bankroll management

• jasonforan
      jasonforan
      Bronze
      I deposited 200euro($280) on party poker about a week ago and grinded up to a current bankroll of 260euro($360) playing $6 sit n gos.I usually multi table 4 tables at a time and wandering what kind of bankroll should i have in case of downswings/tilt etc?How many BI should i have and when would it be safe to move up to $10 sit n gos multi tabling 4 tables?
  • 13 replies
    • shehanshah
      shehanshah
      Bronze
      U shld have about 100buyins minimum for sng's normally, coz the variance is like really really high. Personally i would say u shld move to the $10's when u hv like $2.5K bankroll. For now grind the 6$'suntil u reach a solid 2-2.5k bankroll coz u will gain huge experience and also wont tilt emotionally if u have 2-3days bad streak on the $10's(for example if u run bad for 40-50 sng's-500$ gone).
    • jasonforan
      jasonforan
      Bronze
      Thanks for the reply,very usefull info :D
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      I thought Normal SnGs were like 30BI BRM? Only MTTs need over 100BI BRM because of the large player pools causing higher variance.
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      PokerStrategy.com recommends 50 buy-ins for SNG's (not including tournament fees). PocketFives recommends 65 buy-ins, including tournament fees, saying that 65 is for people who cannot or don't want to redeposit.

Using this:

Variance Calculator

You can find, based on your ROI and risk of ruin, the amount of buyins you need. For example, if you're willing to accept a 1% risk of ruin and have a 10% ROI, you need 67 buy-ins. (This assumes you won't move down in limits, so you could probably cut that to 50-60, depending on your willingness to move down).

Essentially, there is no hard and fast rule for BRM. I use 65, because I don't want to move down in limits or redeposit. 50 is a less conservative BRM I'm considering switching to. You could go lower, if you were willing to move down when you had to and redeposit if need be.

In the game of Poker, there are rarely absolute truths, only relative ones. Once you realise that, that'll change everything you read about Poker. (Of course, relative truths are usually somewhat accurate. Don't use 20BI or 200BI at SNG's, for example)

Also, in regard to taking shots: Let's say you decide on 50 BI. Once you near 500 bucks, say, when you have 400-450, load up 4 tables, 2 6-dollar ones and 2 10-dollar ones. That way you can get used to the new style of play, and still be fairly safe.
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Wriggers
      I thought Normal SnGs were like 30BI BRM? Only MTTs need over 100BI BRM because of the large player pools causing higher variance.
      depends, I use 500 BI because I'm a chicken
    • jasonforan
      jasonforan
      Bronze
      hmm quick question if im multitabling 4 tables at $6 would 1 BI be $6 or should i count it as $24?
    • martoman2k10
      martoman2k10
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jasonforan
      hmm quick question if im multitabling 4 tables at $6 would 1 BI be $6 or should i count it as $24?
      for sngs 1 BI(1 buyin) is 1 basically 1 tournament buy in.

the buyin is $6.
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jasonforan
      1BI = 1BI always, however if you multitable your ROI will have a drop (probably) so your BRM will have to be a bit tighter if you want to keep the same risk

here pzhon explains it way better than me

a few questions for mass sng multi-tablers
    • Heffron89
      Heffron89
      Bronze
      Bankroll management is something individual imo, some peopel are comfortable with 20bi even on higher stakes cuz if they run bad they can move down quick.

Some peopel prefer to have 100bi+ etc, but for sngs I think 50 BI swing can happen
    • jasonforan
      jasonforan
      Bronze
      Thanks for all the replies. @alejandrosh great thread cleared up alot of questions. Think il try to build up a 100BI BR because dont really fancy moving down and party poker dont do standard speed 10 player sit n gos for some strange reason for $3.Thinking of move my BR to another site after i clear my sign up bonus because party pokers rake is pretty steep and plus theres no rakeback.Anyone know any good sites for sit n gos?Was thinking of pokerstars or full tilt...
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      From my (albeit limited) experience of PartyPoker SnGs, i'd move site ASAP. As far as I can remember, all the micro SnGs are turbo fests with horrific rake. I'd move to one of the big sites if I were you :)
    • Svizac28
      Svizac28
      Bronze
      From my (albeit limited) experience of PartyPoker SnGs, i'd move site ASAP. As far as I can remember, all the micro SnGs are turbo fests with horrific rake. I'd move to one of the big sites if I were you :)
      that's my experience with PartyPoker SNGs as well :(
    • twinny90
      twinny90
      Bronze
      Whaaaaat! the variance is not high in sit n go's its actually less than mtt.And as for the $2.5k bankroll for 10$ sit n go's what are you talking about!!
      where did you hear this coz whoever told you this needs to come bck down to earth!
      i would reccomend having a 500$ bankroll.