SNG Leaderboard in PokerStars

• intothejungle
      intothejungle
      Bronze
      Has anybody made in the top 10? If so, how?
      Seems like this is unbeatable with 9men sngs, but then again making those points on 45men is pretty sick too. Any PokerStars regs care to share some experience?
  • 7 replies
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Do you mean the Battle of the Planets promotion?

I cashed in that regularly when I was playing PokerStars SNGs. The low orbit requires ridiculous luck because so many people compete and skill doesn't matter much in batches of 20 tournaments, but if your ROI is high and you play a decent volume then you have a good chance to get a high orbit prize. There are fewer people competing for the high orbit prizes.

It may be a slight advantage to play 18-player or 27-player tournaments instead of 9-player tournaments, while it is a handicap to play the lower variance 6-max tournaments. You may want to calculate how many standard deviations above the mean you have to run in order to qualify for a prize (say by the scores of the previous week). If you only have to run 1 standard deviation above the mean, then you will qualify for a prize every 600 tournaments or so. If you have to run 2 standard deviations above the mean, it will take more like 4400 tournaments to get a prize. At one point my median result was to get a prize, but that was playing fewer tables so that playing 100 in a week in one level took effort.
    • intothejungle
      intothejungle
      Bronze
      Thanks, Phzon. Well, I've got only a small sample and I am still quite a bad player at sngs, so I can't make any predictions on my results. Or you mean to calculate the absolute mean of all points one can get in the batches of sngs?

I was just thinking of getting some motivation to play better in sngs. And it seemed like a good idea until I saw the points - top 10 in the low orbit, all have above 500 pts, or 25 pts a game. 1st in a 9men is 45, 2nd 27, 3rd is 18. So basically to get into top 10 I need a batch of 20 not only in the money, but with average 2nd finish...And I'm struggling to get past the 40% ITM

How do you get the calculations that 1sd above the mean is 1/600?
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      A result 1 standard deviation above the mean happens about 1 time in 6. A result 2 standard deviations above the mean happens about 1 time in 44. You can look these up in tables of the cumulative distribution function of the standard normal distribution.

Yes, you have to run extremely well to win the low orbit, and you only get 5 shots per week at each stake level. No one expects to win those, it's just a nice bonus.

Don't focus on how often you are ITM. The important percentage is your ROI.
    • DonCorleone369
      DonCorleone369
      Bronze
      I think you should just play your A-game and hope on a super run :D .. and the more you play, the more chance it will happen ;) just my 2 cents.. That's how I got there a few times..
    • DonCorleone369
      DonCorleone369
      Bronze
      I think you should just play your A-game and hope for a super run :D .. and the more you play, the more chance it will happen ;) just my 2 cents.. That's how I got there a few times (high orbit)..
    • intothejungle
      intothejungle
      Bronze
      Yeah, I got some knowledge in Stats ;) I just didnt realize you are talking about 6x100 hence 1/600 for a shot at the high orbit.

All I wanted to know was how people got in the top 10 here - 9,18 or27men, if someone would care to share :)

Oh, and Phzon, i know the bottomline is important but getting ITM means "+" for the bottomline. I am currently trying to figure out whether to start playing sng's at FullTilt because of the rb. I know longterm SUpernova is better in terms of benefits, but playing he 3-6$ sngs I won't get there anytime soon :) So that's something else that hits the bottomline along with the ROI
    • L3ST
      L3ST
      Bronze
      Does this "Battle of the Planets" include Fifty50 SNG's?