Question about Mixed Hands

• CanuckPokerPlayer
      CanuckPokerPlayer
      Bronze
      Let's say you're the 1st of 3 players in the Early Position. You've got A3s as your hole cards. What would you do?

The reason I ask is that I've looked on the chart but I can't find where it says what to do when you're the first person to act immediately after the BB pre-flop. All the recommended actions are based on the condition that 1 or more players have acted before you.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks :)
  • 2 replies
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi CanuckPokerPlayer,

Starting hands do vary occasionally depending on the type of game you're playing, e.g. Short-handed (6 max) or Full-Ring (9 players) and whether you're playing short-stack, medium-stack or big-stack strategy.

This said, A3s is a relatively poor hand and will often be dominated if played. e.g. someone behind you calling with Ax where x is higher than a 3.

From any Early Position, this is an instant fold for me personally, you just have too weak a hand and too many players behind you to act afterwards. The chance of you flopping the straight or a flush draw are small.

In terms of the strategy guides, you are ok to use the (no raises) column as in EP1 you are always first to act.

Hope this helps (all views are my own personal preference, I'm just a moderator and not a coach) ;)

Bart
    • CanuckPokerPlayer
      CanuckPokerPlayer
      Bronze
      Ok thanks for the info