck plays role there.

Cash games: Although I dont play cash games almost at all. I would say NL5 max

Also you can try $2 HU SnG's
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Vinyard799
      @datsmahname: Yeah I know about BRM but the things is that I find it extremely boring to 4-table the 2 cent tables, 5 cent tables or whatever.

@Wriggers: I've been thinking about $5.5 heads up SnG and it might be my next move. I might combine HU SnG games with a few $1.1 tourneys.

Thanks.
      hey

if you've only been playing a week I probably wouldn't get into HU sng yet. The varience is higher than you'd think and they require a more solid understanding of the game imo.

Stay well within BRM and if you're just starting you might as well mix it up a bit and play what is the most fun
    • Tominho89
      Tominho89
      Bronze
      Stars 5$-10$ Husng's are rly soft, if u know what ur doing.
    • ShaQQ
      ShaQQ
      Bronze
      Play everything, can learn cheaply.
    • Vinyard799
      Vinyard799
      Bronze
      Thanks for all the replies! I'm feeling down right now since I didn't cash in at three $2,2 180 Man SnGs. I got A J and the flop was J, J, Q and a lot of action before me so I decided to shove. One guy called my all in with J 10 and flopped the darn 10 on the turn. Aaargh! I'm down to $171 so that's enough for today.

I want to reach $10.000 but I'm still in school so it's going to take some time.
      Those of you who reached $10k + with a small bankroll could you please tell me how you achieved it?
    • Vinyard799
      Vinyard799
      Bronze
      Sorry for double post but let me ask you this: What would YOU do if you had $180 in your bankroll. I'm just so afraid I will lose all my money that I barely have the guts to play $2 SnGs lol.
      And those of you who managed to get from $50 to $10.000 (I know there are a bunch here) please tell me how you achieved it. It would be very helpful.
    • Tampaloeres81
      Tampaloeres81
      Bronze
      One guy called my all in with J 10 and flopped the darn 10 on the turn.
      Epic :f_biggrin:

Anyways, dont be sad about not winning money in 3 MTT's in a row. Thats why they recommend 100 BI's for MTT's ;)

t.
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      $178 to $9
    • Bigniux
      Bigniux
      Bronze
      Sorry for double post but let me ask you this: What would YOU do if you had $180 in your bankroll. I'm just so afraid I will lose all my money that I barely have the guts to play $2 SnGs lol.
      And those of you how managed to get from $50 to $10.000 (I know there are a bunch here) please tell me how you achieved it. It would be very helpful.
      Playing turbo 45mans, stakes start at 0,25$. When BR increased, switched to turbo 180s
    • Vinyard799
      Vinyard799
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tampaloeres81
      One guy called my all in with J 10 and flopped the darn 10 on the turn.
      Epic :f_biggrin:

Anyways, dont be sad about not winning money in 3 MTT's in a row. Thats why they recommend 100 BI's for MTT's ;)

t.
      Fail yes =) He... turned the darn 10 :)
    • Heffron89
      Heffron89
      Bronze
      Thanks for all the replies! I'm feeling down right now since I didn't cash in at three $2,2 180 Man SnGs. I got A J and the flop was J, J, Q and a lot of action before me so I decided to shove. One guy called my all in with J 10 and flopped the darn 10 on the turn. Aaargh! I'm down to $171 so that's enough for today.

I want to reach $10.000 but I'm still in school so it's going to take some time.
      Those of you who reached $10k + with a small bankroll could you please tell me how you achieved it?
      so u know 50 bi downswings are common in 2.20 180 mans.
    • Vinyard799
      Vinyard799
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Heffron89

Yeah they piss me off. Just got eliminated in 10th place and earned two bucks or so. If I would have won it would give me a pretty sweet bankroll boost (+$108)
      Have you been playing a lot of these SnGs?
    • Heffron89
      Heffron89
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Heffron89

Yeah they piss me off. Just got eliminated in 10th place and earned two bucks or so. If I would have won it would give me a pretty sweet bankroll boost (+$108)
      Have you been playing a lot of these SnGs?
      Hehe, na I dont play them but a friend do and if ur good at them u can earn very nice profits!
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tominho89

I highly disrecommend hu sng's for a beginner personally. they require a way better understanding of the game then just regular sng's. I won't deny that i think they are soft.. but variance is just so sick you'll still lose to those donkeys. Since he probably won't crush them i don't think it's a good idea.

I think most people really underestimate how high variance poker can be and have never ran into a really bad downswing.
    • Vinyard799
      Vinyard799
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hahaownedlolz

I highly disrecommend hu sng's for a beginner personally. they require a way better understanding of the game then just regular sng's. I won't deny that i think they are soft.. but variance is just so sick you'll still lose to those donkeys. Since he probably won't crush them i don't think it's a good idea.

I think most people really underestimate how high variance poker can be and have never ran into a really bad downswing.
      I've played a couple of heads up and they are fairly easy but I avoid them as much as I can. I've been playing poker since I was 16 and have 2 years experience but I agree that the variance is extremely sick.

@bigniux: I just tried a couple of 45 man $0.25 and it was pretty easy. Was in position 1 for a long time but donked out after a while. Got back on my feet again and made it to the final table. Pretty soon I was heads up with $6000 chips or so against $50.000 and I won. The only problem I have with these SnGs are the slow blinds (10 minutes). It took over an hour to make it to the final table and only 45 players enrolled. Pretty boring actually and I only won $3.50. It's a nice ROI but I just couldn't stand this SnG.

I'm trying to figure out what my next move is. Tried a couple of different games but nothing which suits me. I will play $1.1 MTT for now and I'll try to experiment with a few games. Thanks for all the great tips!
      If you got more suggestions please let me know!
    • Heffron89
      Heffron89
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hahaownedlolz

I always wondered why peoepl say that hu sng has sick varaince?? if 2 players got same edge then its 50/50 who win in a 9 man sng its way less chance to win or am i wrong?