Low limit FL = tilt

• jeangab123
      jeangab123
      Bronze
      Annnnnnnnnd there you go. No more BR :(

I had a good start at NL but I know i'm way too tilty so after going up to 70$ and down to 50$ again from bad play i switched to FL. Now, i'm a undergraduate physics student so I'm used to mental calculation and odds, it was really easy for me to pick it up. But, the complete absurdity of the limit led me to some WTF?! lost which would make me play not at my best oftentimes.

I ended up having sessions that were dead even or a bit negative. It's been 40 days of hovering in between 25 and 45$. Yesterday I got AA/AK and AA on 3 tables at the same time and lost em all to some runner runner draw for a whoopy 5 $. Tilted what was left...

Am i crazy or the micro limit FL is actually really hard to beat for a TAG style of play?
  • 16 replies
    • Gelsnr
      Gelsnr
      Bronze
      yeah it's really hard to beat, i was playing 9 tables of 25c/50c fr and was swinging up and down constantly, then went on a downswing, so switched to 50c/$1 6max playing 4 tables and have started to climb up steadily, they just seem to call all too easily when it's "just another 50c". i also had the same thing happen to me but it was kings on 3 tables and lost on all 3 lol
    • Damlqv
      Damlqv
      Bronze
      Im playing FL atm winning without problems but had the same fustration about it 3 weeks ago. You really need patience and a special mentalyty since some of the players will call you down with Q high and eventually hit at the river. This seems really anoying in the beginning, but when you learn to adabt to this you can valuebet very thin against some opponents and earn some eksra money.
      my style is really loose preflop, playing like 30%+ hands and then be selective with my hands preflop, depending of my opponents and the flop.
      And last ofc is BRM, I would recomend you to use it and not play 0,25/0,50 with only 45$, go with 250BB at least :)

GL with it if you give it an other go :)
    • jeangab123
      jeangab123
      Bronze
      I was playing at 0.05/0.10, of course! BRM is the backbone of solid play. But i feel like all the silver strategic article do not apply to this limit since people in general dont have a brain and do not understand their odds.

So, for a lot of opponents, unless you are absolutly sure you have some uncrackable nut, you should never engage...

No way im putting a single cent of my personnal earning in such a venture.. I'd like to start in 0.10/0.20 just to see how it goes. Maybe one day when i'm rich. Or maybe i'll get a BR back with one of the 6 tickets to the daily dollar I bought with FTP... since I racked like a b*tch during this last month haha.
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Bronze
      I'm so bad at limit hold em, any time i play a horse mtt i just fold all the hands that are limit cause its just so strange to me, i dont like poker were u cant bluff
    • jeangab123
      jeangab123
      Bronze
      No need to bluff (beside small steal pre flop/cbet flop or turn), play the stats .

Second starting capital, plox :D Next time, i'm trying 0.10/0.20 straight away. Ppl are bound to be less stupid.
    • Veeziits
      Veeziits
      Bronze
      i started with fixed limit as well, after month and a half i got to 180$ by playing .10/.20 and .25/.50, but then i got sickest bad beats which led in tilt actions and my br to 30$ just in one week :D the hardest thing for me was stop playing when i was loosing ecspacially when i felt so much better player than the rest at table, what probably wasn't right either, after that i took a break from poker for 2 month or so, and i can say it helped, maybe you should try it as well, maybe not so long though but week or so ;)
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      I understand how it can be frustrating to play against such players. You want to try out your advanced strategies on donkeys who don't understand strategy and against who it won't work.

The thing is. you don't want to play against good players. You want to play against players that make many mistakes. So when you do see they make a mistake then you think about how you can make profit from it and then do that. All about adapting.. your making big mistakes if you play the same against a pro and a donkey.
    • Gelsnr
      Gelsnr
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hahaownedlolz
      I understand how it can be frustrating to play against such players. You want to try out your advanced strategies on donkeys who don't understand strategy and against who it won't work.

