2 preflop plays to ponder

• lynius
      lynius
      Bronze
      Hey all, I have two hands to ask about. Neither of them are particularly special, and I'm thinking I played them right - what do you guys think?

$0.05/$0.1 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T, J.
      MP1 folds, MP2 raises, 4 folds, BB calls.

Now for this hand, the SHC says to fold if all other opponents fold and to call if another player calls the raise. I was straight to the left of the raiser, and thought I may as well fold the hand in middle position.

$0.05/$0.1 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q, K.
      UTG1 calls, UTG2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, 2 folds, Hero calls, BB checks.

In this hand, the SHC says I should go on raising, but with 3 players already in and a BB left to act, I thought I'd be best calling from my SB and laying it down if the flop misses.
  • 2 replies
    • terpesheva
      terpesheva
      Bronze
      Hello Lynius.
      Im currently working on my preflop so I though Ill share a few thoughts.

Playing according to charts is a good guidance for a beginner but there are other factors to consider:
      Try and base the preflop decisions on opponents' types, hand types, position as well as the charts.
      Not playing according to charts is likely to increase your variance and does not guarantee better winnings but its the only way to practice and learn how to play marginal hands=)

Hand one:
      This hand has a good playability in a family pot but is rather weak HU (40% against loose ranges, but considering a raise from MP2 you're more likely to be a 2 to 1 dog).
      Even if players after you are very loose, you will only get position on the raiser and on blinds, who might check/raise MP2 anyway if they hit. You should try and play marginal hands when you have position because they are less profitable otherwise.

Unless MP2 is a completely loose fish or a maniac and opponents behind you are rocks or tight-passives, Id fold the hand. Too much gambling.

Hand 2:

You have 3 limpers and your hand is decent in HU and decentish in a family pot. By raising you want to:
      1) Try to kick the BB out of hand. Unlikely that he'll fold though because of the odds.
      2) Get the money into the pot. There were no raises so you are not likely to face strong hands. You are likely to end up with decent equity on flop.
      3) Get initiative and indicate a strong hand -> get more folding equity on later streets.

By calling you:
      1) Reduce variance by avoiding gambling.
      2) face a clear decision on flop: jam with monster and fold trash.
      3) potentially reduce your winnings =(

Oh, and you're in SB so you gonna be completely OOP and that's a disadvantage. Calling is not a crime here imho =)
    • cataah
      cataah
      Bronze
      KQ hand IMO it's a raise
      you have a strong hand and you dominate theyr ranges. And because you are oop you should raise to get the initiative
      ... IMO :)