Pocket picking poker

• Fagin
      It was suggested a while back by one of the mods that I start a blog because apparently I write well ?(

I have been thinking about it for a while and have decided to give it a whirl as they say.

So this is Fagin's blog.

I have no idea where it will go or where it will end but looking at the last dozen or so posts of mine on the forum I reckon they were probably mostly better suited to a blog - so here I am.

Most blogs seem to begin with the usual bio - not mine. If you really - and I mean REALLY feel the need to know where and when I went to pre-school then I suggest you go donk off a stack or two - you will learn far more that way - trust me I've been there I know.

Tonight I played a donk fest in my local pub. Two tourneys played with such aggressive blind levels that they each end within 2.5 hours. The first one I am sat with a TAG to my right (great guy who I enjoy playing aginst) and some MEGA DONKS to my left. we are on the 4th level and the TAG to my right raises to 4x pre. I look down at KK and regretfully raise enough to put him all in. Regretfully because he is a good mate and I know that not only am I way ahead but also that he will probably be priced in to call.

One of the DONKs re-raises and my m8 calls the 3bet - I shove and get called by the DONK. My KK is up against the Js 10s of my m8 and 4d 2d of the DONK. Guess who hits a :diamond: flush on the river???

Not me of course, 4 2 SUITED is obviously such a premium hand lol, so I have to wait for the 2nd tourney. This proves to be one where my hands hold up more than 20% of the time and I bluff my way to FT. There I manage to get to 4 ways and am told by one of the other players that he dislikes my aggression. LMAO - I am loving this, so I push it up a notch or two and win the tourney LOL.

For my reward ????

A drink of my choice - I am truly a high stakes player - well maybe one day lol.

That is quite enough for now.

Back with more another time.

• 26 replies
    • Fagin
      So here I am back again with more to say. For those who read a previous thread of mine "Weird software issues" I am still unable to play at WH. The weird issues remain and according to WH they have forwarded the screenshots I sent to iPoker and they have never heard of anything like this before.

"Thank you for your email.

We have reported the issues in question to Ipoker for investigation, however they have advised this is something that has never been come across with the software. They have requested the following:

We can see from the screenshots the player is running pokertracker3, please check with the player if the issue still occurs when not running any other 3rd party software such as pokertracker3 and advise us accordingly.

Please try and use the software without pokertracker3 and advise us if this assists with the issue."

Well of course I have been trying to use WH daily and as I have been expecting issues I have not bothered to open PT3 first. ........ The issues remain of course.

I have been playing with a few $s that I have left on 888 - love most of the new site. The tourney lobbies are excellent and the player notes facilities are great. Just one issue here ..... how does anybody ever manage to play more than 4 tables on this site???????

I played 4 tables last night and lost patience with the software very quickly. I play on a laptop and have the 4 tables spaced as far apart as possible - each one aligned with a corner of the screen. When i get dealt a hand the table pops up above the active table ??? When I post a blind the table pops up above the active table ?????? When a pre-selected action is being performed on a table (fold or check for example) that table pops up above the active table ????????

There is just no table queing system at all - and they used to have an excellent system back a year ago - I know as I used to play 8 tables there at NL20 !!!

Still I am off to Coventry this weekend to play in the APAT English Championship. £75 buy in, 10k starting stack and 45 min clock. I expect 150 runners and the winner gets a UKIPT seat on top of the prize money.

Wish me luck

• stephener
      nice one
    • belayd
      I do wish you luck, fagin! :) Your blog is inspiring.

If you were ever a losing player, please post some of your losing experiences and how you turned things around. I'm guessing that signing up for PS had a lot to do with it. ;)
    • Fagin
      Some news in the saga of Fagin vs WH software !!!

I remembered that I have a few pence on Titan so I opened it up and guess what ???? It worked fine !!!

That tells me that the issue is with WH's side of the software not iPoker itself. It would also suggest that the issue is not to do with my laptop. Naturally I have sent this latest piece of info to WH.

@ stephener - thanks. Good to know that my ramblings are considered worthwhile reading - or is that stretching things a bit lol

@ belayd - every poker player was once a losing player, even me, (some have been losing players a few times lol), and besides, who said I'm not a losing player now ?? My green line is on a downward tack just now so if we look at this weeks results alone then I must be a losing player, (at least this week anyway lol)

Hold that thought and I will come back to that subject another time. I just wanted to log the update on the software issue tonight.

Cheers for now.

• Fagin
      Update from Coventry now I finally got this wi-fi to work.

