Pinowww's blog! Still alive and kicking

• Pinowww
      Pinowww
      Bronze
      Hi everybody,

My name is Remco de Vries, but most of you might know as Pinowww, either online or from the forums. I live in Holland, I am 22 years old and born and raised in Krimpen aan den IJssel, a small small town just under Rotterdam. At the moment of me writing this I am searching for an apartment in Rotterdam to live there for the next couple of years with a couple of friends.

My Pokerstars avatar:

(awesome :P )

But the face that my friends and family know me from:

The photo above was taken at the PCA 2011 in which I was playing (no notable results :P ).

I believe I might be one of the few poker players that actually sets an alarm clock every morning at 7:45 to be able to have a somewhat normal sleep rithm as I do consider poker to be my job. I am playing mostly from 9 until 6 for an average of 50 hours a week. In general I do not play in the evenings and also in weekends alot less.

I am also still in college. Currently I am in my fifth year of college studying mechanical engineering at the University in Delft. But I am only in my second year of mechanical engineering so I am not really moving at a fast pace. I am doing like atleast one exam per block (four blocks in one year in two semesters), but never more than two, while an average student does like three or four exams per block meaning I am studying at like halve to one thirds of the pace a normal student studies. But as long as I do not drop out I will get my bachelor sooner or later. I do believe it is important to always have something to fall back on, but I do not have any plans to get my master after my bachelor.

I work out pretty much daily before I start playing poker and see good food as the best thing on earth.
      This life style is pretty much social suicide so i spend most of my nights amongst other people in the gym, at thaiboxing, kyokushinkai karate, with friends or just go drinking somewhere with some people I know. I am starting to associate the computer more and more with work which means I am getting less and less relaxation out of it.

If people ask me where I see myself in the future, because college is moving so slow and I am getting older and I do not pick up any working experience I can only answer;
      I am happy with how my life is now. I am doing what I love, I am loving what I do and I am making good money. Is that not what everybody wants in the end in a job?

But you do give up a lot of things you do get in a normal job. Social interaction with other people is my biggest concern. And a big number two is that you are not getting the feeling you really do alot for the society in return. This job has still not been really accepted in society and it does not really help society in a major way. And I do expect that pretty much every professional player will put some question marks if what he doing, is right sooner or later and if it is not better to go do something else.

But there are also two major things that can compensate a lot of this:
      1. The more I would earn, the more freedoms I would give up for is. At the same time it also creates a lot more freedom and you can always plan your time the way you want. And if you miss start to miss the social interaction to much, you got all the time in the world to do what you want, so you can always look it up. And just as with everything else, things just won't happen on their own if you are not going after it. Poker also was not a given talent to me at birth, it takes a long time and a lot of dedication to really get good at is.
      2. Somewhere playing poker will also have some sort of purpose in the society, otherwise it would not excist. Yes, you are some sort of parasite, living of other bad players, but there are a lot of other jobs that pretty much do not have a real purpose in the society as well, that are accepted.

Now you all know the person behind the screenname :) .
      I wish everyone a lot of succes on the tables and something I sincerely mean a lot more; a lot of luck and happiness with everything you do. In the end playing poker is just a way a making money, losing money or just for pure entertainment. And the amount of money anyone has should not be a reflection of how happy anyone really is ;) .

• 371 replies
    • Wryzeth
      Wryzeth
      Bronze
      Dutch hero in our hearts. :s_love:
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      Huge fish
    • Pinowww
      Pinowww
      Bronze
      At around the end of august 2008 I started a blog on the Dutch forums of Pokerstrategy. Since than it has gotten almost 120.000 views, more than 4300 posts and being 218 pages long (link: Pinowww's blog ). I started playing using the SSS in which I really sucked hard :P . The only reason why I did not go broke was that my losings were just as high as my rakeback ><. I build my bankroll up since than with s&g's and at the same time I was also grinding tournaments like crazy. I made some nice scores and had some great results. At the point when I was grinding my way up I also made some really nice tournament wins starting with 11$ tournament wins, some 55$ wins, 109$ tournament wins untill I made my first 5 figure score:

