Folded AK preflop

• Roya1flush
      Roya1flush
      Bronze
      Hi guys..

Hi guys just wondering what you guys would of done in this situation..

Mansion Poker

NL .50 / 1 Ten player table..

My hand A :spade: K :club:

In middle position and i raised the pot to $8 everyone folds and Big Blind Re-Raised to $70.. and i folded my hand..

Ok the reason for my fold is the BB player I have played against a lot..

He is very tight player and only plays Top Hands Premium Hands normally.. I have also noticed that normally when he re-raise like that he is holding top pocket pairs and i put him on a AA / KK and folded my hand...

Was this the correct play?? because this play is bugging me.. now i am regrating not calling thinking he might also have AK..
  • 6 replies
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      If you think his hand range would be AA, KK or maybe AK, then of course you would fold against a tight player, who make this move out of position. You will win little, split sometimes, and lose a lot.

Why would you bet $8 from MP on a $1 blind?
    • Roya1flush
      Roya1flush
      Bronze
      Hi

Yea thats why I decided to fold..

The reason why i made that bet is because if i bet any less most people will call.. and if i wanted some action so i did not bet any higher..

Did not expect that kind of action lol..
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      It's probably better to just bet 4xBB for a few reasons.

1. You want people to call with worse hands. If you hit the flop then, you have more money in there to win.

2. If you have to fold your hand, it has cost you less to start with.

3. When you raise a strange amount, it is possible that this tight player makes a bigger move like this with a worse hand than normal. You might be forced to fold here when you have the best hand.

So make the normal bet preflop, and don't be afraid that a lot of people call you.
    • Macrophage
      Macrophage
      Bronze
      I think that you got bluffed... 70x BB...
      No just kidding, this is not normal and it´s just too suspicious to call with only AK offsuit.

How did you play pre-flop? Must be quite loose if you raise 8BB on a hand like AK... Or was the table loose exept you and the 70BB raiser?
    • Macrophage
      Macrophage
      Bronze
      Originally posted by aciddrop
      So make the normal bet preflop, and don't be afraid that a lot of people call you.
      With AK I think you don´t want a lot of people to call you because:
      - you risk to loose big time when someone plays Ax and hits his x or even the x and the Ace on the flop.
      - the risk of overplaying that hand on a missed (low) flop is quite high.
      - by getting called by many people you radically decrese your win odds.
      but you imply your implied odds isn´t it?

So: by getting called by many players you reduce your long term profit on AK radically.

Anyway, play it like you think you have to play it, make sure AK won´t become a hand you loose money on. (In the long term) ;)
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      Yes, I agree, with AK, and also AA and KK you don't want a lot of callers. But, my point is, to bet 8xBB first in to keep callers out is a mistake. If people are going to call the raise, they will usually do so with a weak hand, and that is their mistake. Betting 8xBB will only cost you more in the long run, when you have to fold to the big reraise. And it will keep most weak hands out, so no profit from bad calls either.