How to start with NL 6-Max

• YinYangS
      YinYangS
      Bronze
      Hi guys!

I specialize at playing micro MTTs at PokerStars, but at the moment, I have some cash in my Party Poker Account.

I got a 2nd $50 capital there and built it up to $180 playing NL full rings.

Then I withdrew all $180 for the reason that Party Poker keeps on disconnecting which sometimes get me on tilt.

But then, I was able to enter the $50k snowball freeroll and won $80.

Now my problem is, I have a $65 bankroll on Party Poker so I decided I want to experiment on it. This time, my Party Poker hadn't been disconnecting much probably because I changed the skin.

Why not play NL Full Rings Again?
      • I had a bit of success with Full Rings before but then it's too swingy.
      • I believe to be successful there is directly related to how lucky you are with the hands, and how bad the players are.
      • Sometimes, I get lucky with hands, but no calls with my good hands.
      • When I have a hand, someone else has better. Or if I have a medium hand like AK, I don't hit the board. It's sometimes costly waiting for my small pocket pairs to flop that 12% chance to hit a set on the board.
      • And sometimes, I have serious bad luck against these bad players.

Why not 1-table Sit&Gos?
      • Playing them are a bit similar to MTTs but i hardly profit from them and i usually just get breakeven.

Why NL 6-Max?
      • Because I believe by playing them, it would improve my game on MTTs and poker on general.
      • Because I know there's a strategy to win it and I love studying strategies and I'm a fast learner, and I mostly learn through articles.
      • Because I like how challenging it is and how wild it can be so I think it would be fun. :f_biggrin:

Is it bad idea for someone specializing on MTTs to just play NL 6-Max out of the blue?

So any suggestions please?

Thanks!!!! :f_cool:
  • 15 replies
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      [quote]Originally posted by YinYangS

[list]
      [*]I had a bit of success with Full Rings before but then it's too swingy.
      [*]I believe to be successful there is directly related to how lucky you are with the hands, and how bad the players are.
      [/quote]variance is higher in SH therefore SH is even more swingy.

your belief is clearly not true. if not, all winning FR players are lukboxes. i dont quite like this coment esp when it comes from some one like you who has played quite abit already!
    • YinYangS
      YinYangS
      Bronze
      [quote]Originally posted by supeyrio
      [quote]Originally posted by YinYangS

[list]
      [*]I had a bit of success with Full Rings before but then it's too swingy.
      [*]I believe to be successful there is directly related to how lucky you are with the hands, and how bad the players are.
      [/quote]variance is higher in SH therefore SH is even more swingy.

your belief is clearly not true. if not, all winning FR players are lukboxes. i dont quite like this coment esp when it comes from some one like you who has played quite abit already![/quote]thanks for the comment.

hmmmm, my opinion probably stemmed from the fact that i play too tight in full ring or i usually just follow the starting hands chart there.

please convince me to try full ring again, hahaha. ^_^
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      If you play full ring, you're gonna reach the point where you'll have to move to 6max anyways. So basically you have two ways to go - climb the full ring ladder and later jump to 6max one, or start playing 6max from the beginning. I chose the second option :)
    • YinYangS
      YinYangS
      Bronze
      i'll probably try full ring a 2nd go before i go to short handed.

but i'd appreciate advises on how to start on NL 6-Max.

i might prefer ebooks as they might have some in-depth content on it.
    • YinYangS
      YinYangS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Bliausmas
      If you play full ring, you're gonna reach the point where you'll have to move to 6max anyways. So basically you have two ways to go - climb the full ring ladder and later jump to 6max one, or start playing 6max from the beginning. I chose the second option :)
      why do you think a player playing full ring will reach the point when he has to move to 6max?
    • Heffron89
      Heffron89
      Bronze
      Originally posted by YinYangS
      why do you think a player playing full ring will reach the point when he has to move to 6max?
      Cuz there will be less and less fish the higher u move and most FR players are just rakeback grinders which makes the game realllly nitty
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Heffron89
      Cuz there will be less and less fish the higher u move and most FR players are just rakeback grinders which makes the game realllly nitty
      This ^
      The real poker is available only in 6max :)
    • Andyuk18
      Andyuk18
      Bronze
      I might go from 6 max to full ring as i am currently getting raped at it!
    • YinYangS
      YinYangS
      Bronze

that's what i thought also. players at full ring nowadays are getting really tight. and you can double up only when you have a hand that beats a player's hand which he can't fold as well.
    • YinYangS
      YinYangS
      Bronze
      i played some 6-Max NL2/4 today and lost a few dollars. I then played an MTT and this is what I got.

I guess cash games really isn't for me and this win is telling me to stick to MTTs since I'm good at it. hahaha :f_biggrin:

$6 Buyin at Party Poker, 302 Players

3 of us were left, we made a deal based on chip count and I won $266!!!

I know it might be just small but i'm proud of it!

Just last week, I only have $3 on my Party Poker Account. Now it's $325! Through MTT win all! ^_^

Will continue to focus on MTT tournaments at Party Poker! :f_biggrin:

So goodbye short-handed cash games! :f_biggrin:

Thanks to all your comments though! :f_love:

• Heffron89
      Heffron89
      Bronze

that's what i thought also. players at full ring nowadays are getting really tight. and you can double up only when you have a hand that beats a player's hand which he can't fold as well.
      Ye I even tried some NL10 FR on stars and wow.... Full with russian/belarus and whatnot complete nits lol...
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze

Ye I even tried some NL10 FR on stars and wow.... Full with russian/belarus and whatnot complete nits lol...
      obv if u cant make lots of money with ppl folding so much, something is wrong with ur game :)
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Go Rio! Stand up for us FR "nits"! :D
    • adamxavier1
      adamxavier1
      Bronze
      Hey guys

I just recently made the jump from FR to SH and for what its worth, I've found if your game is more aggro, SH is both more profitable and more enjoyable. Wait I guess profit and enjoyment go hand in hand!
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      Lot of ppl have no idea about dynamics in FR =)

SH regs call us nits when in fact we quite often have wider opening range from MP2 than they from EP. (which is the same position) :D

Hehe just teasing SH regs a bit no offence guys =)

Also the traffic is totally okay on major sites up to midstakes FR.. So saying you basicly have to move to SH one day is wrong =)
      if ur saying that small/mid stakes FR is unbeatable because all the rakeback grinders, then good luck fighting midstakes SH non rakeback winning pros, that must be fun :f_biggrin:
      ( yea im scared of those.. iv heard they even raise KQo)