Pot Odds Question

• Daftpunk007
      I have often wondered when considering pot odds (on any street) why my bet is not added to the final pot.

For example;

If when to deciding to call a turn bet of 1000 into a pot of already 2000 chips the normal route would be:

My 1000 call for a pot of 3000 (2000 in the pot + my opponents bet of 1000)
      which would give me 3:1 odds or 33%

But if I do make the call the real pot is 4000.
      Shouldn't the odds be in 4:1 or 25%?

For a very specific example lets say I am holding AA on the river with a board of 4s,5c,Ks,7h,Js.

The pot is currently 5000 my opponent bets 5000. I have to decide what my pot odds are compared to my hand equity against my opponents range.

Pot odds calculation would say I have 2:1 or 50%.

But if I make the call and win the pot I actually win a 15000 (my call+pot+their bet)

So what I am asking is why don't I calculate my call into the final pot I win? Because as soon as I make the call those chips are gone and in the pot until the cards are turned over.

Now I really don't know anything about maths until I started to play poker so there is probably some really simple explanation for this that I am missing but I have always wondered about this.

Could someone explain it for me? Cheers
  • 2 replies
    • clawindsouza
      coz your playing to make profit and not to break even :)

if you add the extra call amount and calculate pot odds then you're not calculating how many times do i need to call to make the move profitable..

instead youre calculating how many times do i need to make this call to break even...
    • Daftpunk007
      Thanks for the reply.

I think i see what your getting at.

So would it be correct to say that pot odds are worked out like it is our bet against total profit from the pot rather than our bet against how much the final pot is?