Video Discussion - Bluffing the Amateur

• DanielUK
      DanielUK
      Bronze
      Bluffing a loose amateur is never easy. Even when you've put them on a medium strength hand, taking them off it can prove difficult.

Take a look at this video from High Stakes Poker Season 7 where David 'Viffer' Peat gets looked up by rich businessman and amateur Phill Ruffin.

The pot is $319k when all is said and done and mid-pair, no kicker finds a call for $100,000 on the river of a dangerous board.

Take a look and discuss this hand below.

• 7 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Trying to bluff the one guy that wouldn't beat NL2 at that table is plain stupid. Big mistake by Viffer that cost him a lot of his winnings that night.
    • santostr
      santostr
      Bronze
      I like the bluff with the info he had at that moment.
      I think the other amateurs on that table would have folded. Maybe even Rufin would have folded there if he wasn't winning.

The guy as a ton of money. I know he doesn't know about poker, but I wouldn't assume he thinks like a monkey either.
      "100k? It's <1/5 of my stack, easy call."
    • Zhusy
      Zhusy
      Bronze
      It was just badly played by Peat. It is just a fact it was poor play. If you people play a LOT of live poker like I do you would notice his mistakes and movements and his betting speed/way/reason. That Ruffin is obviously a very bad player, his comment after the hand was ridiculous but still he saw the "change" in Peats play this hand. You people here think too much "online" like. This is LIVE, it is another level of thinking, watching, looking and etc. You don't look on a HUD to find out what the player will do or could do, you look at his whole body, his whole personality.

In short I think Ruffin had a subconscious read which he couldn't explain to himself, basically a voice which told him "CALL" he is doing a move. And it was pretty obvious he is doing it. Just compare the trips and the bluff hand. But still that doesn't change the fact that Ruffin is a bad player who made one good call/read.

High stakes poker is funny, only thing missing is the old commentator.
    • JohhnyKid
      JohhnyKid
      Bronze
      [quote]Originally posted by Zhusy
      It was just badly played by Peat. It is just a fact it was poor play. If you people play a LOT of live poker like I do you would notice his mistakes and movements and his betting speed/way/reason. That Ruffin is obviously a very bad player, his comment after the hand was ridiculous but still he saw the "change" in Peats play this hand. You people here think too much "online" like. This is LIVE, it is another level of thinking, watching, looking and etc. You don't look on a HUD to find out what the player will do or could do, you look at his whole body, his whole personality.

I totally agree with that !!! I play a lot live too and there are some differences! :s_biggrin:
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      lolol

Ruffin had a king in his hand, a king on the board, 600k infront of him and probably billions in the bank, thats why he called.
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      Trying to bluff the one guy that wouldn't beat NL2 at that table is plain stupid. Big mistake by Viffer that cost him a lot of his winnings that night.
      I absolutely agree. He's probably the only player at the table who is not bluffable at all. The other two guys are actually quite decent players who i think would be able to beat maybe even NL10.

Btw i absolutely love Ruffins explanation "Well i have a shitload of money so i can afford to make these calls. Plus my hand might be good."
    • TeusBonegan
      TeusBonegan
      Bronze
      Il vecchio miliardario avrebbe chiamato anche 1ml $, tanto per gustarsi la faccia impietrita del ragazzino suicida.