Slow playing

• kuisna
      Ok, guys, so I've been into SnGs (10-20 players, 0.10-1$ buy ins) for some time and I came to realize that the saying "play monster hands agressive" is not really profitable in SnGs, especially at the late stages when people either turn super agressive or super tight or when it comes to heads up. I'm not talking about the pocket pairs, high suited connectors or face cards preflop, but about the monster hands made on the flop or turn with little odds for a better hand.

Of course, there always are some calling stations hoping to hit nuts on the river, so I understand that slow playing against some players won't work well. Though I'm talking about the regular players that usually fold a bet if they miss the flop. That's why I wanted to ask your opinion whether you recommend slow playing (I like to call that Fishing) monster hands in the long run or not, also your opinion why.

Thanks in advance :)
  • 1 reply
    • pzhon
      Hi. I recommend not using the term "fishing" for slow-playing, since it is already used to describe drawing, and most poker players will assume you mean that instead.

Some players slow-play every time they have a strong hand. The stronger their hand, the more tricky they try to get. They have a lot of fun slow-playing. However, sometimes they leave a lot of money on the table as a result.

There are times to slow-play with strong hands, and times to play big hands quickly. Here are a few ideas to keep in mind:

When you have the deck crippled, tend to slow-play. If you have AA and you flop quads, players will worry that you have just one ace, and you know no one has trips. You are holding all of the good cards in the deck, so tend to wait for players to catch a pair or to build confidence in a hand like 66 unimproved or to try to bluff with JT unimproved.

When there are draws possible, tend not to slow-play. Your opponents can put you on a draw and call with a weak made hand. Your opponents might have the draw and they might be willing to pay for it, but they won't pay nearly as much after their draw misses. When you flop a straight, there are always draws possible, so usually don't slow-play with a flopped straight. A player with two pair will often stack off on the flop, but might not after a straight becomes possible with one card.

Tend to slow-play when you feel your opponent has missed, and can't call a bet. Give your aggressive opponent a chance to bluff. Avoid slow-playing against calling stations. They like to call, so give them a chance to lose a huge pot by starting to build one sooner. Don't slow-play if you think your opponent's hand has improved. Few players will fold on a street where they improve.