C BET Against Calling Station

• byxl
      byxl
      Bronze
      I really feel that in some cases c-bets are useless. When I play against some very loose players I know they gonna call no matter what's on the flop and I know I'm losing extra bet if I'm c-betting air. Should I avoid c-bets and just check in these instances (at least against calling stations who I've notice always check, unless they have the absolute nuts)?
  • 7 replies
    • shehanshah
      shehanshah
      Bronze
      c-betting should only be done if there's only one player against u, and that too who somewhat understands poker. C-betting against calling stations is just completely useless and pointless in the long run, as u know they r callin u down anyway.. If u play micro stakes, then try to avoid c-betting in general.Also c-bet when u actually have a piece of the flop like middle pair or good draws.
    • byxl
      byxl
      Bronze
      Yeah, figured... I c bet air against those opponent who actually fold (3 way pot max or if its checked to me in late position and I have some kind of a hand). In HU against calling stations I c bet only if I at least have an A or overcards (which proved strong enough at the showdown on several occasions, since is not rare I see them call with backdoor flush draws, backdooor strait draws etc.)... Also, I think the practice is good for deceptive value against serious opponents who use software stats against me in order to get an impression that I actually don't c-bet all the time and possible make them fold some marginal hands on the flop.
    • FaulV16ke
      FaulV16ke
      Bronze
      this is what I'm trying to do - c-bet when you think your opponent can fold his better hand (seldomly on micros) or when you have better hand and you think opponent has something he can call with, even when he is worse(more often)...
      the fact that on micros there are several players on the flop makes your c-bet usually not profitable, but everything depends on your opponents, flop and stuff.
      making notes on players or using HUD software can really make your decision about cbetting easier...

EDIT:
      oooops...didn't realise this is a fixed limit thread...
    • lsobr
      lsobr
      Basic
      It depends on the stake you are playing. In very low stakes you must be very carefull when C-Betting. In higher stakes C-Betting is a very good move. It also depends on the tables.

Full Ring makes C-Bet less profitable, 6-player makes them more profitable, because the range of your opponents is wider. It all depends on the table you are playing, the stakes you are playing and the opponents you are playing.

I particularly like playing 6-players. In my opinion the variance will be lower (some people disagree) because the number of people on the flop will be also lower and the ranges will be wider. IMO this tables make better players have an amazing advantage.
    • redskwerl
      redskwerl
      Black
      this is of course situational, but very often cbetting "air" is actually for value vs calling stations. eg.: you raise on the BU with Q8o, BB calls (wow), board is K75 rainbow. they will peel all the gutshots, JT T9 type of hands, stuff like Q4 etc.
      yes they may not fold a lot, but you should still bet since you're doing well vs their calling range
    • byxl
      byxl
      Bronze
      Ohhhh :D ....yeah their calling range is amazing...I remember this weird situation - I raised UTG+ (+1 or +2 nut sure) with AA, and he called from late position. I bet the flop on a board AK9 (think 9, maybe an 8, can't be sure, but I know it wasn't a T) rainbow and he calls. Turn was a Q (a scary card for me, since they do often chase that gutshot strait). Now I bet again and he calls. The river was another Q and I bet again, feeling at ease that he can't suck out on me with the strait, and he calls. Turns out he had 33.
      Now, what possible hand range he could put me on, or what possible hand I could have had in that particular situation that he can beat me with, is a complete mystery to me. Now the bizarre thing is, he actually didn't go busto that evening...
    • lsobr
      lsobr
      Basic
      Yeah, with them you can bet the flop, turn and river, you will probably win some very good pots because if they do not hit the miracle card they will fold on the river.

Except one guy i played two days ago. He called me with anything, 10 high, Q high, just crazy - he re-raised with air all the time, crazy crazy person. I was playing 1/2 limit Short Handed. Of course i entered the table with 40 dollars and left with 91. In like, 1 hour or something.