Spewing $ from BB / 3 betting

• hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      So, I'm looking at my FT stats positionally (which I can't believe I've never done before) and something jumped out...

I was in the green for 5/6 positions. Nice. The one position I was in the red for, however, was the BB. While I expect that the BB will be a money loser, I was shocked to see by how much...

SB: 8 BB/100 hands
      BB: -40 BB/100 hands
      EP: 21 BB/100 hands
      MP: 27 BB/100 hands
      CO: 18 BB/100 hands
      BTN: 19 BB/100 hands

That's a pretty large discrepancy. So I'm looking for other reasons why this could be (besides poor oop post flop decisions and maybe preflop hand selection).

I noticed that my 3 bet % is significantly higher from the BB than anywhere else.

I have been trying to three bet more recently because I think that is a pretty big leak I have. In the past, my 3 bet % was between 2 and 2.5, which makes the decision of whether to call me pretty easy for anyone with some stats.

I have been 3 betting oop more specifically, thinking that if I'm going to play a hand oop, I should three bet (if my hand has some strength) instead of call because that way I'll get a much better idea of what I'm up against. So, naturally, with $ already committed, it becomes very easy to play marginal hands oop in the BB and 3 betting where in the past I may have just called.

I think it is also interesting that I've played more hands from the BB than any other spot.

My VPIP is virtually the same for BB, EP and MP. My VPIP is a little higher for the CO and higher still for the BTN. My highest VPIP is the SB.

So, for all of you who may want to help me with some advice, I have two questions...

1) Based on what I have written, what are a few tips for plugging my BB leak?

2) Is my reason for 3 betting more from BB a good one? Is my higher 3 betting from the BB responsible for my BB leak?

Thanks!
  • 4 replies
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      folding all hands @ BB makes it -100BB/100hands.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      Originally posted by supeyrio
      confirmed
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Sample size?
      <10,000 hands ?

when 3-betting from the BB a lot depends on what position the original raiser is in, and what his 3-bet pct is.

Be choosy against whom you 3-bet, and be choosy about the hands you decide to defend your blind with.

after 11,000 hands, my stats are similar to yours except:
      I have slightly negative winrate from SB
      modest winrate from EP over all, but strangely, when that is broken out, I am v high from UTG, but negative from UTG+1 -- I'll have to have a look at that.
      v good from MP
      positive but lower winrate from CO
      better from BU, but still not as good as MP
      my winrate from the BB is also quite negative. (-36 /100)

note that I've only been playing poker online since Sept '10 and I suspect a lot of my stats are largely due to the fact that I am still learning.

One other thought,
      Can you remove from your BB stats all the hands where you folded?
      Then see how you actually do when you 3-bet.

Like you, my VPIP from the SB is highest of all, but I think that this reflects those times when there were a ton of limpers, and I limped right along 'cuz the pot odds were like 7:1 etc -- and in the micros that's a lot.

My 3-bet pct is betwen 3 and 5 pct in all pos, and like you it is highest in the BB
    • hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze

Please explain what you mean!

:f_confused:

Sample size? <10,000 hands ?

Be choosy against whom you 3-bet, and be choosy about the hands you decide to defend your blind with.

I have to admit that I think about my cards and the question of their strength more than who my opponent is in these situations.

Can you remove from your BB stats all the hands where you folded? Then see how you actually do when you 3-bet.

Yes, I think a more detailed review is in order!

Thanks for the conversation.

:f_pleased: