Heads Up

• samlar
      samlar
      Bronze
      I need help with Heads up play, should I be looking at the NL Heads up articles in NL BSS? or are there any tips out there?

I play quite well when it is in the Push or Fold stage but when I'm above 12bb I am a bit lost.

I am on $1 SNG's. I find that I'm either playing too tight and folding too many hands or too loose and I keep getting beat? can't find the in between...
  • 2 replies
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Usually open a wide range from the small blind. When you have under 25 bb, make a smaller open raise, and tend to have a slightly tighter opening range against a player who knows to resteal. With deeper stacks, usually open T5o, 84s and anything better.

If you get flat-called, usually make a continuation bet, but not always. If your continuation bet gets called, don't assume your opponent has top pair, since when you are heads up you play many hands which can hit bottom pair or straight draws on low boards.

It is reasonable for you to open-raise or fold, without ever open-limping. However, your opponents will open-limp often. You can check to see some flops, but you should also attack many of their limps, say with the top 1/3 of hands, and by betting into them or check-raising some of the time when you don't hit the flop.

If your opponent raises often, as is correct, then you should not be too tight when restealing or calling all-in. In general, most opponents raise too tightly so that you should not call with the weaker hands in the Nash calling range.
    • samlar
      samlar
      Bronze
      thank you, this was very helpful.