This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Motivation to play

• Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      Just wondering how all you semi-pro/professional players out there motivate yourselfs to put in ~100 hours a month or whatever..

and obviously everybody is welcome to answer how they motivate themselves to put in volume..

Volume goals?
      Volume prob bets??
      The money motivates you??

I'm kinda in a dilemma.. I want to play cuz I'll be happy about the money I'll get.. But on the other hand I've kinda disconnected myself from the money I make playing poker to dodge tilt and what not.. So the money doesn't really seem to motivate myself enough atm at least.. Maybe I should do a withdrawal and do some balla shit just to remind me it's real money :)

Volume prob bets just put me under unwanted pressure and I've already failed one of those for $50...

Volume goals don't seem to work at all.. since I've failed them so often they don't feel like a real goal anymore...
  • 2 replies
    • Kodark
      Kodark
      Bronze
      rewatch rounders.
      watch Deal (2008)
      watch tv while you play (can be bad idea)
      watch poker after dark/ high stakes poker while you play.
    • Kodark
      Kodark
      Bronze
      on a more serious note it is hard i know what you mean. Even playing RUSH gets boring as you are just mindlessly folding hands until you get something decent. Usually i do this in such a trans i end up folding low pocket pairs because i see the 6 come down and just click quickfold as the other 6 appears :/

I dont know how to get more motived to play. taking a break from the computer and reading a poker book could help weather its in the bath or outside in the sun.

Doing non poker related stuff can be good too. Just chill for a few days dont play at all even if you get a small temptation to. By the time you have stopped for 3-4 days you will be dying to have a monster session again.