Right after that in the SCOOP 2009 I also had some nice results. Unlike most players I was not playing only NLHE but pretty much every game poker has to offer. Although I did not ship any tournament I made some really nice cashes and a couple of really deep runs, a 10th place in $22 rebuy PLO with 4344 runners, a 19th place in the $33 mixed HE event out of 5124 runners, a 27th place in the $320 out of 1125 runners (got deep in the low and medium event on the same night, was pretty funny), a deep run in the $425 (I do not know the exact place, just a post in my blog where I was tilted as crazy since I bust :P ) 8 game event and alot more cashes. I played a lot of events but I did not really play any of the high events since I was not rolled for them. I was event hardly rolled for the medium events with a 20k roll, but there were some people that wanted to back me (and thankfully enough the same person is still backing me in some cases :) ).

I made a pretty decent run in the SCOOP 2009 and got mentioned by a site which name can not be named :P :

The best Dutch player in this event again is Pinowww out of Krimpen aan den IJssel. This, for us unknown, player is putting up a pretty impressive sequence of results during this SCOOP and we will probably hear a lot more of this player in the future.

That SCOOP was pretty much a huge ego boost :D .

After that I kept on grinding the s&g's and tournaments untill was playing all the high stakes s&g's up to 530$ but a real big score stayed out untill the 10th of oktober 2009 when I shipped my first sunday major, the 250k on Mansion Poker:

Was pretty happy with that one :rolleyes: . Not to long after that I won my first 109$ rebuy, which was also one of my main goals I hadn't achieved at the time. Allthough it was not on Pokerstars or on Fulltiltpoker, it was a 109$ rebuy win Ipoker, but since it was the one on sunday, there were atleast enough runners to be able to be proud of it :P .

Shortly after that I went to my first live event in september 2009 at the EPT in Barcelone. With a roll nearing the 100k obviously I was not gonna play the main event, but it was a great experience nonetheless, sharing an appartment with a bunch of vampire Norwegians (they slept during daylight and woke up when it was dark :P ), Bokkie87 (team Pokerstrategy) and Yoghi (you guys probably know him, right? It is the luckbox minraising player. No seriously, also a great guy with alot of talent, but it just became a custom to call him a luckbox ><). I am still in contact with all of them.

The end of 2009 and the first couple of months of 2010 was a major buzzkill. I started to realize that college is a fulltime job, but trying to grind poker seriously is also a fulltime job. They just did not go well together. Besides that, my results in tournaments were really disappointing and my bankroll was decreasing fast. I did not go broke or anything, the last time I went broke was when I started my Dutch poker blog in august 2008, but my roll was taking huge hits. I was playing games I should not have been playing. Playing all sorts of mixed games, FLO8 and PLO (it did give me plenty of experience and as it turned out and my mixed games were getting stronger so in the end it probably was a good thing, but more on that later in this post). It was like a 60k-70k hit on a 100k roll. So that was not to good of an experience. After that I was going back to my roots and went back to crushing s&g's. That was a great idea. It pretty much always is, when you are losing, go back to games that you can beat, whether that is an entire different game, or just lower stakes. Besides that I started picking up HU s&g's with some great results and not only I was not losing anymore, I started to build my bankroll up again.

In mid 2010 I started to play PLO seriously. Although I thought I was beating the games (I actually was on Ipoker, but its a totally different game on Fulltiltpoker or Pokerstars) it was more the variance giving me that idea. I was not winning or losing, just grinding breakeven. Just for fun I wanted to take a shot on the cap PLO1k games on Fulltiltpoker with a 2k roll. If I lost that money, it was a pretty big care and who knows what would happen if I would make some money. The first month I made around $16k in PLO, awesome :P . That was when my PLO game really started to evolve and become a lot better. You really than are still not rolled for those games and I did completely blow my roll on FTP in the end because playing PLO5k with a $20k roll is also not to great of an idea ><. But I had a lot of fun with it nonetheless.