Started out really well (up to 16k in the first orbit), got up to about 24k after 2 levels then had what turned out to be one of those defining moments in a tourney (that you never quite realise until later).

Player 3 seats to my right started out fairly quiet and has raised a couple of times on my blind and I have folded. This time round it is folded to him. Blinds are 75/150 and he puts in a standard raise for the table to 550. I look down at AJs in the sb and 3 bet to 1575. He thinks for a while and flat calls. Board comes 10 10 7 r and I c-bet 1850. He thinks and calls. Turn is a 4. I bet 2400 and he calls. River is A. I bet out 3800 and he shoves for another 6350. I tank and eventually say nh and fold. He later says he had AA. In hindsight I probably should have called as having nearly 10k invested in the pot I would have been left with about 5k if I call and lose and a huge stack if I call and win. I was left with about 11k and never really got going again after that.

Ended up about 5 hours later shoving 7bb utg with 10 :spade: J :spade: having been card dead for over 2 hours. It gets all the way to the bb who insta calls with his HUGE 10.5bb stack and flips over Q :spade: 9 :spade: . Neither of us hit and Q high wins. GG

• Fagin
      Ok, so after far too long I have come back to my own space to put some of my less incoherent thoughts down for others to peruse.

Poker wise I am back to basics, playing NL2 on 888 and making a slow but steady profit. I'm not getting in any significant volume due to other constraints on my time but I am still enjoying the game and that is the important thing. I recently had a 2 week break, no computer, no phone and no poker at all. I came back refreshed and thinking more clearly and that showed in my BB/100.

August - 4K hands => 4.24 BB/100

Sept - 8K hands => 8.98 BB/100

October - 4K hands => 10.58 BB/100 (the last 2 days of the month after I got back showed 1K hands at 25BB/100)

So far in Nov 1.5K hands => 11.87 BB/100

I will probably start taking some shots at NL6 soon as there are very few NL6 tables and not very many NL10 tables. I was beating that about a year ago so hope to move up as my BR allows.

I've not played any tournaments in the last couple of months but hope to find the time to play some over the next few weeks as I was doing well in these previously.

Outside of poker things are getting better. I got married during the 2 week break and together we have set some realistic and achievable goals for the next few years. This has helped to motivate us both and working towards shared goals has helped to improve my focus not just in life but also on the poker table.

Now that the last few hectic months are behind me I hope to write in here more regularly and update my progress in both poker and life.

888 BR = $102.92

Cheers for now.
    • Fagin
      Well I said I might play a tourney or 2 and I had an evening off so played the World Cup on 888. $1.99 entry and 30% of the prizepool gets split amongst the top 3 teams.

I cashed in 4th for $33.64 and my team (Ireland of course) came 3rd netting me another $4. :s_cool:

Glad I decided to play!
    • Fagin
      Went to a party at a friends place over the weekend. It was to celebrate my wedding (I got married 2 weeks ago in Kenya). We all had a great evening with fireworks, food, alcohol and of course POKER!

My new wife and I met at a poker table so any party to celebrate our wedding had to involve poker.

A great bunch of poker playing friends turned up and we ended up with 11 players in the cash game. We started at about 20:00 and I went to bed at 04:15 having been up for 23 hours (I had been to work that morning and not had a chance for a nap). I dropped about £30 (it was £5 for 5000 chips and 50/100 blinds) mainly thanks to the following hand :-

Blinds 50/100 with a 200 straddle about 50% of hands and the occaisional double straddle to 400.

Stacks -

UTG+2 >200 bb

MP2 > 200 bb

BU (Me) > 200 bb

Hand -

UTG+2 (solid player, gets you thinking, .... lots), Raise to 1,500, MP2 (my new wife) call, Me (K :spade: , K :heart:) Raise to 4,500 :s_cool: , UTG+2 call, MP2 call.

Flop - K :diamond: Q :club: 6 :diamond:

Check check Me bet 6,000 :s_cool: , UTG+2 shove :s_biggrin: , MP2 fold, I'm always calling .

He turns over J :diamond: 10 :diamond: and of course the 8 :diamond: came on the turn and the river was some huge brick that failed to pair the board and a 450+ bb (£45+) pot went to the wrong end of the table. Sort of defined my luck on the table that night but had a ball anyway and that is by far the most important thing.

Between my wife and myself we dropped about £10 and had a great night that we will be remembering fondly for years to come.