The thing is. you don't want to play against good players. You want to play against players that make many mistakes. So when you do see they make a mistake then you think about how you can make profit from it and then do that. All about adapting.. your making big mistakes if you play the same against a pro and a donkey.
      this is really true, you have to seperate your plays against certain types of players, if you find a player is too fishy then betting with air on a coordinated flop is a no no, another little pointer is don't bother betting the river if you feel they might have a marginally better hand than yours cos they will never fold, another thing i learned playing smaller stakes was players will not fold king queen on a low flop, don't ask me why but this hand is like having flopped a royal flush lol

P.S. my earlier post i never lost a load of money that i stepped up in stakes to recoup, although it sounds like it, but i went down in tables, which was less money on all tables, to find players that were not going to call me down with kq lol
    • Helipacter
      Helipacter
      Bronze
      I mentioned something similar in the FL discussion group. Basically, if you've got a table that is full of fish then run.

This sounds counter-intuitive, but when you raise UTG with AA-TT and you get 6 callers you see what I mean. No matter how much aggression is shown, they still come along. You end up with at least 2 or 3 people seeing the river, and your premium hand has been cracked.

It happened to me two nights ago where my QQ was smashed by a rivered straight. The guy's avatar was of him looking slick in front of a Porsche. I considered taking my own life.

Anyway, in the above thread, I suggest looking for a table that has a few regs/rocks to balance it out. Obviously you still need a majority of fish, but I'm just saying look for a balance, otherwise your aggression will just cost you.
    • Heffron89
      Heffron89
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Helipacter
      I mentioned something similar in the FL discussion group. Basically, if you've got a table that is full of fish then run.

This sounds counter-intuitive, but when you raise UTG with AA-TT and you get 6 callers you see what I mean. No matter how much aggression is shown, they still come along. You end up with at least 2 or 3 people seeing the river, and your premium hand has been cracked.

It happened to me two nights ago where my QQ was smashed by a rivered straight. The guy's avatar was of him looking slick in front of a Porsche. I considered taking my own life.

Anyway, in the above thread, I suggest looking for a table that has a few regs/rocks to balance it out. Obviously you still need a majority of fish, but I'm just saying look for a balance, otherwise your aggression will just cost you.
      What bad players think is like "finally I got AA, ship ze pot" but face it AA might be the best hand pre but post flop it is not.

If you play a table full of fish ur in heaven imo, but u must adapt to it.
    • jeangab123
      jeangab123
      Bronze
      Yeah I guess I'll try harder next time.
      NOW, if my friends could make more SP that'd help getting started again haha.
      Still need 20$ to be able to transfer the money from pokerstrategy.com to a room..
    • poger8
      poger8
      Silver
      As a FL FR player, my advice for you is - be ready to many many bad beats, or don't play FL. Today in ordinary 300 hands I lost AA < K9 (K turn, 9 river), KK < AK (straight) and QQ < A6, on other 2 KK got only blinds. If I'd start tilting after sessions like this, I'd lose my bankroll long long ago.
      And short-handed tables push you to play even more border hands and meet more aggressive opponents, and pressure in losing sessions may be much tougher - like losing 55BB (almost 5 full FL stacks) in 15 minutes.
    • One12ver
      One12ver
      Bronze
      like losing 55BB (almost 5 full FL stacks) in 15 minutes.

Tilt? :f_wink:
    • poger8
      poger8
      Silver
      Originally posted by One12ver
      like losing 55BB (almost 5 full FL stacks) in 15 minutes.

Tilt? :f_wink:
      No, "usual" Stars play, just seeing money getting to opponents time after time after time with hands like AK < TT, and TT < 66, KJ < QT (J on the flop), AJ < A3 etc. BTW starting today's session, I could beat this record with proud help of Poker Stars: in FR :f_eek: I lost 34.5BB in 8 minutes, which leads to spectacular speed almost 260 BB/hr. Though in this session I even reached 0 at some point, but still finished it with -18BB :f_frown:
    • jeangab123
      jeangab123
      Bronze
    • jeangab123
      jeangab123
      Bronze
      Big losing session... its kind of depressing. You know these sessinos where all your good hands/draw do not hit and you go -40BB in 40 minutes.