[NL2-NL10] NL50 SH AK top 2

• swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      0.25/0.50 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with K:heart: , A:club:
      MP3 folds, CO calls $0.50, BU folds, SB calls $0.25, Hero checks.

Flop: ($1.50) A:heart: , K:diamond: , 8:diamond: (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.20, CO calls $1.20, SB calls $1.20.

Turn: ($5.10) J:club: (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $3.50, CO calls $3.50, SB raises to $10.50, Hero raises to $50.76 (All-In), CO raises to $46.23 (All-In), SB calls $40.26.

Final Pot: $152.85

Should I push the turn here? SB is a pretty good player, I don't think he'd check-call flop and check-raise turn with 88, because of the flushdraw. CO would also raise a set, at least on the turn. JJ, KK and AA would've raised pre-flop so I'm almost sure I'm ahead here, but still: is it right to push 100BB with top 2 pair?
      other than that, bet more on the turn? I guess I should protect more, but (ironically) I didn't want a huge pot.
      btw, is it correct not to raise pre-flop? I tend to be passive with AK-AJ in the BB.
  • 9 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      And look what kind of mess you got into, not raising pre-flop:D 5 Handed game you have to be aggressive. I would 3-bet AK with blinds even if the raise would done by UTG. I think you loose a lot value not raising or 3-betting AJ+ from blinds.

I would bet/fold turn. Since I´ve no idea what SB could be holding and I don´t want to find out that he had QT.
    • snowylee
      snowylee
      Bronze
      I wouldve raised preflop yeah, I cant see it as more advantageous to not do it. Its either a 2pair or a straight here imo, like KJ or perhaps even J8s? But would he have called the flop with a gutshot when theres a flushdraw on the board? But Im a bit more unsure of what the CO has got, a combodraw perhaps? Axs?

Im quite unsure about what I wouldve done in your spot, some kind of 2pair seems more likely than a set, but I guess you cant rule out a set of 8s completely, but since youre not closing the round of betting but have the CO after to act I think I mightve folded as Kaitz wouldve.
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      actually I put SB on something like KJ, maybe AJ (I've seen some quite tight players call down TPGK). I was pretty sure CO had a flush draw, or maybe A small, since he was just calling (I figured 88 would've raised the turn at least) so I shoved to give bad odds or just push him out of the hand. QT is extremely unlikely, so I just ignored it ^^

Based on the likely hand ranges (please correct me if anything's missing), this is what equilator tells me:

http://www.PokerStrategy.com
      Operation completed... 16'044 games processed in 0 seconds.

Board: Ah Kd Jc 8d
      Dead:

Equity Win Tie Loss Hand
      Player 1: 26.558 % 26.558 % 0.000 % 73.442 % AdQd, Ad9d, Ad7d, Ad6d, Ad5d, Ad4d, Ad3d, Ad2d, QdJd, QdTd, JdTd, Td9d, 7d6d, 6d5d
      Player 2: 13.027 % 13.027 % 0.000 % 86.973 % 88, AJs, KJs, K8s, J8s, AJo, KJo, K8o, J8o
      Player 3: 60.415 % 60.415 % 0.000 % 39.585 % AcKh

----------------------------------------

• snowylee
      snowylee
      Bronze
      Yes KJ is quite likely, AJ only if they raise quite tightly. But I would probably have done what you did in the hand, when I play Im usually too fast with my decisions and I guess its the opposite here, overthinking and being cautious :) , you could think that it would be for the best to combine the both at the tables lol
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      hehe thanks for your help, much appreciated
      If you want the results (well if you don't, too bad, you'll see them anyway)
      SB had AJ and CO A2s for the NFD. River was an ugly J =/ backdoor full-house yay ^^
    • snowylee
      snowylee
      Bronze
      Wow, wasnt that far off of my initial thoughts. Not that I think I was able to put my original thoughts down instead of some mumbo jumbo haha :D . Ok I was thinking KJ more than AJ but.. a made 2pair on the turn none the less hehe..

Concerning that, is that generally a better play to just call with the AJ there? Im wondering because I always raise it, at least with only 1 caller. Sure, AJ isnt that strong a hand but against most people (those that I raise it up against) will probably fold to a cbet or something like that.
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      pre-flop with AJo I'd raise, especially against only 1-2 limpers, or fold. You don't want to be against too many opponents with AJo OOP.
      I'd call a raise with AJs on the button, but it's probably a bad play ^^
      On the flop though, I'd lead out, and fold to a raise, or c/c if called. Not entirely sure about this though
    • snowylee
      snowylee
      Bronze
      Indeed :) , well I guess it wasnt actually that hard to put him on AJ since many people actually doesnt raise it up hehe.
    • Thorsten77
      Thorsten77
      Black
      Raise preflop! Bet more on the turn. After his raise its close as you did not narrow their ranges preflop...