table full of shortstack, switch from online to live games

• gnawhalak
      gnawhalak
      Bronze
      hello..

im currently playing online BSS .. but having a lot of trouble playing live cash games since most players on a FR table buy in only from 10-25 BBs..

So i have to play a bit tight(due to a lot of shortstacks and calling stations).. i can't get too many chances to get my good hands to be paid off well since opponents are short stacked.. and eventually, rake and -EV usually gets the best out of me..

im a winning player at the microstakes online but can't seem to crush fishy live games.. any help on making the transision?
  • 3 replies
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      It's pretty much the same as online but imo easier than micros.

There's 2 ways I deal with them, number 1 is to limp in behind in the multiway pots with reasonable cards, cos you still get the implied odds with 20bb stacks if it's limped round. the other way is to attack the limpers hard out which also seems to work.

It can be pretty frustrating cos the hand rate is so slow that you can sit for like 2 hours without playing a hand but be patient, the same shit that works online works live too.

If you're interested in reads and tells there's a real good book called "read 'em and reap" which phil helmuth writes bits in. I bought the book for like $15 and it paid for itself in the first session.
    • gnawhalak
      gnawhalak
      Bronze
      @ brad

ah.. thanks.. limping in behind is one thing I haven't tried yet since I was trying to stick on with my starting hand PF range as i always thought that its better to fold that to limp..

but i think that totally different story for live games since your right.. hand rate is too slow, I was sitting for 3 hours with no decent hand!

maybe my mistake was trying to isolate with marginal hands (mainly due to long wait without playing a hand) and get called multi-way with too many calling stations (mainly due to the reasoning that they get good pot odds for a piece of their money) and having a hard time playing postflop
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      yeah that happens, be prepared to give up postflop with no conti and remember you almost definitely will get paid off when you hit.

Also make your raises like 5 or 6bb + 1 for each limper, especially with a strong hand, you'll get called pretty light still. people will set mine with like half their stack preflop