At the end of september I went to Thailand along with 4 other pokerplayers from Pokerstrategy. It was supposed to be for 3 months. We hired a villa there with 5 bedrooms, with everyone having their own bathroom, a swimmingpool, it was near the beach on Phuket in Cape Pan Wa (probably wrote it wrong :P ) put up our laptops up with a couple of external screens, had a personal chef, a sort of personal assistant and a lot more stuff. Pretty awesome. Remember playing the super tuesday in the sun near the pool and taking a swim in the break, pretty awesome :) . We met up with a couple of 2+2'ers and had a great time there. But after 1.5 month the fun was over for me, because my girlfriend wanted to break up, tough luck, just another bad beat. So I went back to Holland. After some going back and forth we finally broke up on the 20th of november. That was a saturday evening. Meaning that sunday the 21th of november I was having a pretty (to say at the least) shitty day. On the 21th of november I wanted to play some sunday majors but after I opened my first two tournaments I allready knew I should not be playing. But having opened the 250k $215 on partypoker and the sunday warmup, I should atleast keep playing those two, otherwise it would have been a little bit a waste of money.
      After quite some time I finished 14th (!) in the pratypoker 250k and I made my first six figure score in the sunday warm up:

Pretty epic :P . I seriously had the worst day of my life followed by those results. The next day I got an interview by Pokerstrategy wanting to hear my reaction to winning the sunday warmup. I explained to them that due to the break up with my girlfriend winning the sunday warmup really gave me some mixed feelings and it really felt more like a consolation prize than as a real achievement. At that time I definitely was not able to enjoy the victory.
      And at that point it got ripped out of context pretty badly since pokerstrategy posted the win with only my comment about that it felt more like a consolation prize. People thought I was being sarcastic, cocky and whatever, but everything that was really going on was not mentioned.
      Only after a couple of days I could really start to enjoy my prize.

By winning the warmup I also made the most money over the year 2010 in the sunday warmup over all the other Dutch players, which ment I also won a package to the PCA 2011. So at the start of 2011 I also went to the PCA.

I probably left out alot more results, achievements and other poker related stuff, but it is hard to put nearly 200 pages or something in 1 post :P . I know I also grinded the steps at pokerstars in 2010 and shipped some tickets there. I went to the UKIPT galway and made 2 consecutive final tables in two main event 1k€ buyin tournaments in Holland which were the first two live events I played, but I think I have managed to put alot of what I have done poker wise in this post :) .
    • Pinowww
      Pinowww
      Bronze
      After I came back from back from the PCA 2011 put some goals in my head for 2011:

1. Grinding for supernova Elite on Pokerstars
      2. Becoming player of the year on Pokertableratings for midestakes PLO
      3. Playing every SCOOP event in the SCOOP2011

First goal:

So far in 2011:

I am trying to grind 100k VPP's per month. I kinda made a slow start, since halve of january was lost due to the PCA. But It seems it should be able to make SNE at this pace.

Second goal:

Although it is not to hard to make this goal if you got enough people voting for you, I do want to try to make it by actually being the best mid stakes PLO player :P .

PLO in 2011 so far:

So the full first month I started to play was february. That month I pretty much only played PLO400 with a really nice start:

I mainly grind PLO400, PLO600, PLO1k and if there is not enough action a couple of hands PLO2k. I will probably really start grinding PLO2k at the end of this month or when there is not enough action. I am pretty much always trying to grind 12 tables.

Third goal:

The SCOOP 2011 just got out on the 9th of march. I am still planning to play every event, besides the FLHE5k event, where I would just be burning money against players that play near perfect and the 25k HU event, which is just to big for me.

First I will try to grind my way up to 100k VPP for this month before the 25th, because at the start of april I got two exams for the university, so after the 100k vpp that will be my main focus. After that I will start to really play towards the SCOOP.

That was a lot of typing to do in a couple of posts....
      I will update this blog daily, but for now I am gonna put up a twitter account and see how that works :P
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      Much of what I read in this thread is also in my mind so I wish you the best of luck sir, and be careful to not overdo it though. :P

I've also cut in many of my friends since I started investing more in my poker education and playing but I am pretty happy that I did as they were just not the friends I needed.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      :f_thumbsup:

Have fun blogging here sir , will read every post like echte hiphop :D
    • AlCaTrAzzALZ
      AlCaTrAzzALZ
      Bronze
      love reading PLO madness, will follow with interest

GL sir, sorry to hear about the bad beat with the missus, but life goes on. believe me, i know ;)
    • Pinowww
      Pinowww
      Bronze
      Started another grind for the day. Running a lil bit behind schedule for the month so I am hoping to get atleast 4k hands in today. Played 900 hands so far and up 4.7k, so thats a nice start.
      Happy there are 6 active PLO1k tables and enough PLO400 tables.
    • Ash05
      Ash05
      Global
      nice read and even nicer scores.

i want to be back at midstakes plo soon, so i will follow this blog frequently :)
      keep us updated with some crazyness and hope u will also share some hand discussion or strategy ... at least a bit ;)
    • THESHade
      THESHade
      Bronze
      Anther Dutchman on the Dope?

Epic Avatar though :D
    • Pinowww
      Pinowww
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Ash05
      nice read and even nicer scores.

i want to be back at midstakes plo soon, so i will follow this blog frequently :)
      keep us updated with some crazyness and hope u will also share some hand discussion or strategy ... at least a bit ;)
      Ty

Usually my updates contain the graph of the day with nonshowdown and showdown winnings. I try not to focus to much on my allin EV, but that is alot easier when your running hot instead of running 20k under EV :P .
      Besides that, I usually post like 3 or 4 hands a day that were played during that day and I try to respond to every post that has been made in my blog, I usually check it multiple times a day.

Originally posted by THESHade
      Anther Dutchman on the Dope?

Epic Avatar though :D
      Usually not ><

And, hell yeah, thought so too :P
    • achschelo
      achschelo
      Bronze
      Wow. Well done would be an understatement.
      :s_o:
    • Pinowww
      Pinowww
      Bronze
      Originally posted by achschelo
      Wow. Well done would be an understatement.
      :s_o:
      Thank you :)

I did allready grind 4000 hands for the day:

Normally it takes until like 17:00-18:00 depending on the action and my mood. , but I started playing like 8:45-9:00 (Dutch time => so 7:45 in the UK) this morning and I have only taken like 1 ten minute break. So I am done early for the day :) .

There really were not that many interesting hands, they were all not really that special. The more interesting spots were in the smaller pots, most of the big pots were already 4bet preflop or it just went in on the flop.

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha, $10.00 BB (2 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop | saw showdown

BB ($1203.55)
      Hero (SB) ($1306.50)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J, 10, J, K
      Hero bets $30, BB raises to $90, Hero calls $60

Flop: ($180) 2, 3, K (2 players)
      BB bets $100, Hero calls $100

Turn: ($380) J (2 players)
      BB bets $200, Hero calls $200

River: ($780) 3 (2 players)
      BB bets $779.50, Hero calls $779.50

Total pot: $2339 | Rake: $0.50
      Main pot: $2339 between BB and Hero, won by Hero

Results:
      Hero had J, 10, J, K (full house, Jacks over threes).
      BB had Q, 9, J, K (two pair, Kings and Jacks).
      Outcome: Hero won $2338.50

I decided to float the flop. I usually will not really raise these boards often, since you really do not rep a whole lot and this line is really hard to combat and to play back against.
      The turn gave me some excuse to stay in the pot. He could still be totally full of it and just going crazy with a blocker or just total air. We are headsup and where I would have given up if my hand did not improve, now it is really likely I do have the best hand.
      River is perfect and is just a snapcall. There is 34$ behind, so maybe it was stupid not to shove the rest, but he is definitely capable to fold his air since I am never bluffing there. But he could have a worse boat which he is obviously not folding.