HUGE THANKS to Trace, Dave, and Emms for all your efforts, and to everybody else who came along and helped to make it a great night just by being there for us.
    • Fagin
      Well I've started taking a few shots at NL6. Just replacing a NL2 table with a NL6 one (usually plying 4 tables) and after a few early misreads things are going ok.

Play seems much the same except for more donk bets and a few C-C, C-C, shove, type lines. These mainly drop my red line a little but that is not something I am going to worry about for a while.

Had a pleasant suprise when I logged on on Monday after not playing for the weekend. A little message from 888 to let me know that my team had won the World Cup on Fri (I got well and truly donked out just short of the money) and that my share was just over $11. Every little helps :f_biggrin:

Not playing every day now and seeing some benefits of that. Dropped about 6 BI on Fri with some bad play and worse calls. Back with a vengence today though :s_cool:

BR now - $156.38

GL at the tables
    • Fagin
      Just thought I'd post a hand or 2 from today -

Pacific Poker - $0.06 NL - Holdem - 7 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

BTN: $3.88
      SB: $6.26
      BB: $8.58
      UTG: $7.06
      UTG+1: $6.59
      Hero (MP): $6.01
      CO: $6.00

SB posts SB $0.03, BB posts BB $0.06, CO posts DB $0.06

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has K:spade: Q:club:

fold, UTG+1 calls $0.06, Hero calls $0.06, CO checks, fold, SB calls $0.03, BB checks

UTG+1 has so far played like a rock and I am suspicious of the limp so, rather than raising as I would normally, I decide to flat call here.I am thinking he has AQ+, 99+ - in that sort of range anyway.

Flop: ($0.30, 5 players) 6:spade: T:heart: J:heart:
      SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 bets $0.36, Hero calls $0.36, fold, fold, fold

I like th flop but am wary of the hearts. His bet looks too big so I decide to call with my OESD. At this point I put him on QQ+ AhQh+. If the turn bricks or a heart comes and he bets big I can get away fairly easily.

Turn: ($1.02, 2 players) 9:spade:
      UTG+1 bets $0.76, Hero raises to $2.19, UTG+1 raises to $3.62, Hero raises to $5.59, UTG+1 calls $1.97

The perfect turn card hits and now its just a matter of how to get all the money and he obliges nicely. As he bets I am sure I am ahead so lets go!!

River: ($12.20, 2 players) K:diamond:

A hand that I enjoyed a little more -

Pacific Poker - $0.06 NL - Holdem - 7 players

UTG+1: $5.14
      MP: $5.39
      CO: $8.67
      BTN: $6.00
      SB: $2.31
      Hero (BB): $5.19
      UTG: $4.59

SB posts SB $0.03, Hero posts BB $0.06

Pre Flop: ($0.09) Hero has 7:heart: 5:heart:

fold, UTG+1 calls $0.06, fold, CO raises to $0.12, fold, SB calls $0.09, Hero calls $0.06, UTG+1 calls $0.06

I hate having my bb min raised and with a hand that I can get away from easily if I miss the flop I decide to call.

Flop: ($0.48, 4 players) 6:heart: 8:heart: 9:spade:
      SB bets $0.06, Hero raises to $0.24, UTG+1 raises to $1.02, fold, fold, Hero raises to $2.64, UTG+1 raises to $5.02, Hero calls $2.38

A lovely flop for me. The SB leads out and I decided to raise as I wanted to build a pot ASAP here. UTG+1's 3bet was a suprise but a welcome one. He is a Laggy player who tends to be fairly passive post flop. I can't put him on 10 7 so figure I am ahead and 4bet. He shoves and I am never folding now.

I am thinking I am against possibly a set, or 2 pair or an OESD if he has maybe A7 or maybe the FD.

Turn: ($10.58, 2 players) 5:spade:

River: ($10.58, 2 players) 3:diamond:

Thats it for now - more another time.

Feel free to comment on the hands, particularly if you prefer them played differently.
    • Fagin
      Decided to play the World Cup on 888 again tonight. Ran reasonably well, got my chips in with the best of it most of the time and eventually ran out 3rd for $43.66. My team also won the team side of it which got me another $11.14 for a total return of $54.80 from my $1.99 investment (I didn't rebuy at all). :s_cool:

Having just doubled up the shortie, (the player to my left) the final hand for me was -

Pacific Poker - $1.80+$0.19|3500/7000 NL - Holdem - 3 players

SB: 189,044.00
      Hero (BB): 81,820.00
      BTN: 207,636.00

SB posts ante 700.00, Hero posts ante 700.00, BTN posts ante 700.00, SB posts SB 3,500.00, Hero posts BB 7,000.00

