request for two new articles

• belayd
      belayd
      Global
      I would like to see two new articles made available, preferably written by members who are Silver or higher:

1) The basics of showing/mucking. When do you show your winning hands that didn't go to showdown, and when do you show your folded/mucked hands? What are the various reasons for showing/not showing?

2) The basics of results orientation. I know it's not good to be results-oriented in the short term, but over what long term is a results orientation appropriate? In what other situations is it important to pay attention to results even if they are short-term?

I haven't been able to find articles on these subjects that are available to Basic members and think it would be good for Basic members to read up on them, to get a good grounding in two important areas early on.
  • 8 replies
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Great to see you really getting involved in the material and forum pages belayd, good to have you around in the community ;)

Thanks for the feedback, I will of course leave this for the educational guys & girls to look into the possibility, just wanted to say it's great to see you getting involved :)

Good luck & enjoy your poker.

Bart
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      How do I find out if and whether those articles have been posted?
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi belayd,

Really happy to see you active on the forum.

I will check with the education team and get back to you tomorrow.

Ingrid
    • Pascal
      Pascal
      Bronze
      Hi belayd,

I'm sure David will have a deeper look into it
      but I don't think we really need articles on these topics

1)
      there might be some opponents were you can introduce a tight/loose image or get them on tilt by showing a bluff
      but in general not showing is the better option in 99,99%
      you want them to pay for infos and not give them for free

2)
      you should never think about the results too much
      if you play hand the correct way and play with a proper bankroll management the results will come on its own
      so key is to always think about : was my play right/ +EV instead of "did I win the hand/much this month"

of course if results are bad about a large sample
      there might be something wrong with your game plan
      but again then it is the game plan you should think about and not the results

Cheers,

Pascal
    • FishermansFriend
      FishermansFriend
      Bronze
      Hi belayd!

I agree completely agree with Pascal on showing. You will definitely not make a mistake if you just muck every time, and I think 99.9% of successful online players do it the same way.

Results orientation depends a bit on definition imo. It generally just refers to "oh I'd have won here, next time I get my money in or I lost, next time I fold". I think it's pretty clear that this is not the good approach, hence the common warning "don't be results oriented". That of course doesn't mean that you shouldn't analyze your hands in retrospective and use all the information you got at the end of the hand to improve your game. For example in a situation where you try to bluff because your assumption is that your opponent would fold top pair or even better and he ends up calling you with K high (extreme example i know), the results are valuable in terms that you probably made a wrong assumption so next time, against that specific opponent you won't do it (or maybe it's not good at all). You get extra info from showdowns and you should use it to improve your game (note that this is exactly why you don't show your hands when you don't have to).
      Also you can use some long term results to improve. For example if you loose a lot of money from the button you are probably doing something very wrong and you should examine your hands from the BU to find your leaks.

In a nutshell not being result-orientated just means that you should never ever judge your play based on the outcome, but on the expected value of your decisions, and that's it. It doesn't say that results are not valuable information or that you shouldn't use them to improve, it just tries to catch the correct mentality in poker and the way you should think about hands. It's not won or lost, it's +EV or -EV.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
      Marton
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Thank you guys! =)

@belayd, are you happy with the answers?

Ingrid
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Yes, I'm happy with the answers, although maybe this information should be integrated (in brief form) into existing articles.
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      I'll forward your feedback belayd. Keep them coming ;)

Ingrid