first post + slightly amusing story

• saxtino
      saxtino
      Bronze
      I have recently been introduced to this forum through the strategy articles, and have found them very helpful. I thought that I would put a couple of beginner questions in my first thread.

1) I've settled on small sit n go's as somewhere I can make money (been grinding freerolls on multiple websites just to gain some bankroll). The reason for this is because at cash games everybody seems to have a grasp of basic strategy, and plays quite tight with only prenium hands. I've tried to loosen up as a result, but it just means that someone beats my marginal hand with a prenium one, as with ten players somebody usually has something. How do you guys earn profit on tables like this one?

2) I have tried about 12 different poker websites, and my favourites so far have been PokerStars, FullTilt and to some extent PartyPoker. I have also been using DevilFish because it doesn't require download. This site isn't on your boards, and I was curious as to why? Is it untrustworthy? It's small but seems to have a few good freerolls and the interface is quick and easy. I like it a lot.

I hope to be posting here more often once I've gained a big enough sample size of hand histories for evaluation, I am ready to improve.

Amusing story: I have been recently playing DoN SNGs. In case you're not familiar with the format, top half get double the buy-in, bottom half don't. Doesn't matter if you're first or third. I've been able to make a profit off these because everybody plays incredibly tight (understandably) so I can play loosely and amass chips to burst the bubble so the folders battle it out later on. If people play loose, I can tighten up and wait it out.

On one of these, the bubble burst and we were all in the money. As usual, i started going all-in on every hand as it didn't matter anymore. Confused because others weren't following suit. Maybe they wanted to try and win for fun? I watched as I stole blinds, and then sucked out on about three hands where the other player had a better hand. (10 2 versus KK was one I believe). Then I looked at the top bar, and realised. I had been playing a sit and go. Still 2 other players left, but I had just gained a massive chip lead. I won the tourney after that. Moral of the story? No idea.
  • 3 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by saxtino
      but it just means that someone beats my marginal hand with a prenium one, as with ten players somebody usually has something. How do you guys earn profit on tables like this one?
      I don't.
      If the table is way too tight, you might be able to steal blinds, but if you can't win at a table, just move on.

You say, "as with ten players somebody usually has something" -- are there a lot of limpers? If so, sit back and relax and wait for a premium, and raise it 4BB + 1BB per limper and hope to drive (almost) everyone out of the pot. If you're playing AA or KK against 4 others, you're down to about 50-50 to win it. Yuk.

You'll read here somewhere that if a table is too loose, tighten up, and if it is too tight loosen up.

OTOH, if the table just plain sux, get up.

Cheers,
      --V
    • saxtino
      saxtino
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F

If the table is way too tight, you might be able to steal blinds, but if you can't win at a table, just move on.

You'll read here somewhere that if a table is too loose, tighten up, and if it is too tight loosen up.

OTOH, if the table just plain sux, get up.

Cheers,
      --V
      I agree, it's probably easier just to not play and wait for a looser table. I feel a contradiction here though, as I want to loosen up but won't win any pots unless I have premium hands or flop the nuts.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by saxtino
      ... as I want to loosen up but won't win any pots unless I have premium hands or flop the nuts.
      Only if you get called.
      The essence of blind stealing is:
      --you are in the CO, BU or SB positions
      --you are first in.
      Check out the Bronze strategy articles under short stack strategy that detail a Mid Stack Strategy for some excellent guidelines and starting hands charts.

Do you run a HUD? If not, check them out. Holdem Manager, PokerTracker and PokerStrategy's own Elephant all have free trials.

Try to find tables where the two positions to your left are real tight. You can often steal the blinds at least once each orbit. If you get resistance and you have a less-than-premium hand then you can decide to see a flop or just give it up.

Some other things that may help:
      --Rarely open limp. If it is worth a shot at playing, it is almost always worth a shot at raising. Limp only for strategic purposes (see strategy articles).
      --Now that you're the open raiser, fire a continuation bet unless the flop is bizarrely bad, in which case ask yourself why you were in the pot in the first place.

You may be surprised how often the table folds when you open 4BB from mid-late position. Then, if somebody calls you, it may surprise you how often they fold to the CBet. Pick your spots carefully, and use hands from the starting hands charts without deviation until you get the hang of it.

For the next week or so, play only two tables on one half of your screen, and in the other half read all of the bronze big stack strategy articles.

--V