Pre Flop: (12600.00) Hero has Q:club: T:heart:

fold, SB raises to 21,000.00, Hero raises to 81,120.00, SB calls 60,120.00

Flop: (164340.00, 2 players) J:diamond: 9:diamond: 9:heart:

Turn: (164340.00, 2 players) 3:heart:

River: (164340.00, 2 players) T:club:

SB shows T:diamond: J:spade: (Two Pair, Jacks and Tens) (PreFlop 27%, Flop 64%, Turn 75%)
      Hero shows Q:club: T:heart: (Two Pair, Tens and Nines) (PreFlop 73%, Flop 36%, Turn 25%)
      SB wins 164,340.00

As usual I got it in with the best of it and lost lol. GG :rolleyes:

Having transfered $10 out - BR is now $193.19

Night all
    • Fagin
      Played the World Cup last night and didn't play particularly well. Finished outside the money and my team did just as badly so no extra cash there.

Today of course was the $10k freeroll on 888. Got home from work about 15 mins before the start after a very hectic morning. Played ok and was still in with less than 400 left when the following happened :-

Pacific Poker - $0+$0|300/600 NL - Holdem - 9 players

MP: 10,228.00
      MP+1: 22,788.00
      LP: 26,490.00
      CO: 17,158.00
      BTN: 15,623.00
      Hero (SB): 9,413.00
      BB: 4,178.00
      UTG: 20,698.00
      UTG+1: 8,301.00

BB posts ante 60.00, BTN posts ante 60.00, LP posts ante 60.00, MP+1 posts ante 60.00, CO posts ante 60.00, UTG posts ante 60.00, UTG+1 posts ante 60.00, MP posts ante 60.00, Hero posts ante 60.00, Hero posts SB 300.00, BB posts BB 600.00

Pre Flop: (1440.00) Hero has A:spade: 7:diamond:

UTG calls 600.00, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls 300.00, BB checks

Flop: (2340.00, 3 players) A:diamond: T:heart: 3:club:
      Hero checks, BB checks, UTG bets 3,600.00, Hero raises to 8,753.00, fold, UTG calls 5,153.00

Turn: (19846.00, 2 players) Q:heart:

River: (19846.00, 2 players) 6:diamond:

Hero shows A:spade: 7:diamond: (One Pair, Aces) (PreFlop 56%, Flop 80%, Turn 18%)
      UTG shows T:diamond: Q:spade: (Two Pair, Queens and Tens) (PreFlop 44%, Flop 20%, Turn 82%)
      UTG wins 19,846.00

As usual I made the mistake of getting all my chips in when I was WAY ahead. I seem to make a habit of this. Donked out again.
    • Fagin
      I thought it was about time I figured out how to upload a graph so here goes with my cash games graph for October -

It started out with a small loss but I managed to pick that up and run with it and ended up turning it into a reasonable gain.
    • Fagin
      Since that last one worked here's another -

This is my Tourney graph for this year. I don't play many compared to some but I do try to keep a reasonable ROI going :s_cool:
    • Fagin
      As I have just achieved one of my goals for this month I guess it is time for an update.

I have just made Bronze status on 888 and will keep that for the next month - nothing major, but definitely one of those small steps that leads somewhere at least a little bit better than where I was before I took that small step. Wherever that was.

I have also achieved and will maintain Silver status here on PS which will be useful as I plan on watching 2 videos each week between now and the new year ....... That was a goal for those who like to get picky about these things.

I was lucky enough to receive copies of Harrington on Cash Games I and II for my birthday recently and they will both be read, marked, learned and inwardly digested over the next 6 weeks also ...... That's another goal right there folks!

I an currently playing NL2, NL6 and some NL10 on 888 with a BR of $241. If all goes well I hope to be playing just NL10 soon with the occasional NL6 table if I see the right seat available. That is of course dependant on the continuous increase in my BR as I tend to be fairly conservative in my BRM.

