[NL2-NL10] Can I fold a set here? (NL10)

• inlovewithamsterdam
      inlovewithamsterdam
      Bronze
      Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.10(BB) Replayer
      SB ($10)
      BB ($4.85)
      Hero ($10)
      UTG+1 ($10)
      CO ($3.75)
      BTN ($6.52)

Dealt to Hero 7:diamond: 7:club:

Hero raises to $0.40, fold, fold, fold, SB raises to $1.30, fold, Hero calls $0.90

FLOP ($2.70) A:club: 8:diamond: 7:spade:

SB checks, Hero checks

TURN ($2.70) A:club: 8:diamond: 7:spade: J:diamond:

SB checks, Hero bets $1.60, SB raises to $4.20, Hero calls $2.60

RIVER ($11.10) A:club: 8:diamond: 7:spade: J:diamond: 5:heart:

SB bets $4.50 (AI), Hero calls $4.50 (AI)

SB shows A:spade: A:heart:
      (Pre 80%, Flop 95.7%, Turn 97.7%)

Hero shows 7:diamond: 7:club:
      (Pre 20%, Flop 4.3%, Turn 2.3%)

SB wins $18.76

It seemed obvious I was beat there, I couldn't fold it though.

On second thought, the only hands I see him playing this way is AA, AdKd, JJ (this one being most likely), maybe AJ - but with the last hand he's not likely to 3b pf and would surely ContiBet the flop.

Could I have played the hand differently? Is it just a cooler or was it obvious I was beat and I should have folded?

Cheers,
      Simon

PS. And forgot about the stats; he seemed a really solid player
      (VPIP: 13.4; PFR:10.5; 3Bet: 3.4; over 316 hands)
  • 5 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello inlovewithamsterdam,

And welcome to the forum! Hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future, so we will be able to help you fix your leaks and as well help move up the limits. Will be waiting for the next hands and till that good luck on tables!

About the hand:
      Preflop: Yes, you could avoid it by just folding preflop since you ain't getting the correct odds. :)

As played
      Postflop: Not much you can do while you hit what you wanted to hit, rather just ship it on turn and that's all.

Best regards.
    • inlovewithamsterdam
      inlovewithamsterdam
      Bronze
      thanks a lot!

What odds i need for that call pre-flop, though? I remember the Call20 rule (call if villain's stack is 20xhis raise or more), but I've heard of the Call8 rule too. The latter is supposed to apply when I'm quite sure I'll stack villain off every time I hit.

Isn't that right?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by inlovewithamsterdam
      thanks a lot!

What odds i need for that call pre-flop, though? I remember the Call20 rule (call if villain's stack is 20xhis raise or more), but I've heard of the Call8 rule too. The latter is supposed to apply when I'm quite sure I'll stack villain off every time I hit.

Isn't that right?
      Yes, Call20 rule likely is the best for beginning. Call10 rule for example means that you have to get always his stack when you Call preflop but often times it happens that you wont.
    • Meemawuk
      Meemawuk
      Bronze
      I think in 3-bet pots, particularly where the villan has the initiative, he's much more likely to stack off if you make a set. Call 8 is a bit extreme though. Stacking villan and winning every time you make a set is going to be pretty tough. For example, he's never stacking off with KK/QQ/JJ on an A high board. Same with QQ/JJ on a A/K high board.

You're right though, he's never 3-betting your UTG raise with AJ being so nitty, and if for some reason he does, he's betting that flop 100%. He might think he's trapping with AK here (though he would more often bet the flop I think,) so you have to go broke.

I'd always fold here pre.
    • inlovewithamsterdam
      inlovewithamsterdam
      Bronze
      You're 100% right mate, cheers.

I'll avoid these situations by folding pre if not getting the right odds.