Ace King hand

• PaTaPaTaPoNn
      PaTaPaTaPoNn
      Bronze
      Hey guys
      I'm in online poker scene for about 2 years (newbie here) and is on FTP NL10 now. I have question about Ace King hand.

If I'm holding AK on late position, one people open raising with 3 bets then another guy reraise it, what should I do?
  • 11 replies
    • LONGPLAY66
      LONGPLAY66
      Bronze
      if you are an aggressive player you can re raise all in pre flop..the first guy can be raising with nothing and the 2nd guy can be re raising with hands like aq ,aj suited, 99 ,10 10 and if hes a good player he can fold to your push, and if he calls then you're either well ahead of his aq/aj or you are basically flipping.....if you are a safety first player you can just flat call pre and when you miss the flop and one of the other guys bets strongly you can convince yourself they were dealt a pair or hit the flop and you can fold without too heavy damage.
    • sindeon
      sindeon
      Bronze
      Hi,

im also interested in any advice from skilled player on this situation.

That is always tough decision, but in most situation I simply reraise them (which in this situation it means go all-in). I think it´s alright according to MSS 3-betting chart. ;) Just checked my HEM for stats in this concrete situation and im in pfrofit (but sample is ridiculous - one hand :D ). Overall I play AK agresively and Im in profit (45/3500 hands makes me +270 BB/100h).

Cheers,
      Ondra
    • clawindsouza
      clawindsouza
      Bronze
      im assuming u play bss...if yes then i would fold..
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      I'd fold it to 4bet, but probably never to 3bet (I play 6max), unless the 3bettor is a nit, or at least very straightforward player with low 3bet%.
    • PaTaPaTaPoNn
      PaTaPaTaPoNn
      Bronze
      Yup I'm playing BBS
      so why should I fold ?
    • clawindsouza
      clawindsouza
      Bronze
      by BSS i mean 100bb...and i play FR....i like to fold it coz its really hard to play post flop...i prefer to play it with initiative...

Plus the original raiser still has to act....
    • racenutalways
      racenutalways
      Bronze
      All situations have different variables, it depends on the style of the players. AK is a chasing hand and you need to hit to win. Tournies I insta shove here. 6max cash I'm always 4 betting here. Full Ring cash not so much.

I'm folding AKo 90% there and shove maybe 5%. I don't want to be known as nit to regs so I like to 4bet shove light to them. AKs I shove about 20% of the time, I 4bet 40%, not too big to see how the original raiser plays it. If he flats we know he has pair 88-QQ, we're holding AK making it less likely he has AA KK. He may be holding S-Conn 78+, If he plays back, I'd run. :f_confused: The 3 bettor will always flat call here 90% of the time and reraising big pairs.
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Surely it just depends on villains ranges... If the open raiser is opening pairs, broadways and sc's then he'll likely fold so what's the 3 bettors range? If he's 3-betting JJ+, AJs+, AQ+ and only getting all in with AKs, AA, KK, QQ then we can 4-bet and fold to a shove. If he flats we're either miles ahead or flipping and can be confident if we hit TPTK.

If the 3-bettor is getting it in with his whole 3-bet range (as stated above) as some fishy's do then we can ship it. Similarly, if the 3-bettor is only 3-betting huge hands as some do then it's an easy fold.
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Wurble
      Surely it just depends on villains ranges... If the open raiser is opening pairs, broadways and sc's then he'll likely fold so what's the 3 bettors range? If he's 3-betting JJ+, AJs+, AQ+ and only getting all in with AKs, AA, KK, QQ then we can 4-bet and fold to a shove. If he flats we're either miles ahead or flipping and can be confident if we hit TPTK.

If the 3-bettor is getting it in with his whole 3-bet range (as stated above) as some fishy's do then we can ship it. Similarly, if the 3-bettor is only 3-betting huge hands as some do then it's an easy fold.
      4bet bluff with AK? That's not good at all imho. Even 92o would be way better to bluff with, at least he won't have that hand dominated.
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Originally posted by Bliausmas

4bet bluff with AK? That's not good at all imho. Even 92o would be way better to bluff with, at least he won't have that hand dominated.
      So, what you're folding or shoving? Wouldn't the times we fold out the weaker parts of his range make up for the times we have to fold? The way I see it, if we flat then we don't know where we are on the flop if we hit and when we shove we isolate ourselves against hands that have us crushed?

Not trying to claim I know best like, if I'm wrong I'd much rather know!
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Bliausmas

So, what you're folding or shoving? Wouldn't the times we fold out the weaker parts of his range make up for the times we have to fold? The way I see it, if we flat then we don't know where we are on the flop if we hit and when we shove we isolate ourselves against hands that have us crushed?

Not trying to claim I know best like, if I'm wrong I'd much rather know!
      I'm not an expert myself but imho your best action depends very much from opponents. There are such nits that even folding AK to their 3bet is normal. There are such maniacs that stacking off with AK is super easy insta-decision. There are some tricky but cautious players who 3bet bluff often, and would fold their 3bet to 4bet/shove, but can be outplayed postflop, so the call would be the best option. Against an unknown it's very nasty spot though.
      But 4bet/folding is basically a bluff, isn't it? You don't expect for him to call your 4bet with worse. Therefore I'd like to at least call if not fold, and bluff rather with trash hands (polarizing 4bet range).