Upswing - to quit session or ... what?

• drbloody
      drbloody
      Bronze
      Hi there guys,

Haven't posted in a while I reckon. I'm kinda overwhelmed with thoughts and plans about my poker career as well as studying the game 'n' stuff.
      I admit I'm kinda lazy and being antisocial on the forums here lately, and I feel kinda bad for it. Also I gotta get my blog prepped and improve my writing skills. I was never into forums before I started poker...

My current limit is NL10, playing FR BSS. Was reg for 110k hands on NL25, but after a minor cashout back in december that got coupled with a huge downswing beginning of january I had to go down a limit.
      Also I haven't played half january and february since I was in France. Horribly PokerStars didn't let me play from french IPs, because they actually nationalized all online poker sites in France. I'm totally disgusted with their bureaucracy !!

OK, let me get back to the point,

in 300k hands I played so far, I quite managed to learn to quit session after losing 3BIs max in order to prevent bigger losses and eventual tilt. But lately I caught myself being unsure whether I should quit a session after an extremely sick run.
      Like this one here :tongue:

Would you stop there after first big pot lost ? Seriously I'm having more trouble not stopping when running good, if no trouble at all when running bad. I kinda a feel it's a good thing to stop there and preserve +7BIs for that session and call it quits. I know we should play our fixed amount of hands, or time, therefore I never feel too much confident on my decisions like this one now.

Most of the time when I win ~ 4-5 BI's I feel the urge to quit the session and preserve what I've won so far, being afraid of under ev suckouts, etc. This occurs especially if I'm 400-800 hands away from the session end.

What would be your approaches to situations like these ?

Cheers and hope to post soon again :)

dRb
  • 5 replies
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      If the tables are good and you're able to play your A-game you should keep playing until the tables become crappy or you aren't playing your A-game anymore... Best would be not to check how much you're up/down and keep playing till tables are good, although that is a bit harder at NL than at FL... Another option is improving your mindset and simply not caring about results, which will enable you to play your A-game at pretty much any time.
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      I'll never leave a table if i know i'm playing good. It does not matter if i'm on a upswing or downswing. Play as long as you are sure you're doing all the right decisions.

By the way, those "swings" don't really exist, it will take you a time to fully understand that.

Leave if you're on tilt, Period
    • OZSA
      OZSA
      Bronze
      I got exactly this...if I'm up 5-6+ BI and afterwards I get a sick suckout I prolly just stop coz it fucks up my mindset. or if I make a big mistake not valuebetting or not playing the hand correctly it fucks up my mindset again and I stop.. usually for about 10minutes... the only exception is when I see a big fish on any tables of mine, then I stay till he has money, and have a break afterwards, 10-20minutes depending on the badbeat or mistake I did. for every mistake I make I punish myself with a break :P it helps ur BR
    • drbloody
      drbloody
      Bronze
      thnx ppls,

Originally posted by Schnitzelfisch
      If the tables are good and you're able to play your A-game you should keep playing until the tables become crappy or you aren't playing your A-game anymore... Best would be not to check how much you're up/down and keep playing till tables are good, although that is a bit harder at NL than at FL... Another option is improving your mindset and simply not caring about results, which will enable you to play your A-game at pretty much any time.
      Trying not to check to m8, but when huge action occurs I don't feel discomfort in taking a look at results, guess it's just the way I am. My idea is that a strong mindset shouldn't be negatively affect by just being aware of current progress. THats the ideal :) I guess

Originally posted by nathanrenard
      I'll never leave a table if i know i'm playing good. It does not matter if i'm on a upswing or downswing. Play as long as you are sure you're doing all the right decisions.

By the way, those "swings" don't really exist, it will take you a time to fully understand that.

Leave if you're on tilt, Period
      I started reading The Poker mindset lately, but still getting things together. Swings don't exist, shouldn't be forgetting that, :rolleyes:

Cheers

Originally posted by OZSA
      I got exactly this...if I'm up 5-6+ BI and afterwards I get a sick suckout I prolly just stop coz it fucks up my mindset. or if I make a big mistake not valuebetting or not playing the hand correctly it fucks up my mindset again and I stop.. usually for about 10minutes... the only exception is when I see a big fish on any tables of mine, then I stay till he has money, and have a break afterwards, 10-20minutes depending on the badbeat or mistake I did. for every mistake I make I punish myself with a break :P it helps ur BR
      Same Mindset distortions here :s_o:

A way will come up to cope with `em trough extreme practice aand hand storming.
      oooow it's late here,
      gotta go, head full... escape... thuh screeeeen :f_cool:

get sorted and stuff

...it's all about arising to the state of flow trough positive PsychologY :tongue:
    • drbloody
      drbloody
      Bronze
      Thnx for all the comments, game ON oZ :s_evil:

game on, :spade: :heart: :diamond: :club: game on guys

in poker wE trust