first time using pot odds and outs (includes HH)

• belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Here's a hand I marked to evaluate by myself to test my skill at pot odds and outs calculation.

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.02(BB) Replayer
      SB ($10.54) (47/2/2.6)
      BB ($1.93)
      UTG ($2.01) (39/5/2.8)
      UTG+1 ($1.95)
      UTG+2 ($2.16)
      MP1 ($3.41)
      Hero ($2.38)
      BTN ($6.18)

Dealt to Hero K:diamond: T:heart:

Since I'm dealing with two loose-passive players, I decide to raise as per what I learned in Basic Big-Stack Strategy.

fold, UTG+1 calls $0.02, fold, MP1 calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.10, fold, SB calls $0.09, fold, UTG+1 calls $0.08, MP1 calls $0.08

FLOP ($0.42) T:club: J:spade: Q:club:

I've now got an OESD, which gives me 8 outs and 2:1 odds. Since the Ac and 9c are flush cards, I have only 6 outs to a straight, but I do have a pair and therefore one out to make trips plus two more outs to make two pair, so my odds are actually better than with a standard OESD.

SB checks, UTG+1 bets $0.18, MP1 folds, Hero calls $0.18, SB calls $0.18

UTG must have a strong hand to be betting, but he only bets about 1/3rd of the existing pot, or 1/4 of the new pot. since I'm sure the calling station at SB will surely call, it's actually 1/5th of the pot. I have excellent odds to call, so I do.

TURN ($0.96) T:club: J:spade: Q:club: 8:spade:

Now my odds of making just the straight drop to 5:1 but I still have the three additional outs to trips/two pair. Even on the basis of a pure OESD I can still call a bet up to 23 cents.

SB checks, UTG+1 bets $0.14, Hero calls $0.14, SB calls $0.14

Villain #1 bets only about 1/8th of the pot. I have far better than 8:1 odds, so I call again.

RIVER ($1.38) T:club: J:spade: Q:club: 8:spade: 4:spade:

SB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks

SB shows J:diamond: J:club:
      (Pre 53%, Flop 60.6%, Turn 69.0%)

UTG+1 shows 5:club: 6:club:
      (Pre 23%, Flop 23.6%, Turn 16.7%)

Hero shows K:diamond: T:heart:
      (Pre 25%, Flop 15.8%, Turn 14.3%)

SB wins $1.32

Here, Villain #1 checks because he didn't make his flush. Villain #2 checks because he's a calling station who never takes initiative. I check because I have air and bluffing would be no good with the calling station directly behind me. It turns out checking behind was a smart move.

How'd I do on my 'rithmetic? :)
  • 4 replies
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Silver
      you played the hand fine, your never going to get SB off his hand... although i dont think SB could of played this hand worse
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Originally posted by pogodon
      you played the hand fine, your never going to get SB off his hand... although i dont think SB could of played this hand worse
      Take a look at SB's stack. Bastich had won five buyins in about 80 hands! There is no God....

But, seriously, how are my calculations of pot odds and outs?
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Silver
      I've now got an OESD, which gives me 8 outs and 2:1 odds. Since the Ac and 9c are flush cards, I have only 6 outs to a straight, but I do have a pair and therefore one out to make trips plus two more outs to make two pair, so my odds are actually better than with a standard OESD.

+1
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Pre: Very good, isolating limpers is a perfect strategy with a hand like k10 where we flop top pair a good % of the time

Flop: This is quite a hard spot. If we call flop and a 9 or an Ace comes on the turn/river we don't usually get any value. If a King comes and he bets we just folding right?

I think raising this flop is good if we know our opponent. Some players will lead alot with semi strong hands, maybe something like 910, j8, flush draws, and although they may call the flop we can still hit really good hands on the turn in an inflated pot and also there is a good chance with aggresion we can get them to fold.