folding top pair mss

    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Joined: 31.12.2010 Posts: 4,289
      Hello everyone :P

      been getting my head into mss strat, am I right in reading that I should fold a top pair if my opponent bets ?

      Just reread the strat if I have top pair with at least jack kicker then I should play it, but does that make it a monster on a dry board??

      also can someone please define a monster? tpgk and up????

      Thanks

      Roo
  • 9 replies
    • valdestrijus
      valdestrijus
      Bronze
      Joined: 27.03.2010 Posts: 2
      It depends from your opponent sometimes your TPGK is a good made hand against loose opponents who shows 0 aggression or just flats, sometimes it is bad idea to play a hand with just TPGK. You should never fold TPGK when opponent opening is light, but this is not a monster, keep in mind that and don't do fancy moves.
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Joined: 31.12.2010 Posts: 4,289
      Originally posted by valdestrijus
      It depends from your opponent sometimes your TPGK is a good made hand against loose opponents who shows 0 aggression or just flats, sometimes it is bad idea to play a hand with just TPGK. You should never fold TPGK when opponent opening is light, but this is not a monster, keep in mind that and don't do fancy moves.
      thanks!! is two pair and up a monster?

      Do we fold top pair because of the type of hands we are playing and raising..reraising, as it would prob be a strong hand against us to have called the raise or reraise?

      I would really love someone from the site to explain the whole top pair play in a bit more detail
    • GreenEggs
      GreenEggs
      Bronze
      Joined: 27.03.2009 Posts: 7
      yes, I am also not so clear. Like yesterday -- I had KK on the flop and the flop was 3 aces. Although I had a full-house ( a monster hand, right?), I bluffed once and then folded it when my opponent called and raised.
      Is that the right choice? There is only one card in the deck which can beat me...yet my opponent probably has it!
      Advice, please!
    • JHTAN
      JHTAN
      Bronze
      Joined: 10.07.2010 Posts: 1,331
      Originally posted by GreenEggs
      yes, I am also not so clear. Like yesterday -- I had KK on the flop and the flop was 3 aces. Although I had a full-house ( a monster hand, right?), I bluffed once and then folded it when my opponent called and raised.
      Is that the right choice? There is only one card in the deck which can beat me...yet my opponent probably has it!
      Advice, please!
      I will never fold it with 100bb or less. It will be very unlikely he has the ace. May be he has pocket pairs.
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Joined: 31.12.2010 Posts: 4,289
      Originally posted by GreenEggs
      yes, I am also not so clear. Like yesterday -- I had KK on the flop and the flop was 3 aces. Although I had a full-house ( a monster hand, right?), I bluffed once and then folded it when my opponent called and raised.
      Is that the right choice? There is only one card in the deck which can beat me...yet my opponent probably has it!
      Advice, please!
      Hi On the strategy it says ( I found it between two redlines in "playing after the flop") two pair and upwards is a monster but watch for two pairs on the board if your playing two pairs as there could be a set there. Hope this helps :P
    • kazediel
      kazediel
      Bronze
      Joined: 29.11.2009 Posts: 5,259
      I think that the most hard spot in MSS is when you have a hand like QJ in a Q84 rainbow like flop, and villian, a regular, raises your Cbet. It's not like you can sistematically fold, but you're gonna be beat lots of times and can't play bet/borke

      However, call is not much better since after a raise, it is completely impossible to pot control.
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      Joined: 11.03.2010 Posts: 741
      You cannot exactly define a monster hand. Sometimes a full house is trash, and sometime two pair is a monster. For example, if you have 88 on 899KK board, your full house is useless as you beat only bluff. But if you have QT on QT7r board you definitely have a monster you want to end up all-in with.
    • pokerkingspades
      pokerkingspades
      Basic
      Joined: 07.12.2010 Posts: 12
      Originally posted by Bliausmas
      You cannot exactly define a monster hand. Sometimes a full house is trash, and sometime two pair is a monster. For example, if you have 88 on 899KK board, your full house is useless as you beat only bluff. But if you have QT on QT7r board you definitely have a monster you want to end up all-in with.
      +1
    • intercect
      intercect
      Bronze
      Joined: 01.10.2010 Posts: 1,122
      Originally posted by GreenEggs
      yes, I am also not so clear. Like yesterday -- I had KK on the flop and the flop was 3 aces. Although I had a full-house ( a monster hand, right?), I bluffed once and then folded it when my opponent called and raised.
      Is that the right choice? There is only one card in the deck which can beat me...yet my opponent probably has it!
      Advice, please!
      That's just crazy. :o

      Wich levels are you playing on?, it seems like you are playing with scared money for now.