Another headsup hand. I am not a heads up player but I do play headsup at the 6max tables to try and get some action going. Mostly it is against regs trying to do the same, although a lot of them refuse to play me :P :

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha, $10.00 BB (2 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop | saw showdown

Hero (SB) ($1121)
      BB ($1497)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8, 6, K, 6
      Hero bets $30, BB calls $20

Flop: ($60) 6, 5, 6 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $40, BB raises to $120, Hero calls $80

Turn: ($300) 7 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

River: ($300) 9 (2 players)
      BB bets $210, Hero raises to $929.50, BB calls $719.50

Total pot: $2159 | Rake: $0.50
      Main pot: $2159 between Hero and BB, won by Hero

Results:
      Hero had 8, 6, K, 6 (four of a kind, sixes).
      BB mucked A, 8, 3, 9 (straight, nine high).
      Outcome: Hero won $2158.50

In a headsup I do expect to get raised quite frequently on paired boards in PLO. Usually I combat that just by flatting with a wide range in position and playing back on the turn which would be a common line with 6xxx. In this case however I am more worried about getting action :P .
      He checks the turn and sadly enough there is really no other option than to check back with my hand. I am expecting to get 1 street of value at most. If he calls the turn he will surely fold the river and it does not really matter on what street I get my value. I am just hoping he catches some sort of boat on the river or that he bets the river out with some sort of air. In that case there is some chance I can get 2 streets of value.
      River is kinda standard in my shoes. My range really does not change that much with my betsizing, so I just pot it over his raise. He tanks and calls with a straight, awesome :P . We do have some history and I am capable to raise a nine high straight to prevent a split pot or to raise with air, but than still I really do not like his call a lot.
    • Nivlem
      Nivlem
      Silver
      Go Pinowww! :D
    • Pinowww
      Pinowww
      Bronze
      Wootwoot, just got my Twitter account going. It is still looking kinda really empty, but the account has been created :P .

Pinowwww, Remco de Vries

(four w's, the 3 w's name was taken :P )
    • THESHade
      THESHade
      Bronze
      4 k hands in PLO? Sick man, how many tables do u play?
    • TwiceT
      TwiceT
      Black
      another dutchman on dope :f_cool:

holy shit :f_biggrin:

enjoy the ride sir ;) as long as u keep playing sh on stars i wish u all the best, u can rape the fish. just stay away from my hu tables! :f_p:
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Something tells me this blogs gonna be epic.

Its the first time ive seen you around while ive been browsing but you seem like a proper sound guy, wish you all the luck with your goals and your career il be following
    • Pinowww
      Pinowww
      Bronze
      Originally posted by THESHade
      4 k hands in PLO? Sick man, how many tables do u play?
      trying to play 100k hands every month of the year :P

I found myself playing 12 tables max when I don't want to lose any winrate and with minimum time outs, because I tend to think every hand through. Every hand I play, I need like the full time before the timebank kicks in. I like to think all my lines through before clicking any buttons :P

Originally posted by TwiceT
      another dutchman on dope :f_cool:

holy shit :f_biggrin:

enjoy the ride sir ;) as long as u keep playing sh on stars i wish u all the best, u can rape the fish. just stay away from my hu tables! :f_p:
      I wish you all the best anyways and who says I can not rape the regs ;)
      You play on Stars? I know I have seen you on party

Originally posted by ExternalUseOnly
      Something tells me this blogs gonna be epic.

Its the first time ive seen you around while ive been browsing but you seem like a proper sound guy, wish you all the luck with your goals and your career il be following
      Thank you :)