cash Games-Is anyone making profit?

• sonofharris
      sonofharris
      Bronze
      When playing cash games I generally do a search on the competition, maybe to check if they are multi-table players, which most of them generally are. So here is the question.
      How come I rarely find anyone in profit?, they could be playing up to sixteen tables for example, you know what I mean.
      So what is the incentive?, granted if youre playing one table it maybe just for the fun of it, but not multiple tables surely.
      Is it the rakeback?
      Even when you do find someone in profit, it is generally a mere pittance, so what is going on,
      Can someone educate me on these matters I would greatly appreciate it.
      My findings are from player search, in poker edge.
  • 8 replies
    • lsobr
      lsobr
      Basic
      I guess this thread is in the wrong section :P

Still, i think most of those people you are looking for probably think they can play all those tables and win, but they can't - that is it. Other may be loosing money at that time you looked - in a downswing and all - but they probably make money on the long run.

And in some games, playing 16 tables can generate a very good rake.

I prefer playing 2 tables-max, because i really believe you can make profit from those multi-table players. They tend to play like bots, doing basically the same things everytime. You can take advantage of that. I always look people saying that 1BB/100 hands on Limit is fine, and that 3 or 4BB/100 hands is very good. I make a lot more playing less tables - my winrate increases a lot when playing only one or two tables.
    • sonofharris
      sonofharris
      Bronze
      Thanx for that, very informative. Generally their roi can be indicated for a period of twelve months at least, which is often minus.
    • TiciBoy
      TiciBoy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lsobr
      I make a lot more playing less tables - my winrate increases a lot when playing only one or two tables.
      It is not all about winrate (bb/100 hands)...people who multitable is usually doing so to increase profit (bb/hour).

for example: Let's stick to limit since you mentioned it... If you play 2 tables and have a winrate 10BB/100 hands and you play 100 hands/hour on one table, you will win 20BB/hour. If you play 16 tables and have a winrate of 3BB and play 100 hands/hour on one table, you will make 48BB/hour. So your winrate will be lower, but you will be making more money.

Ofcourse you have to find how many tables you are comfortable playing, so your winrate doesn't drop too much (and you eventually start loosing money).
    • sonofharris
      sonofharris
      Bronze
      Sorry I never referred to limit but I was referring to nl.
      You dont need to express elements of bb per hour etc. we are entirely focusing on the roi or profit, and I rarely see any body with it, I have searched hundreds of players in the micro stakes in many poker rooms and the indications in poker edge are very clear and accurate.
    • sonofharris
      sonofharris
      Bronze
      So the rackeback must be the answer or something more sinister...?
    • Targetme
      Targetme
      Bronze
      not many winning players
    • sonofharris
      sonofharris
      Bronze
      Well that is my findings dont think it is 10% or so what some say, but someone with diamond status just may have the answer?
    • pokerprons
      pokerprons
      Bronze
      well how do u expect to see a big profit at the micro stakes? usually when people crush the limit they move up. The rest of the players that stay on the micro limit either cant play and lose money or have small bb/100 and try to grind enough money to move up. And yes, rake back helps of course.