running breakeven , trying to identify leaks in my HUSNG strategy

• conall88

so yeah, I'm having a hard time at the 25/50 blind level and beyond vs calling stations when effective stacks are over 10-12bb vs stationey opponents.

This is basically just before we can play push/fold. I feel my general strategy is lacking in this department.

I'm going to record a session of 2-3 turb sngs, and hopefully post it. would anyone be able to review it? ( preferably someone who plays $6 HUSNGs or higher :) )
  • 4 replies
    • pzhon
      A sample of 100 tournaments does not say much even though the variance is lower in HUSNGs. You don't describe your strategy, so it is hard to guess your leaks.

You may be used to exploiting opponents who fold too much. When you encounter a better opponent, or one who is accidentally calling too much against you at times, you are no longer exploiting that weakness, and in fact you might be the one exploited. For example, if most of your opponents need a pair or draw to continue after you bet the flop, you will have a huge immediate profit from making continuation bets or betting into the preflop raiser. Once you get called by such a tight player, you are giving them credit for a pair, so you check-fold on many turns, say when you don't have second pair or a strong draw. This leaves you vulnerable to players who will float on the flop to take the pot away on the turn. Against someone who floats a lot, you should be firing a second barrel more often or check-calling instead of giving him credit for a pair.

But it could be that a few of your opponents actually had hands, and that hoping that these were just floating would spew chips.
    • conall88
      yeah that sounds like something I should consider. most of my opponents are loose passive. any good methods to determine whether villain floats flop much? I suppose increasing flop cbet size slightly and reducing turncbet size would aid in this endeavour?

I think my 3betting needs a lot of work.

my general strat at beginning of matches tends to be smallball.

I minraise 60-70% of btns. I mix in some 3x raises to see how villain reacts. I normally play a reactive strategy rather than proactive, and use reads to decide what to do. I tend to lead OOP when I believe villain has a piece/range he won't bet, but will call, and that I have good equity against.
      I call OOP more vs passive opponents who let me control pot sizes, and less versus aggro opponents.

I think that my play is currently too passive for my liking and that I'm missing out on a lot of +EV situations from my lack of 3betting pre. So Ive decided to construct a few seperate 3betting ranges for the main villain types I normally see in HUSNGs. how does effective blinds affect your 3betting strat? eg does your strat at 20/40 differ from 25/50?

thoughts on what I have come up with? are they too tight? too loose? what would you change? why would you change it?

1] Loose-Passive[station]:
      99+,A8s+,KTs+,QTs+,A9o+,KTo+,QJo - mostly v strong hands, plenty of weaker broadways which we can evaluate on flop.

2] Loose-Aggressive:
      Since we expect to get played back on, Ive opted for a a strong range, to simplify post flop decisions

3] Tight-Aggressive:
      most of the time villain isn't going to be calling our 3bets, but when he does we have a decent chance of flopping something decent with this range. some suited junk added in to help balance things a bit, and to exploit villain's nitty tendencies. Obviously we may elect to just call with some of these hands, esp as effective stacks decrease/blinds increase.

4] Tight-Passive:
      villain folds enough either preflop or postflop for us to be able to gain chips from this in the long run, I think. no real point 3betting our nuts (unless of course he calls pre lots and fit or folds flop, eg goes broke /w TPTKvs our two pairs +)
    • johny8984
      not sure if your still intrested but id be more than happy to go threw a few or your hand historys and try and find leaks 4 you (no charge :) )

i play the regular speeds just moved threw the equilvent level with more than 12% roi more than happy to go threw your hhs tho
    • triple2
      Yeah, I had trouble at first with the same sort of thing but the following article helped put it in percpective for me.

This helps a ton in identifying what sort of player you are up against and how to adjust against that type of opponent.