Teaching my wife to play poker

• roopopper
      Ok I'm teaching my wife to play poker I'm going to record the progress here and hopefully it wont be too traumatic!!!

Day 1

Learning position at the table..................pass 1 hour...........

........... this may take longer than originally first thought!!! :rolleyes:
  • 45 replies
    • EagleStar88
      Good luck Roo & mrs Roo, great idea for a blog. Don't go falling out over it though :P

• lessthanthreee
      this is going to be so epic. subscribed
    • koosMaras

Will definitely follow this one.
    • Hlynkinn
      Sounds like a bad idea inviting your wife into your hobby =) :s_biggrin:

but yea I'm subscribed as well :P
    • stephener
      like this...
    • ihufa
      Teach her to take care of the house while you play sounds like a better idea
    • jbpatzer
      I taught mrsjb how to play, and then got accused of not doing something or other. Can't remember what, but it was bad, and now we don't play any more. Probably just as well. I hope it goes better for you.
    • L3ST
      Dunno if you know what you're getting into. My GF got pretty mad for stealing her big blind too light while she was running bad, 3-handed at the bubble in a home SNG.
    • Alficor1
      This thread has potential imo. I'll def follow.

Pics of wife are mandatory imo :f_biggrin: .
    • purplefizz
      alficor, really? :O

maybe i shld teach my husband how to play...
    • evertonroar
      WHATEVER you do - DONT let her find out you can do direct transfers from your bankroll to hers on Full tilt. just don't. trust me....
    • Alficor1
      Originally posted by purplefizz
      alficor, really? :O
      Dunno which part of my post are you reacting to, either way - yeah, really.
    • roopopper
      great feedback guys!! :P

Day 2 .........

Lisa is still struggling with the concept of position so thought it maybe a good idea to dive straight into playing.... :P

Opened my full tilt account and clicked on play chips, the strategy I thought maybe best to start with is mss, have got a printed version of the starting hand chart stuck to the wall so here we go!!!

Lisa is leaning forward staring at the screen enthusiastically..... this is looking promising!!!.............................................6 mins later she is leaning back in the chair and beginning to get bored as she has "not had a hand"!!!!! lol I explain that patience is what will make a winning player just as she gets QQ!!!
      As we are playing with play chips and Lisa is trying to learn starting hands we don't worry about position too much but I say raise three times the bb plus 1 bb for every caller, Lisa raises and as we are playing with play chips... you guessed it the whole table calls the raise and a few call all-in!! lol Result..............
      Lisa is beaming with joy as she virtually takes every chip for miles around with her 3 Queens!!! :P

To give Lisa some idea about mss play I said it is better to leave the table now with those winnings, so I clicked off and popped up another table with 700 starting play chips....Lisa frowned seriously and yelled at me "where are all my winnings!!"
      "Don’t worry they are safe in your bankroll" I replied!!! lol :rolleyes:

Going to hopefully open a seperate poker account for Lisa at the weekend so we can track her game and stuff :)

Roo :P

p.s "Alficor!!!!" I see your spoiler!!! asked Lisa if she would mind if I popped up a pic........... no problem!!! :P
    • EmanuelC16
      Hehe! Good luck teaching her! Afaik, there's no problem if she also gets a PS.com account so you can both update us on your progress here.

• roopopper

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Me and Lisa on holiday :P
    • stevegold87
      hehe my gf plays SNGs as well and she is getting much better at it. She already had a basic knowledge of poker when I met her (WoW) so that was easier than expected.
    • ukwagon
      Subscribed :)
    • YinYangS
      alright, subscribed!!!! :f_biggrin:

wahahahaha! ^_^

this is such a fun read. would be interesting if you'd post a picture of your wife. hahaha ^_^
    • hackbinder
      My wife, wanting to try something we could both enjoy together, tried to get me to teach her how to play.

At first, I taught her "live" with real cards and chips so she got used to the concept of what makes a good hand, betting, the structure of the game, the point of the game and basic play.

She got the basics down in a few nights. We would then "play". I put "play" in quotes because we weren't necessarily trying to win, we were just trying to get her comfortable with how the game works, talking through it all etc.

Then came the beginning of the end. She kept thinking that I was bored and not having fun (not true, I was happy to do all this) so she said I should "try".

So, I did. Big mistake.

After a few "games" she didn't think the game was for her. It was the bluffing. I guess she felt is was kind of like "lying". Maybe spouses should not play games based on deception against each other!

Not wanting her to lose enthusiasm, I made her an account where she could play for play money. It was so nice!

My name is "dackbinder".
      Hers was "dackbinderette".

I explained that playing for play money at the lowest stakes there are lots of beginners and I could coach her through the game THAT way. That lasted two very short sessions. The game was just too fast.

And that was that.

I don't know what I'm trying to say or what my point is, I'm just sharing.