More l8r

• Fagin
      Well ..... after over 500k hands and nearly 20 months I finally hit another Royal Flush!! I even managed to get a raise paid off on the river lol. Considering his hand I was surprised he even got to the river but no complaints from me, I was 95% sure I was ahead on the flop and turn and strangely that became 100% on the river. :s_cool:

Pacific Poker - $0.10 NL - Holdem - 9 players

UTG: $10.00
      UTG+1: $13.94
      MP: $17.46
      MP+1: $10.15
      Hero (LP): $10.33
      CO: $11.14
      BTN: $10.00
      SB: $1.92
      BB: $2.00

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has J:diamond: Q:club:

fold, UTG+1 calls $0.10, fold, fold, Hero calls $0.10, fold, fold, fold, BB checks

Flop: ($0.35, 3 players) A:diamond: 7:spade: Q:diamond:
      BB checks, UTG+1 bets $0.17, Hero calls $0.17, fold

Turn: ($0.69, 2 players) K:diamond:
      UTG+1 bets $0.51, Hero calls $0.51

River: ($1.71, 2 players) T:diamond:
      UTG+1 bets $1.28, Hero raises to $3.26, UTG+1 calls $1.98

Hero shows J:diamond: Q:club: (Royal Flush) (PreFlop 70%, Flop 77%, Turn 85%)
      UTG+1 mucks 2:spade: Q:spade: (One Pair, Queens) (PreFlop 30%, Flop 23%, Turn 15%)
      Hero wins $7.82 :s_biggrin:
    • Fagin
      Finally managed to get some time to watch the Brazilian Grand Prix. I've been avoiding the result since Sunday. Enjoyed a few beers with the race and consider it time well spent.

I even found some strategies that got me thinking about poker.

The one that set the thinking off as Button's overtake of Alonso that got him on the podium. He spent the previous lap, and that one specific lap setting up the overtake.

The move looked simple but required an understanding not just of his opponent (Villan), and his abilities (Range). not to mention the track (the table), but also himself (Hero) and his abilities (Hand).

Hero took him on a Straight, was All In and Flush by the turn, and left Villan Drawing Dead on the River.

Sorry if that seems a bit cheesy but in My Blog and after a few beers I guess I'm entitled
    • Fagin
      After 3 really good days finishing up by 2BI (ish) each day on NL10, my first 3 days playing primarily NL10, all of a sudden I can't hit a flop with a baseball bat never mind a hand.

We've all seen it - KK raise pre and for no reason get 5 callers and an A on the flop. I play check/fold and 3 of them get it all in with rag As.

Limp in the CO with 8s9s after 3 other limpers. Flop comes 6s7sKd. I play my OESFD and not only do I not nit my str8 I also do not hit my flush and lose to someone playing 55.

I have looked back at my hands for the last 2 days and if I had a FD or OESD on the flop I would have saved 3BI by folding there and then!

I have played numerous small to medium pairs and flopped a set less than 1:15 times. Both of those I ended up folding to a rivered flush.

Variance is such a bitch at times.
    • Fagin
      Time for some lessons in poker -

Lesson 1/ - never limp and never get your chips in with the best hand before the river. The more astute among you will note that there are 2 lessons combined in one here - extra value!

Pacific Poker - $1.80+$0.20|150/300 NL - Holdem - 8 players

SB: 3,390.00
      BB: 6,860.00
      UTG: 758.00
      UTG+1: 7,562.00
      MP: 11,418.00
      Hero (MP+1): 11,470.00
      CO: 2,940.00
      BTN: 8,355.00

Chip leader, been playing well and reading situations well. Now for the first mistake, I limped! No idea why, some sort of brain fart or something. ?(

Hero posts ante 30.00, UTG+1 posts ante 30.00, SB posts ante 30.00, UTG posts ante 30.00, BB posts ante 30.00, MP posts ante 30.00, BTN posts ante 30.00, CO posts ante 30.00, SB posts SB 150.00, BB posts BB 300.00

Pre Flop: (690.00) Hero has 8:club: K:club:

fold, fold, fold, Hero calls 300.00, CO calls 300.00, fold, fold, BB checks

Flop: (1290.00, 3 players) 8:heart: 4:heart: 6:club:
      BB bets 967.00, Hero raises to 3,143.00, fold, BB calls 2,176.00

When he calls I put him on the FD straight away and decide that any non :heart: turn I will put him all in.

Turn: (7576.00, 2 players) K:diamond:
      BB checks, Hero bets 3,600.00, BB calls 3,387.00

Happy days no heart and I put him all in - he calls and I am way ahead - at this point PS Equilator makes it exactly 75:25 in my favour!

River: (14350.00, 2 players) A:heart:

BB shows 7:heart: Q:heart: (Flush, Ace High) (PreFlop 38%, Flop 53%, Turn 25%)
      Hero shows 8:club: K:club: (Two Pair, Kings and Eights) (PreFlop 62%, Flop 47%, Turn 75%)
      BB wins 14,350.00

Here ends lesson 1 with hero down to less than 5k :f_cry: :s_frown: