new skeptic on board

• belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Hi, folks. I'm a Canadian citizen and resident who currently plays 4NL on Party. So far I have about 6K hands and am in the middle of a 12-buyin downswing over 2K hands. Before that I was in the middle of an 8-buyin upswing over 4K hands. Variance is a pregnant female dog.

I actually found this site while googling the phrase "downswing following cashout" because my downswing started immediately after I tested my new Party Cashier MasterCard by transferring 5% of my bankroll to it. What the search led me to was a 2009 thread in which one member kept insisting that poker sites do tweak their software to make improbable beats happen. The established members were taking the usual line: "we must believe in the sunshiny goodness and angelic purity of poker sites because PokerStrategy is affiliated with poker sites." I found the whole thing rather comical. You're not going to get biased people to publicly admit to their bias and harm their self-interest in the process. So don't expect me to start or participate in any "poker is rigged" discussions here--it would be a total waste of time.

What I do hope to accomplish here is read some articles, watch some videos, participate in some discussions and generally put in some quality time for the 33% tranche of study recommended for serious poker players. It looks like a quality site and I'm happy to add it to the list of places I spend some of my poker education time.

See you on the forum!
  • 8 replies
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi belayd and welcome to our community!

I am thrilled to read your feedback and looking forward to follow you on the forum further on. Thankfully we have a friendly group of players participating daily in different discussions and sharing experiences. The more you talk about your game and ask questions the more we can help you out.

Have passed the quiz yet?

If you have additional questions or not quite find your way around yet, please do let us know.

Ingrid
    • Krizzjaa
      Krizzjaa
      Bronze
      I don't want to be harsh, but I don't believe your on a downswing if your still believing such crap, like poker sites intentionally give you bad beats w/e.
      So keep playing until you master the fundamentals
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Thanks for the welcome, Ingrid. BTW, I chose the full Java editor and got an application script error warning. Java was very slow to load. You might want to have your tech check the WYSIWYG editor code.

I haven't taken the quiz yet but am looking forward to taking it.

See you on the forum!
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi belayd,

I will of course forward your feedback.

Take as much time as you need and keep me posted about your quiz results =) . Our strategy articles will help you in many ways.

As always, if a question arise don't hesitate to ask.

Ingrid
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      The WYSIWYG editor is seriously screwed up. Now it just reproduces the bottom buttons all over the screen the second time I run it. It won't even let me enter text. Let me know whether I need to use compatibility mode (I use Win 7 64-bit but run the 32-bit version of IE8).

I read the first article and took the pop quizzes and got 1 question out of 10 or 12 wrong. Today I'll read the other basic articles and see whether I'm ready to take the basic test. But since I already have accounts on my three chosen poker sites and have deposited on them, I'm not eligible for the starting capital, so taking the test isn't a priority.
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi belayd,

Regarding your note on the free $50 starting capital. I have checked your account and seems that you've forgotten one more poker room where we offer the free starting capital.

Currently PartyPoker, Cake Poker, Full Tilt and William Hill's are the 4 Poker room where you can request your starting capital. You can read more information here.

Please let me know if you would need more information on this.
      Ingrid
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Cake has never appealed to me, but I'd be interested in trying William Hill's provided that they accept prepaid MasterCard deposits. Mind if I ask about William Hill on the forum to get feedback from players who play there?
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi belayd,

I even encourage you to do so =)

The more you ask the better we can help you and share the knowledge with the other community members.

Here is the link to William Hill's forum thread.

Ingrid